Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 55
Page 55 of 72 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

1. I submitted my app in March of 2011 and I received my permit in October of 2012, in a way I didn't mind the wait because I was battling cancer, but what really pissed me off was getting my license to carry with the words HUNTING AND TARGET, I have friends in other counties that got theirs earlier and unrestricted, I am a 55 year old man I'm not a kid I see no reason why I should not get a unrestricted license, this is pure crap!

3. Mine has been sitting back in Erie County for 2 months waiting for judge approval. I submitted my permit Jan 2nd and my local PD had the paperwork back to Erie County on Oct 1st. I called and they said it would be up to two more months last week. This process is just terrible in Erie County.

4. [QUOTE=Morts;383008]Mine has been sitting back in Erie County for 2 months waiting for judge approval.

I did a quick check. There are NO new applications in the Judge's chambers waiting for signature. Last batch (well over 150 files) went back to the PP office three weeks ago. Told that the PP office office is swapped. Another batch of applications is suppose to be delivered to Judge's chambers any day now. Turn around time for signature with this judge is usually about 48 hours. Once signed they will be returned to PP office promptly BUT they will not be mailed out immediately due to volume.

5. Hopefully mine is just waiting to get mailed out now. Thanks for the update.

6. Took the class in March, finally got my references and signatures and fingerprints done and turned in to the permit office in May, and I've been sitting here twiddling my thumbs ever since! It's pretty much December now and my girlfriend just got a questionnaire in the mail from the Cheektowaga PD yesterday asking about me (is your bf crazy YES or NO). I figured they would just call and ask a few quick questions. Now I'm at the mercy of my references filling this out and sending this in? Oh jeez this is ridiculous. So I'm guessing after they all send this in (probably by January if I bug them enough) I will then still need to have my interview and then have the Chief sign off on it. Then I think it goes back to permit office and then to the judge and then to Albany? Oh boy. How long do you guys think I'll be waiting on this thing?

Quote Originally Posted by kdiigz View Post
    TNow I'm at the mercy of my references filling this out and sending this in?
    It wouldn't hurt to stay on top of all of your references. 3 out of 4 returning the questionnaire is not good enough.

For anyone that has been waiting and you were told that they were waiting for the mental health check, here is the contact info. I suggest you call them and follow up.
    New York State Office of Mental Health
    44 Holland Avenue
    Albany, New York 12229

1-800-597-8481
    A toll free resource for questions or complaints about mental health services in New York State.

Once they get sick of the phone calls perhaps they will get off their butts. I mean all they have to do is run a query . Is a person with your name and dob in the Mental Health System - NO - make checkmark and return the packet.
    Tolerance of the intolerant leads to the destruction of tolerance. “You are also reminded that any inappropriate remarks or jokes concerning security may result in your arrest,” in the land of the free.

Quote Originally Posted by kdiigz View Post
    my girlfriend just got a questionnaire in the mail from the Cheektowaga PD yesterday asking about me (is your bf crazy YES or NO). I figured they would just call and ask a few quick questions. Now I'm at the mercy of my references filling this out and sending this in? Oh jeez this is ridiculous. So I'm guessing after they all send this in (probably by January if I bug them enough)
    The administrative quicksand is a legit complaint, but any delays caused by your references is your fault. They are your references. You picked them.

A little advise to others - don't use a girlfriend as a reference. Stick with references from social or business relationships. The amount of time between submission of the application and the investigative contact with your references is way to long to trust your ability to carry concealed to a romantic relationship that can change at any moment.

Newbie's wife & I applying for permits Erie County/East Aurora - any suggestions?

My wife and I took our Pistol Safety class this week and we are preparing our applications. After reading part of this thread it seems unlikely that we will likely end up with hunting target restrictions. Our instructor claimed that all of his students except 2 (early 20s) were able to get concealed which seems unrealistic considering what I have read. He provided suggestions as to wording for the reason for a concealed permit such as living in a rural area (we are 3 miles outside EA village), robberies in our area, my wife driving alone at night and coming home to an empty house (she uses a wheelchair from car to house). I assume using a reason such as concern about coyotes etc. while walking dogs won't fly? Are we wasting our time trying to justify concealed? Assume we'll get restricted license, assuming approval, and apply for unrestricted later?

Golocx4's explanation of the process is helpful.

QUESTION: I've heard from multiple sources that Niagara county issues permits in 4 or less months.
    • If that is the case, it would seem that step 3, local LEO reference checks etc. is the biggest delay. Is that correct?
    • We are under the umbrella of the East Aurora police department. I assume EAPD would handle our ref checks etc.??
    • Does it do any good to talk with them when you submit your application?
    • Does it help or hurt to include a town council member as a reference?

Any suggestions welcome!!

FYI, my personal experience with guns recently is limited to firing shotguns, 22 rifle, pellet pistol. Previous experience incl. one year on a 22 rifle team (long time ago) and 4 years USAF (1969-1973). Actually the USAF was a little bit like NY, unless you were sent to Vietnam, they didn't let you play with guns. My wife has shot skeet in the past, nothing recent.

Message received:
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleWilley View Post
    Are we wasting our time trying to justify concealed? Assume we'll get restricted license, assuming approval, and apply for unrestricted later?
    Quite possible however: You are applying for a license for "all lawful purposes", and just to purchase a handgun you have to go through the process.

QUESTION: I've heard from multiple sources that Niagara county issues permits in 4 or less months.
    • If that is the case, it would seem that step 3, local LEO reference checks etc. is the biggest delay. Is that correct?
      The Mental Health Checks are taking extremely long right now. Some are blaming the Governors Budget cuts.
      Jacobson and Sheriff are addressing that issue and soon the PPO will be able to complete the MHO checks online.
      The LEO Background checks are the next hurdle Some PD's get it done in a few weeks others take months to a year. Once you know they have it stay in contact with the 4 references to return phone calls etc.
    • We are under the umbrella of the East Aurora police department. I assume EAPD would handle our ref checks etc.?? Yes the EAPD should be the ones.
    • Does it do any good to talk with them when you submit your application? Absolutely. But there is nothing they can do until they receive the packet from PPO and they don't send it until the MHO check is completed.
    • Does it help or hurt to include a town council member as a reference? No it does not hurt, but all of your references should fill out their portion on the application in their own writing and sign their names.

Any suggestions welcome!!

FYI, my personal experience with guns recently is limited to firing shotguns, 22 rifle, pellet pistol. Previous experience incl. one year on a 22 rifle team (long time ago) and 4 years USAF (1969-1973). Actually the USAF was a little bit like NY, unless you were sent to Vietnam, they didn't let you play with guns. My wife has shot skeet in the past, nothing recent.
    Don't skimp on any clubs or experiences, but don't lie either.
    NRA - SCOPE - NYSRPA count. Join a shooting club nearby like East Aurora or Allied or Elma. Shooting competition (NRA Match or PPC etc) also shoot Trap and Skeet. Firearm safety applied to rifles and shotguns as much as handguns. You want to show the Judge that you understand the responsibility and safety rules when it comes to firearms.
    Tolerance of the intolerant leads to the destruction of tolerance. “You are also reminded that any inappropriate remarks or jokes concerning security may result in your arrest,” in the land of the free.

golocx4

Thanks for the info!!

Re PPO handling mental health checks "soon". Is there any guess as to when that might occur? Would we be better to wait until that change happens vs. getting stuck in the current system?

Page 55 of 72 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast