Ulster County Application - Page 11
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ulster County Application

1. Most of the upstate counties are very easy with the paper work as opposed to counties close to NYC.Your problem may be a local issue.It could be political or a law enforcement issue,it could be a personal issue with someone in the know.Any local lawyer may give you an answer like what I just said.Remember they can deny you a handgun permit.If your someone who was known as a crap stirrer and said the wrong thing during your wait like why it's taking long going down and making a stink that may result in someone passing it down the line.What sucks is you had an interview with the judge and she denied you.It's not like your application and interview are waiting for the new judge they asked you to apply in a year so something was found in your backround.If you were to apply else where they ask if you ever applied for a permit and were you denied, so call the judges office and speak to the clerk they can tell you the reason because I have seen denial letters before and it clearly said why you were denied.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter won View Post
    I have seen denial letters before and it clearly said why you were denied.
    Every denial letter I have seen has had a specific reason. NYS allows a judge to deny based on good moral character. I have no idea why you were denied, but I feel if something in your past caused the problem it would have come up during the interview. The same goes for any other circumstance. When I got my permit, I had an interview. I had a "BS" trespass violation where I had permission to be where I was, but the officer wrote me a ticket and told me to bring proof of permission to court. I did, and it was dismissed. BUT....guess what I was asked about during my interview? A BS trespass violation from many years ago. There was no problem with it as I was issued a permit, but I was asked about it. I would try to get ahold of the court, (but Judge Schneer is no longer there) and see if they can give you a reason. Don't give up though.

4. Due to your backround and interview with the judge you were denied YOU CAN APPLY IN ONE YEAR.In a post you wrote that your name was tied to someone else which caused a problem so you were aware of this.If something looks wrong to the judge she won't approve you for a pistol permit.You have to look at every and anything that could give them a reason to deny.Again it could be a local issue with someone that whispered in the judges ear.You need to wait ONE year to reapply.It's not easy to get a permit approved once your denied.Anyone who has a clean record is granted a pistol permit in Ulster or any other county in NY state.Do you have an attorney,reason I'm saying this is that you just can't write a letter to the new judge to reconsider you because your backround and interview revealed a problem.The last judge issued everyone a permit that had a clean record but did restrict it to target and hunting.The police did the investigation and something revealed a moral character issue that caused the permit to be denied.

Hunter Won, I agree.
    If there is a problem or concern then question me about it during the background investigation or my interview with the court.
    My problem with Ulster County is how just about everyone does what they want, not follow the law. That is what I have done here, held people accountable for the position they hold and decisions they have made.
    My letter to the new Judge was at the request of the permit clerk at the Sheriff office because I am not the only one that was denied wrongfully.
    The normal Ulster shuffle,,,,

6. I guess I consider myself one of the lucky ones. I got a restricted permit approval in the last month. I went before Judge Cahill. Purchased my first gun today, Glock 9MM model 17. I was gander today and they were talking about a lawsuit to get an unrestricted license now that the new Judge is taking office. Anyone know anything about this lawsuit?

7. hogrider,good for you.i just got the call to go to class in 3 weeks i hope thats progress.could have gotten in for the one tonite but they gave me no warning just a call lateish last nite. 86 fxr 5 speed chain drive here. this year were celebrating our 20th anniversery together (weve been soooooo happy.) can anyone tell me how many judges do the interview?]

8. As far as the law goes the legal procedure to appeal a decision is not done by a letter to reconsider at the request of the pistol permit clerk.You must wait to re-apply in ONE YEAR.Every one here feels your anger but it is just a slap in the face to have a civil servant advise or request that you write a letter to reconsider.Apparently the clerk needs to follow the law and not give you any legal advice, a DA, ADA,Justice and LEO cant give legal advice that is why I said contact an attorney.Because the judge denied many applicants does not mean she had an agenda.Your good moral character along with your backround investigation revealed a problem therefore you were denied.I know you mentioned something that you were associated with someone that had an issue so you were advised.You had your shot to clear up the confusion.This is a good lesson for anyone who is applying pistol permit that you must have a clean record and be of good moral character.I'm for the right to carry and fully support the 2nd ammendment however we must be aware that there are three branches of the gov't.You need to contact an attorney.I suggest you take a drive to NYC and speak to a expert in that field.He may help get you a permit after it has been denied.

9. Unrestricted carry in NY

Quote Originally Posted by hogrider View Post
    I guess I consider myself one of the lucky ones. I got a restricted permit approval in the last month. I went before Judge Cahill. Purchased my first gun today, Glock 9MM model 17. I was gander today and they were talking about a lawsuit to get an unrestricted license now that the new Judge is taking office. Anyone know anything about this lawsuit?
    That all comes down to the judge in that county some do some don't.As far as a law suit forget it,the states highest court ruled that the county has the ability to put restrictions so there is case law so it would be a debacle to start a lawsuit.Remember New York is May issue so they can deny you and restrict the permits.I believe the lifetime license is next to be changed to a five year deal.Every five years you need to show your guns and pay a minimum of $100 USD that goes to the state.More people are appling for a permit now because its going to be harder in the future.Someone said at Gander that to get an unrestricted permit you need to show cause the excuse for self-defense is not a valid reason.If your an instructer you can get one.

10. ONE YEAR to re-apply after you are denied!

Quote Originally Posted by Lunytoon95 View Post
    Hunter Won, I agree.
    If there is a problem or concern then question me about it during the background investigation or my interview with the court.
    My problem with Ulster County is how just about everyone does what they want, not follow the law. That is what I have done here, held people accountable for the position they hold and decisions they have made.
    My letter to the new Judge was at the request of the permit clerk at the Sheriff office because I am not the only one that was denied wrongfully.
    The normal Ulster shuffle,,,,
    I do recall you did state you had an issue with your name being associated with someone.Your backround investigation done by the PD revealed an issue.The judge has to determine you to be of good moral character as set by law in regards to section 400.NYPL.If you read the law a letter to reconsider is not how to proceed.You have been denied so the procedure is to re-apply in ONE YEAR!
    A good attorney may help you get your permit after you have been denied.At the request of the pistol permit clerk may stir-up a hornets nest!

11. lunytoon, if u need a mouthpiece call bill schirmer in saugerties, lawyer, permit holder, avid hunter, and vp of the saugerties fish and game. dont know if he handles that kind of stuff but he might be able to help.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast