Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 52
Page 52 of 72 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

1. Quote Originally Posted by 2xJ View Post
    Hi all, have been lurking this forum for awhile but finally wanted to post as I'm working on my pistol permit application. From Hamburg in Erie County, NY. Does anyone have tips with regards to references? I know that the application wants people who live in the same town/city but I only have a couple of people who fit the bill of knowing me for some time in my town. In contrast, I work over in Amherst and have several colleagues/friends who would be willing references. Would it be worth it to try and get the permission for out-of-town references or should I just try and find some more locals? Any advice would be really appreciated! Thanks.
    I'm from the town of Hamburg, not the village though. when I applied two years ago, I called and talked to the town of Hamburg police detective who does the background check and asked him how many I needed from the town, he said two from the town of hamburg and two others from anywhere in Erie county were fine, so that's what I used. I'd call and talk to the detective and confirm that's still thier policy.

3. Quote Originally Posted by 2xJ View Post
    Hi all, have been lurking this forum for awhile but finally wanted to post as I'm working on my pistol permit application. From Hamburg in Erie County, NY. Does anyone have tips with regards to references? I know that the application wants people who live in the same town/city but I only have a couple of people who fit the bill of knowing me for some time in my town. In contrast, I work over in Amherst and have several colleagues/friends who would be willing references. Would it be worth it to try and get the permission for out-of-town references or should I just try and find some more locals? Any advice would be really appreciated! Thanks.
    Call your PD and ask to speak to the officer that handles the permits. Explain the issue and in most cases they will allow you to use a few references from outside of your town as long as they are all Erie County residents. The Pistol Permit office usually requires a note from the dept that you OK'd it with them.

Quote Originally Posted by zeke1975 View Post
    I'm from the town of Hamburg, not the village though. when I applied two years ago, I called and talked to the town of Hamburg police detective who does the background check and asked him how many I needed from the town, he said two from the town of hamburg and two others from anywhere in Erie county were fine, so that's what I used. I'd call and talk to the detective and confirm that's still thier policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by RottenII View Post
    Call your PD and ask to speak to the officer that handles the permits. Explain the issue and in most cases they will allow you to use a few references from outside of your town as long as they are all Erie County residents. The Pistol Permit office usually requires a note from the dept that you OK'd it with them.
    Thank you both for your help here. I think I can get 2-3 of my references from Hamburg (I'm also in the town, not village) but 1 would for sure be from Amherst. Same county though, so it sounds like I'll be good. I'll definitely give the Hamburg town PD a ring and see about getting permission to do so. Many thanks! :)

5. Any tips on early upgrade ? I just got my hunting/target back in July and I went down to get my PA permit cause all of my family lives in Bradford and Eldred PA and are all hunters and target shooters .When I got there they told me that I cant cause I have only a hunting/ target. What would my chances be if I went and ask for a upgrade this early ???I would love more than nothing to go down there, witch I do 2-3 times a month to go shooting with dad. We all know that he can't bring his kimber or SW here to shoot . Any Idea's ?????

6. Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

Quote Originally Posted by target74 View Post
    Any tips on early upgrade ? I just got my hunting/target back in July and I went down to get my PA permit cause all of my family lives in Bradford and Eldred PA and are all hunters and target shooters .When I got there they told me that I cant cause I have only a hunting/ target. What would my chances be if I went and ask for a upgrade this early ???I would love more than nothing to go down there, witch I do 2-3 times a month to go shooting with dad. We all know that he can't bring his kimber or SW here to shoot . Any Idea's ?????
    Hi, I don't have first hand knowledge but have read other posts, this forum and others, where some have reported that some of the offices in PA will issue carry permits to NY residents with restricted permits. You may want to search nyfirearms.com for details.

Quote Originally Posted by target74 View Post
    Any tips on early upgrade ? Any Idea's ?????
    Yes. Generally speaking a Target and Hunting is issued when the applicant has little to no experience in shooting. Join a shooting club, shoot in a league or competition, then when you apply for the upgrade list all the shooting experience you have. More is better. Many Clubs have long waiting lists and you need member references etc. Buffalo R and R, and Allied Sportsmen Club will take you without all of that. Also list other shooting experience such as NRA and SCOPE. The Erie County License officials and the Judge are all well aware of SCOPE and do support what SCOPE is doing.
    Bottom line: Show maturity - experience - and dedication to safe handling and you should get the upgrade.

It also doesn't hurt to explain truthfully that
    I would love more than nothing to go down there, witch I do 2-3 times a month to go shooting with dad. We all know that he can't bring his kimber or SW here to shoot . Any Idea's ????
    ?
    Tolerance of the intolerant leads to the destruction of tolerance. “You are also reminded that any inappropriate remarks or jokes concerning security may result in your arrest,” in the land of the free.

8. For the references, I called the pistol office and he was very helpfull. In West Seneca you dont need your references from West Seneca only Erie county. Keep in mind if he (the detective) can't contact your references and has to drive to thier house and its out of your town, you may be put your wait time on hold. Also I know Cheektowaga with written permission from the PD you can waive only two of your 4 references from the town.

9. Quote Originally Posted by 2xJ View Post
    Thank you both for your help here. I think I can get 2-3 of my references from Hamburg (I'm also in the town, not village) but 1 would for sure be from Amherst. Same county though, so it sounds like I'll be good. I'll definitely give the Hamburg town PD a ring and see about getting permission to do so. Many thanks! :)
    Both the Town and Village of Hamburg although not the same investigating agencies, will allow all 4 references to live anywhere in Erie County.

Quote Originally Posted by FTWNY View Post
    Both the Town and Village of Hamburg although not the same investigating agencies, will allow all 4 references to live anywhere in Erie County.
    Much obliged! Thanks for the information. :)

11. Well, its been about a week since I contacted the PPO to check on the status of my upgrade. They said something will be in the mail soon, and NOTHING as of yet. It's frustrating to know that turn around time from the judge is a day, I really don't understand the wait.

Page 52 of 72 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast