Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 66
Page 66 of 72 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

Quote Originally Posted by Morts View Post
    BC1 you bring up some good points BUT its absolutely crazy that so many permits are Restricted to Target/Hunting after all the background checks and waiting time. I walked into the Centre County PA Sheriffs office and walked out with a Full Carry Non Res PA permit in 20 minutes. I have more rights to carry in other states than my own. Is the Target/Hunting Permit in Erie County really even a Pistol Permit???
    The issue you raise needs to be handled at the voting booth. Renegade judge. In most cases permit restrictions tend to follow political affiliation of the judge. Most permits we've done have been unrestricted. Part of the issue is that, with no training requirement people are generally viewed by a judge as unqualified to carry or shoot. A large number of restricted permits are amended after the person has become experienced or has taken additional training. Many counties and judges only issue unrestricted permits. Even those with permit restrictions are exempt from criminal charges when carrying outside of the restrictions (NYS PL 265.20(3)).
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

3. Demographics is really in charge of the Voting Booth, we are highly outnumbered here. Its not us gun owners who do not vote the right way but the other side having greater numbers, there is really nothing we can do other than trying to persuade others to vote our way and in most cases its a lost cause as I am sure you know.

4. I think the main argument between Virgina/Texas and NY is the permit application process. The process in NY is a total joke. I had to wait almost two years in Erie County because I had to re-submit my fingerprints and ended up with restricted permit anyway. By the way, how long should one wait to apply for unrestricted? I received mine in late 2011. Any recommended courses to help my cause? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

In Orange county I waited about 18 mos and had no problem getting all restrictions off. Oh and my Kimber only holds 7 rounds but I can carry all the extra mags I want.

Quote Originally Posted by jayrab View Post
    I think the main argument between Virgina/Texas and NY is the permit application process. The process in NY is a total joke. I had to wait almost two years in Erie County because I had to re-submit my fingerprints and ended up with restricted permit anyway. By the way, how long should one wait to apply for unrestricted? I received mine in late 2011. Any recommended courses to help my cause? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks
    PM me with an email address and Ill send you 5 or 6 sample letters we've used successfully. They are in MS-Word format.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

7. Is there any way to change whay type of permit you are applying for? I applied for a hunting/target permit because I was told that I would never get a concealed carry in Erie County. It has been close to 6 months and I am on the tail end of the procee (all of my references have been contacted)

How long does it typically take from this point until I actually receive my permit?

8. Figure about 6 months from when your references were contacted

9. Called the permit office today. I was told they received the judge's decision for my permit 2 days ago. I figured an additional few days to mail the letter. Instead I was told it'll be another month. 1 month from now will be 17 months and 2 days from the time I had my prints taken. - Still waiting in Amherst.

I too called the PPD today and spoke with a very helpful woman. She looked into my permit and said it was within one of the two stacks, standing about 3-4 feet tall each yet to be submitted to the judge. Not really what I wanted to hear but nice to speak with a human down there. 3 days away from 14 months..still waiting from Hamburg.

11. After 17 months I finally received my approval letter. Good for hunting/target.

Page 66 of 72 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast