Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 70
Page 70 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

Quote Originally Posted by Bernsie View Post
    Just got back from Erie County PPO, 9:30 am this morning. Hard to believe, but there was no one in the office waiting. Went down being my 15th month after submission. Sat down with Will, always pleasant to me. Looked up my status and told me that I had been OK'd by the Judge and that it was in the pile, he showed me, waiting to be mailed out. There was maybe 100 applications waiting to be mailed. He said that his secretary was working on them daily and that I would be receiving it shortly. Looks like I'm on the last leg of the process, lets see how long it takes for mailing.
    Did he tell you if it was restricted? Most likely will be...unless you have compelling reason for unrestricted.
    My wife got hers immediately...because in her business, she meets people she may have only spoken to on the phone in all neighborhoods, at different hours of the day, outside of an office environment. Me, on the other hand, on many occasions, I must go into vacant(sometimes boarded) homes, again in all neighborhoods, with bullet holes in the windows, needles and knives laying on the floors... but I had no compelling reason for an unrestricted permit. I had the pleasure of waiting a number of years to prove I wasn't an irresponsible idiot before I could get my Unrestricted permit. The stupid part of the restrictions stated that when I was not in transit to the range and/or hunting, the gun was to be locked in the safe....so basically, I only had opportunity to be stupid and irresponsible while I was going hunting or to the range. BUT it made them "feel good" about their illogical restrictions of a law abiding citizen...even after they did the background checks, called all my references, etc....by which THEY concluded I was not an idiot, and issued the permit in the first place!

3. I did not ask him. I do have a business in my name that does perform security for individuals. I realize that I may only get Target and hunting, but it's a start.

4. Residence in Town of Wales (Erie County Sheriff's Office territory)

Applied 9/7/12
    Printed 9/7/12 at SWAT in Lackawanna
    References all called on 6/2/13 (yep, a Sunday!)
    At home interview done on 6/2/13 (yep, still a Sunday!)
    Got letter from PPO 9/25/13

And this is with having a "friend" that does the PP investigations for EC Sheriffs...

Patience is a virtue for a reason.

G

5. Also got my letter from Erie PPO today. I think a few people got theirs. A friend of mine's wife also got hers today.

I got mine as well yesterday. Applied 8/5/12, printed on 8/6/12, Local BI and reference contacted 3/26/13, and letter arrived yesterday 9/25/13. I def didnt waste anytime. Went straight to Buffalo Gun Center :D

Quote Originally Posted by Bernsie View Post
    Got down to Erie County PPO at 11:30am. Again there was only one other person waiting. Left the office at 12:15pm, 45 mins., with my permit in hand. Got unrestricted. I'm one happy camper today.
    Dang! Congratulations. I got restricted :( Practice is something I know I need and will do a lot of, but 5 years to wait for unrestricted is a LONG LONG time. Not only that, but now I can only wear concealed inside my own house and to and front target/hunting. Thats silly. Sounds funny to conceal within my house, but i have to get used to wearing it somehow..... Also, to wait 15 months to be restricted kinda stinks, but what can ya do? The BG's arent worrying about their restrictions lol.

8. Quote Originally Posted by SockyG View Post
    Residence in Town of Wales (Erie County Sheriff's Office territory)

Applied 9/7/12
    Printed 9/7/12 at SWAT in Lackawanna
    References all called on 6/2/13 (yep, a Sunday!)
    At home interview done on 6/2/13 (yep, still a Sunday!)
    Got letter from PPO 9/25/13

And this is with having a "friend" that does the PP investigations for EC Sheriffs...

Patience is a virtue for a reason.

G
    ...and actually made it down to PPO today and was pleasantly surprised to get unrestricted as well.

G

9. I got my letter over the weekend. Waited 18 months. Went downtown Monday after work, no one was waiting ahead of me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

10. Congrats to everyone that recently got their permits! You will not have to wait 5 years to get an unrestricted permit in Erie County. Taking training and showing that you have become more familiar with use and safe handling of a firearm goes a long way in getting those restrictions removed. Many people (with training) have removed their restrictions in the first two years of having a permit.

Quote Originally Posted by FTWNY View Post
    Congrats to everyone that recently got their permits! You will not have to wait 5 years to get an unrestricted permit in Erie County. Taking training and showing that you have become more familiar with use and safe handling of a firearm goes a long way in getting those restrictions removed. Many people (with training) have removed their restrictions in the first two years of having a permit.
    Just out of curiosity, other than the class for carry in additional states, what classes are offered to further our expertise and training with firearms? Are there defensive tactic classes and stuff? If so, where can i find this information? Thank you.