Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 61
Page 61 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

Quote Originally Posted by Morts View Post
    Yes it will state if your permit has restrictions. You have time to get a gun after you get your permit. So get your permit and see if there are restrictions, if you get a full carry permit then choose a gun for carry. I believe they do it on the spot there with your first gun.

Registration of Handguns

When a gun is purchased from an individual, a dated bill of sale is required to add the pistol to the new owner's permit. The bill of sale must show both the buyer's and seller's names, addresses, permit numbers, and the counties that permits are in. The gun must be described by make, model, caliber action and serial number. Once the handgun is registered at our department, it may be picked up by the buyer, and the seller has 10 days to come to the Pistol Permit Office to have the weapon removed from his/her permit.

When a gun is purchased from a dealer, the dealer receipt is required. The receipt must show the buyer's name, address, permit number, and the make, model, caliber action and serial number of the gun. The dealer's name, address, New York State dealer number and county the dealership is in must also appear on the receipt. Once the handgun is registered at our department, a purchase coupon will then be given to the buyer, to allow him/her to pick up the weapon from the dealer.

There is a $3.00 fee for the registration of a handgun to a permit.
    Thanks for the info Morts!

In talking to a few LGS around my area and a few administrative people from the court building, I am hearing that Boller's clerks view and mostly determine who gets what kind of permit, then he reviews(hopefully) their determination and signs off. I was wondering if anybody else had any info pertaining to this, and anyone's thoughts about how this process seems unfair, he should be determining his own judgement if this is what's happening. But from what I hear about him he's a standup and fair licensing judge.

4. I think a lot has to do with your local PD as well. I was asked some questions on why I wanted an unrestricted permit by local PD. We do not know exactly what is on our applications when they are submitted back from our local PDs but I would not be surprised if they have some say in which permit you receive. I could be totally wrong but from what I was asked I would say its definitely a possibility.

5. Finally received my approval letter Tuesday.
    City of Buffalo resident
    Applied 5/7/12
    References contacted 11/9/12
    Received permit 4/9/13

Quote Originally Posted by bdubs View Post
    Finally received my approval letter Tuesday.
    City of Buffalo resident
    Applied 5/7/12
    References contacted 11/9/12
    Received permit 4/9/13
    Congrats - any restrictions?

The 7th Circuit held that Heller applies outside the home a swell as inside in the home. The 10th held otherwise.

What we need is a person who applied for an unrestricted but only got a restricted for no apparent reason to test the decision.

Does anyone have the phone number to the PPO, not the 858-6600 number, which is just an automated machine? I'd like to contact someone to get a status update on my application; only for the fact that all my references were contacted in Dec '12 & application was submitted back from the local detective to the PPO on Jan. 27 '13. I passed my 1 year mark a month ago. Any insight would be great. BTW congrats to those who recently received their permits!

8. Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy82 View Post
    Does anyone have the phone number to the PPO, not the 858-6600 number, which is just an automated machine? I'd like to contact someone to get a status update on my application; only for the fact that all my references were contacted in Dec '12 & application was submitted back from the local detective to the PPO on Jan. 27 '13. I passed my 1 year mark a month ago. Any insight would be great. BTW congrats to those who recently received their permits!
    If you hit 6 it will get the phone to ring for a clerk but 99.9 % of the time they don't answer. I finally got someone last week and was told should be month or two. I applied 05/01/12....funny thing was though clerk asked if I had my interview yet.....which I had back mid December and paperwork sent back to PPO the following week...wanted to ask umm shouldn't you know that...where the disconnect is I don't know but I have a feeling I might be waiting longer than 1 or 2 more months....so I feel ur pain.....

9. I hear ya....applied Jan 2012...still waiting have been approved since December 2012....no letter...PPO says soon. My buddy in Chat. county got his is 7 weeks....this is crazy!!!

10. Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Congrats - any restrictions?

The 7th Circuit held that Heller applies outside the home a swell as inside in the home. The 10th held otherwise.

What we need is a person who applied for an unrestricted but only got a restricted for no apparent reason to test the decision.
    I am sure many have applied for Unrestricted and received Target Hunting permits. I know I did. I think a lot of people are just happy to have a Permit here in Erie County about now after the wait we had to go through to get it and were approved. To get legal counsel to prove a point is not cheap and probably most of us do not have the money to do it, I know I don't. So we will wait a year or two and then try to have the restrictions lifted. I am looking into how to exactly do that now. I will get some other training etc and try in the future. My permit was just approved the end of Jan. 2013.

Skidoorev - can I ask what township you're in? And when you say you were approved in Dec 2012, what do you mean? Good luck with everything!

Page 61 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast