Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 45
Page 45 of 72 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

Quote Originally Posted by JimPage View Post
    I just don't understand why everyone on here complains over and over about the delays. Man up. There are delays and more delays expected. Be patient or take some action with your politicians. This constant belly aching is tiresome. It's no wonder some clerk in the office blew his/her cool one time. Sheesh!
    Whining about the whiners... sheesh!

Ya'll just move to Utah, we will get your permit knocked out right quick.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

3. Quote Originally Posted by JimPage View Post
    I just don't understand why everyone on here complains over and over about the delays. Man up. There are delays and more delays expected. Be patient or take some action with your politicians. This constant belly aching is tiresome. It's no wonder some clerk in the office blew his/her cool one time. Sheesh!

Jim,

Not complaining about delays, complaining about horrible customer service. I'm a a public employee also and I don't spend a day at work without remembering that my wages are paid by tax payers and they deserve to be treated like a valued customer (or patient in my case), not as a horrible bother with no right to inquire about the goings on of thier business with the government. I have worked in the public sector for many years and seen people who interact with customers the way this joker did recieve corrective action ,and if they repeatedly acted that way they lost thier job.

And yes I have taken action with follow up phone calls to the county clerk as well as this young mans immediate supervisor.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by JimPage View Post
    I Be patient or take some action with your politicians.
    Trying to do just that. There is another thread in this forum (need help from Erie County) I need info by town on length and how the references are contacted. If Orchard Park PD can do in in 4 months (still excessive IMHO) then there is no reason any other town or department should take double that.
    The Phrase "without delay" is mentioned 6 times in Article 400. If we can educate ourselves then we can put all the Mayors and Council People in all of these towns on notice that Licensed Gun Owners are sick and tired of being treated as 2nd class citizens and if you want to be elected then WTF are you gonna do with your Police Chief's to fix the problem. Make it an election issue and you will at least get promises and open a dialogue.
    If you have received your permit recently hit this thread and let me know.
    Perhaps we can have a list by town and village of the whole county.
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/new-york-discussion-firearm-news/24882-need-help-erie-county-ny-forum-members-asap.html

Quote Originally Posted by jb24 View Post
    Its hit and miss on getting help from the permit office. I called today to check on the status and they looked it up for me. It was signed by the judge last week, but he said it would still be another 2 - 3 weeks before i will get it.
    A friend at work is selling one of his pistols and I am going to buy it from him when i finally get my papers. Can anyone tell me how i'm going to have to go about doing that? Is the process for doing that longer than if i buy one at a store?
    You still need to take bill of sale (the Erie county clerk has a form online for permit to permit transfers here) to the clerk's office and get your pistol permit with the weapon listed on it before taking possession of the gun.

Which makes it a bit risky. After getting your permit you now have to confront a person who has both your gun and your money, and you are defenseless.

When a gun is purchased from an individual, a dated bill of sale is required to add the pistol to the new owner's permit. The bill of sale must show both the buyer's and seller's names, addresses, permit numbers, and the counties that permits are in. The gun must be described by make, model, caliber action and serial number. Once the handgun is registered at our department, it may be picked up by the buyer, and the seller has 10 days to come to the Pistol Permit Office to have the weapon removed from his/her permit.

A Private Sale /Transfer Couldn't be Easier

Quote Originally Posted by jb24 View Post
    A friend at work is selling one of his pistols and I am going to buy it from him when i finally get my papers. Can anyone tell me how i'm going to have to go about doing that? Is the process for doing that longer than if i buy one at a store?
    Actually, nogods is not quite accurate in his assessment. Licensed Gun Owners especially in NY are by their very nature, the most law abiding citizens of the community so the actual risk is minimal if you do it his way.
    If you do it the right way it is very easy.
    Fill out the form mentioned, Take the form to the PPO. You will get your PP with the pistol being sold listed on your permit. Go back to the seller and give him the money and receive your pistol. If the seller is from a different county, have him make a copy of his license.
    I have done this three times and it couldn't be easier, I have also made a better printing form here. There is also a better form here

The PPO does not keep the aforementioned Pistol Transfer/Bill of Sale/Private Sale either.
    The seller will have to have his permit updated withe the removed pistol the next time he visits the PPO.

7. New member here. I applied in Jan of 2012, took the course, got fingerprinted and handed in my application at Erie County Jan 6th. I am in Cheektowaga and my references have hand delivered the forms they have been sent by the Local PD. I have a couple questions for others in Cheektowaga. About how long before you hear from an officer for an interview and do they interview by phone or do you go to the Police Dept. Thanks

8. Mort, I received my permit a year ago. At the time my interview and references were done via phone. I was contacted within 2 weeks as well as references

9. Ziggy much appreciated. Then about how long after that did it take for you to hear from Erie County? Thanks again

10. Well a guy I work with who turned his in two months after me got his letter yesterday, can't say I'm not agitated im hoping maybe sometime this week as they went to the judge the same week

11. Progress update

Quote Originally Posted by JR63 View Post
    Hi Folks,
    I'm new to the site, but have learned alot from reading thru this thread. I have just started my Erie Co. permit process and will try to keep activity posted, and its cost, as it occurs. It seems as though the process may be a little faster than back in 2009 when this thread began, early on people were waiting a year or more, perhaps it's a little better now ? Anyway I hope I'm not using a different year on these posts when my process ends. I was advised by the young man in the office who took my application that it would be 6-8 mos.

1/29/2012 - Completed classroom work. 50.00
    2/14/2012 - Dropped off completed app at ECPP office downtown. 30.00
    2/17/2012 - Completed finger printing in sunny downtown Lackawanna. 105.00

Semper Fi.
    5/16/2012 Recieved a phone call from an investigator doing phone interviews for Village of Hamburg. He asked a few basic questions, and told me he had contacted 3 of my 4 references and was continuing to try the 4'th. Said I should get a letter in a few weeks. Thats 3 months almost to the day ! Not bad so far.

Page 45 of 72 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast