Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 6
Page 6 of 72 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

Mr. B,

there are too many things that could go wrong with you carrying outside your resrtictions.even though the law states you wont or,can not be prosecuted You will loose your permit. then pending on the LEO they might just look other way. but in the worst situation if you do use your weapon for self defence with restricted permit. your in trouble best thing to do is review the penal law section 400.00 we all fee lyour pain. Erie County Sucks.........

Can you have the pistol in your car if it is locked up, and not within reach?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
    My question for the group is if I decide to carry my gun with a target/hunting permit what are my chances of actually being caught with it. If the police run your license plate will it come back that I have a permit or would I be ok unless I used it or by some weird reason someone saw it and notified the authorities. A friend told me that since I have land in Wales I could try to tell the officer I was going/coming back and didn't want to leave the firearm in my vehicle while I did some running around before going/coming back from my property.
    Your chances of being caught carrying depend on how well you conceal and whether you put yourself into situations that may expose you.

The cops that I know would not jam up an otherwise lawful person for carrying on a target/hunting permit. If you're wreckless driving, throwing crap out the window, you will probably not get any consideration. I know of at least a couple instances of different cops pulling guys carrying on a t/h permit and they haven't broken balls. YMMV. That is simply information w.which you can help make your decision.

5. PD license check of Driver

I was robbed at gun point 2 years ago and although I had thought about it, I never applied for my permit . I just figured that if I stayed out of "crimes way" I wouldn't have a problem and if my time was up then so be it. In May my wife told me that she was pregnant and we would have our first born in Dec. I decided to apply for my permit because SHOULD the need arise I would want to be able to protect my family. My days of delinquent behavior, speeding and even drinking are long gone and to be honest its been over 4 years since I've been pulled over and even longer since getting a ticket. My question for the group is if I decide to carry my gun with a target/hunting permit what are my chances of actually being caught with it. If the police run your license plate will it come back that I have a permit or would I be ok unless I used it or by some weird reason someone saw it and notified the authorities. A friend told me that since I have land in Wales I could try to tell the officer I was going/coming back and didn't want to leave the firearm in my vehicle while I did some running around before going/coming back from my property.
    I can tell you this that when you are stopped for a V&T and your reg is entered all that comes up is that you are valid to drive nothing instructing that you have a pistol permit.Most cops I worked with were anti-gun and would be quick to report that you were caught violating the condition of your permit.You are going to lose your license supended/revolked.I have stopped at least a dozen people with target only restrictions.If you have a good game plan like a indoor 24 hour range and keep a set of ear muffs and a range bag you might just get a verbal warning.I know it's a scary experience knowing that you have a driver that has a loaded gun and was just stopped for speeding and they are upset with the P.O. but my safety and training has always worked.Most cops only ask for a license & reg proof of insurance and the reason they stopped you.I ask the question is there anything you have in the car like a weapon that I should know about.A dead giveaway keep your mags & ammo out of sight.That gives the officer the right to check for that gun.

6. Still waiting...

Just an update....5 months and 3 days....still haven't contacted my references...glad I didn't have a real need to protect myself cuz by now I'd be dead....

7. Wait is almost over

Just an update....5 months and 3 days....still haven't contacted my references...glad I didn't have a real need to protect myself cuz by now I'd be dead....
    Every county is different in the way they process the application.I know my friend who applied in Delaware county the next day all his character refs had a letter from the sheriffs office.He got his permit in just over 6 months in time for the hunting season,another friend in the same county got his in 3 months but that was 2 years ago.In Sullivan county the clerk said they have a surge with applications since December 2008 which has delayed them to the 6-8 month time frame.You can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Got MINE Today....

Hello all, I just received my permit, restricted to hunting and target, but at least I got it...Erie co. approx time was 9 months... I will register my pistol tomorrow...

9. hey guys new guy here,

i just went to pick up the paper work to fill out and it says that all of your four of your references must live in erie county? what happends if i moved up here from Chautauqua county and dont know ppl up herE?

10. Some counties may wave the refs if you have a permit already.Try a local gun club that is a good place to start.Some require that a ref know's you for at least one year and live in the county for a minimum of six months.New York is very restrictive so the waiting game begins.The character referances are part of your back round investigation.

11. RE:References

I ran into a similar problem, I moved back to Cheektowaga after 5 years of living out of state. I had 4 great references a Corrections Officer, an Air Marshal, a NYS Trooper and a Niagara Falls Park Officer; all of which I have know for over 10 years and all who live outside of Cheektowaga. I called the Permit Office and explained my situation and they said that they would not accept it if my references live outside my town. I even called my local PD and they told me that they make no exceptions and his exact words were "it seems I am stacking the chips in my favor with my references". I told him that I doubt these officers would put their reputation on the line just so I could get a permit. I told the officer that its sad I have to use semi-casual acquaintances who really couldn't offer a valid reference to my character because of some silly policy. He told me the reason for the policy is because they like to run the references as well to get an idea of their character as well. They are able to access their record, see how many times the cops were called to their residence, so on and so on. Its a bit ridiculous but alas what choice to we have. No luck, so I had to ask around and use people who knew me through work and neighbors. Good luck.

Page 6 of 72 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast