Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 49
Page 49 of 72 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

1. Well it came today my approved letter :) . I handed in the paper work Nov7,2011 . In March 2012 my references were contacted and in April 2012 the police interview . I called in early June and it was in front of the judge . Total time 8 months 2 weeks in Cheektowaga NY .Now what to buy ????

3. Quote Originally Posted by target74 View Post
    Well it came today my approved letter :) . I handed in the paper work Nov7,2011 . In March 2012 my references were contacted and in April 2012 the police interview . I called in early June and it was in front of the judge . Total time 8 months 2 weeks in Cheektowaga NY .Now what to buy ????
    I got the smith and wesson m&p 40, I love the interchangeable hand grips the trigger pull could be alittle better but I'm gonna get a kit, but its a good all around gun and not bad for my first

4. Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy82 View Post
    Well.. I decided to call down to PPD to see how the status of my permit was going as I have not heard from my local P.D and my references have not been contacted. It has been almost 4 months to the date of application. My call was recieved by a very stern man who after hearing my concern (I was short and too the point - just wanted to make sure there were no issues with my paperwork) said he would check and put me on hold....14 mins later the phone was picked up and hung up. I'm definitely not going to call back as I don't want to become a PITA but man this sucks.
    wow, that's pretty bad. wonderful Erie county.

5. Well , I got the approval letter ! Dated Aug 9, recieved Aug 11. Time line is shown below. This was done in Village of Hamburg, took just under 6 mos, alot better than I had feared.

1/29/2012 - Completed classroom work. 50.00
    2/14/2012 - Dropped off completed app at ECPP office downtown. 30.00
    2/17/2012 - Completed finger printing in sunny downtown Lackawanna. 105.00
    5/16/2012 - Contacted for phone interview, all references had been checked
    8/9/2012 - Approval letter recieved

Time to do some serious shopping now. I think I will start w/ a semi auto .22. I like the feel of the Ruger 22 -45

Quote Originally Posted by JR63 View Post
    Well , I got the approval letter ! Dated Aug 9, recieved Aug 11. Time line is shown below. This was done in Village of Hamburg, took just under 6 mos, alot better than I had feared.

Time to do some serious shopping now. I think I will start w/ a semi auto .22. I like the feel of the Ruger 22 -45
    Congrats JR63! I will say it excites me but concerns me as well that coincidently I too live in Hamburg and followed up on App 2 weeks ago and they said that it was still in Albany. My submittment time on the application was one month after yours but I'm going on 5 month with no activity yet. I will say they should have zero trouble with any background checks as I have a clean record. May I ask how was the interview with Hamburg PD and did they state in the approval letter on any restrictions on the license? This all aside, I'm glad to see another fellow citizen capitalize on their 2nd amendment. Good luck JR63 - keep us posted!

7. Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy82 View Post
    Congrats JR63! I will say it excites me but concerns me as well that coincidently I too live in Hamburg and followed up on App 2 weeks ago and they said that it was still in Albany. My submittment time on the application was one month after yours but I'm going on 5 month with no activity yet. I will say they should have zero trouble with any background checks as I have a clean record. May I ask how was the interview with Hamburg PD and did they state in the approval letter on any restrictions on the license? This all aside, I'm glad to see another fellow citizen capitalize on their 2nd amendment. Good luck JR63 - keep us posted!
    Hey Countryboy, The Village of Hamburg interviews and investigation is done by the Erie County Sheriff and The town of Hamburg interviews and investigation is done by the Hamburg Police. The interview with the Hamburg police will be an easy ten minutes out of your life and they will then give you 4 letters that you will give to your references to fill out. Make sure that when you give the letters to your references, you give them a pre-addressed envelope with a stamp on it as well. They will have to mail it back after they sign it in front of a notary. You want this to be as easy for them as possible and you want to make sure they get it back to the detective right away. Let us know if you need anything or if you have any questions at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JR63 View Post
    Well , I got the approval letter ! Dated Aug 9, recieved Aug 11. Time line is shown below. This was done in Village of Hamburg, took just under 6 mos, alot better than I had feared.

Are you planning or carrying the 22/45? Not really a caliber i would want to bet my life on, but it's better than a rock.

Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

FTWNY - as always thank you for your insight and encouragement. I was unaware of the letters required to my references but now it makes me adequately prepared to make sure it gets in their hands and back to the Hamburg PD. asap. Thanks again FTWNY.

10. Countryboy,

The man that did my phone interview said he was working under a contract w/ Village of Hamburg PD to help them get caught up on interviews and reference checks. He called my references only, no letters required. The interview was very cordial, no real stress.

As for the .22 , I'm looking for a plinker, and perhaps will get involved at a beginner level, with competition shooting. I don't plan to carry on a routine basis, and for home defense, well 12 ga w/ 00 buck has that covered. Good luck with with your app.

11. Quote Originally Posted by JR63 View Post
    Countryboy,

The man that did my phone interview said he was working under a contract w/ Village of Hamburg PD to help them get caught up on interviews and reference checks. He called my references only, no letters required. The interview was very cordial, no real stress.
    The town of Hamburg does their own interviews and the Village of hamburg police pass off the interview process to the Erie County Sheriff. The Erie County Sheriff has made a commitment to try and get pistol permits moving faster and has brought in more staff to help. The Town of Hamburg Police still do their pistol permit interviews and you will meet with one of their detectives. The Town of Hamburg letters are about seven questions long and the worst part is that your references will have to sign the letters in front of a notary.

Page 49 of 72 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast