Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 60
Page 60 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

1. Finally received mine yesterday. I started the process January 2 2012 and received the permit March 7 2013. 14 months almost to the day I received a Target and Hunting only permit. The permit itself was judge approved Mid January so after approval it seems to be 6-8 weeks until they are processed and sent back to you. I would almost bet it will be longer for new registrants unless they fix or add more workers at the department as they said they have been overwhelmed with applications.

3. Congrats Morts! Yesterday was 14 months for me.
    Still impatiently waiting.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Morts View Post
    Finally received mine yesterday. I started the process January 2 2012 and received the permit March 7 2013. 14 months almost to the day I received a Target and Hunting only permit. The permit itself was judge approved Mid January so after approval it seems to be 6-8 weeks until they are processed and sent back to you. I would almost bet it will be longer for new registrants unless they fix or add more workers at the department as they said they have been overwhelmed with applications.
    My girlfriend just received her approval letter March 9th, took exactly 364 days. Fortunately she received an unrestricted permit. However, there were the most people I have ever seen at the permit office today when we went to pick up her permit. We waited about 1hr 20min. One of the guys at the counter said Poloncarz won't hire anyone else and they're about to lose some people. Additionally, they have been so busy with people coming into the office they are have difficulty finding time to process the new applications. So, unfortunatley if your just applying now good luck.
    Last edited by www315; 03-15-2013 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Spelling

5. Quote Originally Posted by www315 View Post
    My girlfriend just received her approval letter March 9th, took exactly 364 days. Fortunately she received an unrestricted permit. However, there were the most people I have ever seen at the permit office today when we went to pick up her permit. We waited about 1hr 20min. One of the guys at the counter said Poloncarz won't hire anyone else and they're about to lose some people. Additionally, they have been so busy with people coming into the office they are have difficulty finding time to process the new applications. So, unfortunatley if your just applying now good luck.
    Glad to hear she was granted an unrestricted permit. What did she give as proper cause? any training?

ATTENTION ALL RECENT PISTOL PERMIT RECIPIENTS:

Please answer these questions

I am a resident of ___________________________, My Background was done by the ___________________PD.
    Name of Town or Village Name of Police Dept

My Interview/or References were contacted ________________ months after I turned in my application.
    number of months

Pick one please: Completed by Phone Mail or In Person.

The whole process took ___________ months.

I am trying to compile how each Town or Village or Sheriff Deputy does the background. In person - phone or mail and the number of weeks or months it takes each one.

Example: My Daughter got hers 2 years ago.

Her Answer:

Orchard Park
    OP PD
    2 months
    Mail
    4 months

My answer:
    Elma
    Erie County
    6 months
    in Person (and asked to speak to a neighbor not on app
    12 months.

The data (though unscientific) will show how the process is capricious and arbitrary.
    Please reply in a post or private message.
    Looking for DEPEW Cheektowaga West Seneca, Hamburg, Lancaster, Amherst, Buffalo and others Tonawanda and so on.
    Tolerance of the intolerant leads to the destruction of tolerance. “You are also reminded that any inappropriate remarks or jokes concerning security may result in your arrest,” in the land of the free.

7. I am a resident of Cheektowaga, My Background was done by the Cheektowaga PD.
    Name of Town or Village Name of Police Dept

My Interview/or References were contacted 6 months after I turned in my application.

Pick one please: Completed by Phone

The whole process took 14 months.

Erie County had my permit back from Cheektowaga PD on Oct 10th 2012

So it took almost 5 months for Judge approval and then to send me the permit. The permit was granted by the Judge Mid January so basically 6-7 weeks to complete the permit and send it to my home after judges approval.

April 12 2012- Paperwork Handed in
    April 14 2012 - Fingerprints
    Jan 4 2013 - All references & myself contacted by local PD (Eden) and interviewed
    Jan 7 2013 - Paperwork sent back downtown.

Alan downtown is helpful, seems to know what is going on most of the time.
    Visit down there once a month to check on the process, always the same answer it's on the desk.

I applied for unrestricted, as I own my own business. I also have a chance of running into some people that might
    not be that enthused to see me out in public away from job, so I'm hoping I receive the unrestricted, at least business carry.

2 Questions you guys might be able to answer for me.

1- When you receive your letter in the mail, does it state if your license has restrictions, or are you able to go to the permit office and inquire before purchasing a handgun? Reason being, it would be silly to purchase say a bodyguard 380 if you aren't able to carry. I would then purchase a full size to use more easily at range if I didn't have to conceal.

2- I've heard that when you purchase your first handgun and go back down to the office to place on your permit, the first handgun takes much longer(possibly weeks) then if you already had your permit and were just adding another gun. Anyone know if this holds any truth? Thanks

10. Yes it will state if your permit has restrictions. You have time to get a gun after you get your permit. So get your permit and see if there are restrictions, if you get a full carry permit then choose a gun for carry. I believe they do it on the spot there with your first gun.

Registration of Handguns

When a gun is purchased from an individual, a dated bill of sale is required to add the pistol to the new owner's permit. The bill of sale must show both the buyer's and seller's names, addresses, permit numbers, and the counties that permits are in. The gun must be described by make, model, caliber action and serial number. Once the handgun is registered at our department, it may be picked up by the buyer, and the seller has 10 days to come to the Pistol Permit Office to have the weapon removed from his/her permit.

When a gun is purchased from a dealer, the dealer receipt is required. The receipt must show the buyer's name, address, permit number, and the make, model, caliber action and serial number of the gun. The dealer's name, address, New York State dealer number and county the dealership is in must also appear on the receipt. Once the handgun is registered at our department, a purchase coupon will then be given to the buyer, to allow him/her to pick up the weapon from the dealer.

There is a $3.00 fee for the registration of a handgun to a permit.

Ok, WHERE THE HELL IS NYS's pro gun organization while you guys are waiting in excess of a year for permits??? That is beyond unacceptable. There is not one county in that state that has so many people applying for permits that it would take a year even if only 1 person was doing the backgrounds AND issuing the permits. While NYS has zero chance of ever having good gun laws, It shouldn't be too hard with good lobbying to make these people do their job and a timely fashion. Even in my home state of MA, which while much better than NY gun wise, is pretty rough compared to free states they only have 40 days to issue a permit, yes some jurisdictions go over but at least a time frame has been established. Get on your pro-gun org's a$$! Call, Write, Email all the sherrif's, politicians, judges, county's. I know a lot of NY is rural and there's as many gun loving rednecks their as anywhere else, but honestly it looks like many of NY'ers problem happen, simply because it's allowed too. Apparently whoever your state level gun org is, sucks at their job. Start a new one! Try to involve the 2nd Amendment Foundation somehow. Get enough people together to bring the leaders of these county's to court over their actions. Even with Obama's re-election MANY states have been IMPROVING gun laws. Don't give up on your state!

Page 60 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast