Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 9
Page 9 of 72 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

1. I obtained my permit in 1989 it was originally for target and hunting 1yr later I applied for an unresticted permit and it was granted. It is unbelievable to see how it has changed from a annoying and unecessary long process to pure torture. When you get non resident permits (for states) its actually easier and quicker.Good Luck to you folks !

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I got my application moving by calling APD myself and inquiring about it, then asking my references to call the detective (I won't mention his name but there is only one) and leave messages with their cell phone numbers.

The detective was nice enough to call me and let me know when he had completed the paperwork. But he only goes downtown ever 2 or 3 weeks to deliver the files.
    Yep, I know the person you are referring to. In fact, I both met him a few times, and he is a friend of a few of my close friends. In the end, this did nothing, for some reason I could not seem to get him to respond to any of my inquiries, which was exceptionally odd considering he even told me to inquire after 6 months... himself!

Then you have to wait for the judge to review and approve the permit. Next, you get a letter congratulating you on your gun permit with instructions. You have just 60 days to purchase a gun or co-register one.

The letter doesn’t say anything about restrictions, so you’ll have to wait until you get your actual permit to know if there are any restrictions or ask the clerk if they can check on it when you bring the bill of sale to get your actual permit.

If you buy a gun, you have to pay for it in full, then take the bill of sale to the clerk's office to get your actual permit. You can't pick up the gun from the clerk's office until after you receive the actual permit in the mail, which I was told would take another 8 to 10 weeks.
    Already all set there, already have purchased 2 handguns, which are sitting on hold until I get my paperwork. Also, from what I have heard over and over, it is not near 8 to 10 weeks to get the actual permit from when you supply the bill of sale, most everyone has it in 2-4 weeks max.

Quote Originally Posted by stresco View Post
    The NY Application process has been getting slower and slower. Partly because of the huge increase in the number of applications being submitted, Partly because they, the powers that be in NY are trying to keep the process as complex and annoying as possible. So slowing down the paperwork is just another power-play. Keep calling and asking what up with your stuff. When I got mine, I called at least once a month to check on the progress.
    And the Erie County Office has been getting lazier and lazier. I tried that approach, and they will not lift a FINGER until after 12 months these days. In fact, they sure made it seem like I was bothering them, even when I contacted them after 10 months, with not even a single reference having been contacted yet! Obviously, if you dont have a reference even being contacted yet at 10+ months, you are going to run over the 12 month mark... why not just look into for good measure? Nope, no common sense there.

I am also curious, as I have not seen the answer to this outlined anywhere:

Do you ALWAYS have to go in front of a Judge for a Carry or Business, or is that only to UPGRADE to that status if not initially granted? I am just curious if I am going to have to go when I get my permit for the first time? I do not see that mentioned anywhere in particular on the paperwork, but people seem to be mentioning it... unless it is not common practice ANYMORE? Not that it would be a bad thing, I could plea my case in detail.

6. Well it took almost a year to the day (7 days short of 1 year to be exact) for Erie county to send me the golden ticket. Took the letter and the proper info to the pistol permit dept, got a new picture taken and a thumb print, and now 8 - 10 more weeks for me to get my actual permit. Well at least I got this far so far.

Quote Originally Posted by holdmdwn View Post
    and now 8 - 10 more weeks for me to get my actual permit. Well at least I got this far so far.
    Everyone I have talked to recently says that this has proven to be closer to 2-4 weeks, but keep us updated on that! Also, add in what you applied for, what reasons you may have given, and what restrictions you ended up with...?

8. Only went for target and hunting for now, have heard way to many horror stories and such about applying for anything else in this county. Now one thing I did do, is after 6 months I started writing to anyone who would listen, congressmen, NYS officials, Town and County officials. Finally got a reply from the Erie County Clerk, and 2 days later a call from Will, the head of the pistol permit dept. Dont know if helped to speed it up, but from the looks of things it might have.

On Friday I returned to complete the paperwork, and then took it to the clerk's office. They said it would be 8 to 10 weeks before I received the permit in the mail. If it takes that long, then the entire process from the day I picked up the application until the day I actually can pick up my first handgun will be about 16 months.

This is just wrong. I turned in my application in September 09
    I have tracked every movement and expense involved down to the mileage to take the class etc.
    With mileage - parking - cost of NRA course - FFL fees etc. I am sure it will be close to 1000 dollars when all is said and done and that does not include the cost of a firearm.

When it is all done I am going to put every detail of the process on my website to assist others.

Here is hoping that the Supreme Court Hearing on March 2nd will strike down these obtrusive and in my opinion unconstitutional laws.

still waiting for lisence. final receipt for pistol and thumbprint done 6.5 weeks ago. was told 6-8 weeks at clerks office, should be any day now, i hope. all total, about 1 year

Talking finally

scratch my last post, my best friend the mail lady brought the best christmas gift ever today FINALLY!
    I will pick my pistol up tonight. 11.5 mos. total time

Page 9 of 72 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast