Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 56
Page 56 of 72 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

1. Quote Originally Posted by UncleWilley View Post
    My wife and I took our Pistol Safety class this week and we are preparing our applications. After reading part of this thread it seems unlikely that we will likely end up with hunting target restrictions. Our instructor claimed that all of his students except 2 (early 20s) were able to get concealed which seems unrealistic considering what I have read. He provided suggestions as to wording for the reason for a concealed permit such as living in a rural area (we are 3 miles outside EA village), robberies in our area, my wife driving alone at night and coming home to an empty house (she uses a wheelchair from car to house). I assume using a reason such as concern about coyotes etc. while walking dogs won't fly? Are we wasting our time trying to justify concealed? Assume we'll get restricted license, assuming approval, and apply for unrestricted later?

Golocx4's explanation of the process is helpful.

QUESTION: I've heard from multiple sources that Niagara county issues permits in 4 or less months.
    • If that is the case, it would seem that step 3, local LEO reference checks etc. is the biggest delay. Is that correct?
    • We are under the umbrella of the East Aurora police department. I assume EAPD would handle our ref checks etc.??
    • Does it do any good to talk with them when you submit your application?
    • Does it help or hurt to include a town council member as a reference?

Any suggestions welcome!!

FYI, my personal experience with guns recently is limited to firing shotguns, 22 rifle, pellet pistol. Previous experience incl. one year on a 22 rifle team (long time ago) and 4 years USAF (1969-1973). Actually the USAF was a little bit like NY, unless you were sent to Vietnam, they didn't let you play with guns. My wife has shot skeet in the past, nothing recent.
    Don't be shy, I have had my permit for a few years now, but one month to the day of receiving it, I went into the Erie County office and applied for an unrestricted, stating my experience with hunting, target shooting, my involvement in a couple of local clubs and aspiring to teach some classes and sure enough a few weeks later my approval was in the mail. Never say never always worth the try!

3. Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

Quote Originally Posted by holdmdwn View Post
    Don't be shy, I have had my permit for a few years now, but one month to the day of receiving it, I went into the Erie County office and applied for an unrestricted, stating my experience with hunting, target shooting, my involvement in a couple of local clubs and aspiring to teach some classes and sure enough a few weeks later my approval was in the mail. Never say never always worth the try!
    Thanks for sharing your experience. That gives me hope.

4. Quote Originally Posted by ruger10/22 View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience. That gives me hope.
    We agree that everyone should apply for an Unrestricted permit if that is what you want. If you get denied and get Hunting/Target, then you go back and ask to have that removed by showing that you have practiced and become more familiar with your handgun. We help everyone with the wording of their reason after they have brought it to us, this way it is still their personal reason and we just make suggestions and give advice. We have never given anyone a reason to ask for no restrictions, but we have a really high rate of students getting the Unrestricted permit. We will help anyone with their wording even if they did not take the class with us. It is never a sure thing to get an Unrestricted permit, but in time you will get it by following the right steps.

Quote Originally Posted by holdmdwn View Post
    When you applied for unrestricted, did you need to appear before a judge to explain why you wanted unrestricted? I have been told by multiple people in Erie Country re appearing before a judge.

6. No. State in detail your reasons on your upgrade application. If you have certificates from recent pistol courses, etc., attach copies. Generally you only go before the judge's law clerk for suspension/revocation hearings.

7. Quote Originally Posted by UncleWilley View Post
    When you applied for unrestricted, did you need to appear before a judge to explain why you wanted unrestricted? I have been told by multiple people in Erie Country re appearing before a judge.

Nope, went into the office with the affidavit that I got notarized, waited a few weeks and got the letter that said I was approved for unrestricted, went back to the office for my new card and that was it. Never seen a judge during any part of the process at all.

8. Hey guys, any word on West Seneca? They have had my paperwork and another friend of mines paperwork for over 6 months. They still haven't contacted either of our references. I was going to call and see if they may need any more info from me and check on the status. Timeline: I put my paperwork into Erie county PPD in Jan. 2012. Also as of last month the PPD still has not received my mental health check from the state, they say there's a huge backlog.

skidoorev

Check out post #546. Info on contacting Mental Health to try to find out status of applications.

10. Mine has been awaiting final approval back in Erie County since October. The lady said they are swamped when I called last. My PD had it back to Erie County on Oct 2nd. So over 2 months waiting for the judge to sign it and for them to send back my permit. My local PD had mine about 6 months as well before they approved it and checked my references etc. I started the process Jan 2nd 2012. I am really hoping it comes soon as this process is Long and drawn out.

Submitted applications

My wife and I submitted our pistol permit applications today. Finger prints scheduled for Wednesday so I guess that really starts the process. Now we being the loooong wait.

Question: I've heard conflicting comments about trying to check the status of our applications as time goes by. For example, calling mental health in Albany to find out if they have the apps & possibly push it along. Others have cautioned that making such calls is more likely to get your app pushed to the bottom of the pile or "lost". Any thoughts? We know we have a long wait and probably longer after last weeks horrific disaster.

Page 56 of 72 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast