Ulster County Application - Page 20
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Ulster County Application

Im trying to decide....

What my first firearm will be. Maybe someone will give some advice....Ive heard the Glock is a good first hand gun. I have seen many models but am not really crazy about them. I do however like a couple S&W, and a lot of the Taurus models. Anyone have any experience with anyone of these?? I am looking for something easy to conceal and carry. Not a whole lot of recoil, smaller frame and reliable. Thanks in advance for any input.

And also....I had my hearing on March 4th in Ulster County with Judge Gilpatric. He said I would be receiving my permit within 2 weeks. I have not received it as of yet....but I had a few questions. How exactly does it work? What am I looking for in the mail. A card? A paper? And what happens when I get whatever I am getting in the mail. How long does it take to have a handgun attached to my permit? Just a few questions....thanks for any help.

Talking Glock

Quote Originally Posted by jproniske View Post
    Ive heard the Glock is a good first hand gun. I have seen many models but am not really crazy about them.
    You can never go wrong with a Glock.

5. For revolvers: s&w model 638 in 38 spec. +p, may have a little too much recoil because of weighing 15 oz.; model 60 in same caliber, about 8 oz. heavier; Ruger LCR in same caliber. Semi-auto: Keltech P-11 9mm; Ruger LCP in .380. Just my opinion.

You will receive a letter in the mail from the Pistol Permit Clerk to pick up your license, then you purchase the gun, provide the bill of sale to the pistol clerk before picking up your gun and provide a purchase coupon to the seller. Then you can take possession of your gun.

You will receive two cards; your license, and card with the gun(s) associated with your license.

Long waiting time!!!

So, I had my hearing on March 4th. Judge Gilpatric in Ulster County told me I should be receiving it in the mail within 2 weeks. I called the pistol permit office on Friday and left a message. No response. So I went up to Kingston to the sheriff's office pistol permit and the ladies were extremely nice, they told me that they printed it and sent it to the judge on March 16th. She then told me that it is not uncommon to have it be awhile after the hearing. So here it is on Wednesday over a month from my hearing and still no permit. Now I know I am supposed to have patience. And I have had a lot of patience. But, I turned in my paperwork back in September and here it is April and still no permit. Ugh!!!! How much longer do I have to wait?

Angry still waiting....

still have not received my permit in the mail. Boy, Ulster County sure takes their time. Anyone else have this problem?

8. did you get it yet?? I am approaching the 4 week mark with my wait

Quote Originally Posted by jproniske View Post
    So, I had my hearing on March 4th. Judge Gilpatric in Ulster County told me I should be receiving it in the mail within 2 weeks. I called the pistol permit office on Friday and left a message. No response. So I went up to Kingston to the sheriff's office pistol permit and the ladies were extremely nice, they told me that they printed it and sent it to the judge on March 16th. She then told me that it is not uncommon to have it be awhile after the hearing. So here it is on Wednesday over a month from my hearing and still no permit. Now I know I am supposed to have patience. And I have had a lot of patience. But, I turned in my paperwork back in September and here it is April and still no permit. Ugh!!!! How much longer do I have to wait?
    Quote Originally Posted by trekmtbr89 View Post
    did you get it yet?? I am approaching the 4 week mark with my wait
    Congratulations on the permit. At Personal Protection Associates we provide permit services and have extensive experience dealing with Ulster. Yes, Ulster may take a while after approval to actually get the permit in hand. This is merely due to the backlog. When you call always ask for Maureen, she's wonderful to deal with.

I believe the permit will initially have some restrictions. After a year apply for an amendment to have the restrictions lifted. Prior to doing this I recommend you take either course "NRA Personal Protection In The Home" or "NRA Personal Protection Outside The Home." Basic and advanced are available in one weekend. This shows your judge that you have furthered your education on the law, concealed carry, tactical knowledge and safety. He is more inclined to grant the unrestricted permit with this in your background. At PPA, we're actually offering these classes in June in Plattekill, NY. As a member of USA Carry you are eligible or the club discounted price which is substantial (PPITH 8 hour - regular price $250, club price $150 / PPOTH 14 hour - regular price $325, club price $200). We have four NRA instructors on site, one per student on the firing line. Several hundred rounds of ammo are required. If you PM me with an email address I will forward the course descriptions and syllabus. Friends of USA Carry members are also offered the discount pricing. Our 100 yard outdoor range is located on 88 acres. We are fully insured.

Regarding a gun, I personally prefer a sub-compact Glock as a carry PP gun. It conceals deeply IWB and the reliability of the "safe action" design makes running the gun easy. As you mature you'll definitely get the bug and buy other guns. We offer a Glock at class to anyone who wants to use one. For home protection a revolver can be put into action by other members of the household (such as wife or daughter) without much experience. Although a shotgun is great, there's a lot of drywall to repair... ;-)

If you want more info feel free to PM me.

BTW trekmtbr89, where are you riding? Have your tried the Stewart Airport Park and Reserve. 32 miles of trail and 17 miles of fireroads on 7,000 acres. Great place to ride.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

10. Thanks for the info. I actually used to ride quite a bit at Stewart. I've kinda of fallen off of the Mtn biking wagon though, however I am going to buy another bike this summer and get back into it again. Need to get back into shape!

Quote Originally Posted by trekmtbr89 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I actually used to ride quite a bit at Stewart. I've kinda of fallen off of the Mtn biking wagon though, however I am going to buy another bike this summer and get back into it again. Need to get back into shape!
    I hear you brother. I live a few miles from the land and haven't had a chance to ride much. Riding a Trek Fuel. Check Bethlehem Rod & Gun Club for a great range in Plattekill for $110 annual membership. Stocked hunting, fishing, trap, skeet, rifle, pistol. If you need a sponsor let me know. New memberships begin in June.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast