Ulster County Application - Page 4
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Ulster County Application

1. Quote Originally Posted by hunter won View Post
    This I learned the other day.People that have paper license's are going in to get the new plastic cards and getting the restricted placed on them.
    Uh-oh, that's not good at all. I didn't realize the clerks had that power--I thought only the issuing judge could do that.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter won View Post
    Yes still many of the counties are lifetime in New York.Every county in New York has the ability to place restrictions its just the way it is now.
    I thought they all were lifetime except New York City. Do you know which ones aren't?

I knew that counties could place restrictions on new licenses, but I didn't know they could do it to an existing license. That's a bad sign.

From what I have heard...

The clerks are not the ones who are restricting the permits. The issuing judge still has to sign the back of the permit and when you go to pick up your new plastic card, you get restrictions.

Either way it is not a good sign. People who have had an unrestricted license and did nothing wrong are getting restricted because a new judge is not pro-2a. When are they going to learn the 2a is a right?

My experience, for what it's worth, has been that when getting the new plastic card, or ammending your license, the computer just tags it with the restrictions. I've been through this a couple of times. I just mention it to the permit clerk, and she runs a new copy without restrictions. I think the lady here in Rensselaer County does a great job keeping these things squared away.

5. In Ulster county, the Judge signs the back of the card before you get it, and they issue you a separate card with all of your guns listed on it with no signatures on it. I cant see why they would add restrictions to your actual ID card with your picture, thumb print and the judge's signature on it while amending the content of the second card when you add or remove guns. There must be something else going on. I know that the judges are getting a lot of pressure about unrestricted carry permits in NYS, but if you have one already, and they don't expire, why would it change? Unless of course a new Judge was elected into office for your district and he has decided to revoke all CCP with no restrictions on it. Which is very possible, so you need to be sure you get out there and vote!

6. UC Pistol Permit

Just got my permit less than 2 months ago and everyone is getting restrictions on it. Just be sure that you fill out everything you possibly can on the sheet that you use it for. Mine is restricted to everything under the sun, from camping, hiking, running, target, hunting, and fishing. They cannot fit anymore abbreviations on my permit without making more room on the card. I have spoken with several people in the know about getting my permit unrestricted and the exact words from one of the judges is that they want to see a "live fire" course before they will issue an unrestricted permit. Only problem is that Ulster County does not have anyone that will offer a live fire course as of yet. I am looking into taking one in Westchester in the next few weeks to hopefully build my case.

The whole thing is stupid because there are people out there like me who practice every other day but now need to pay $150.00 to go to a live fire course. You are only allowed one letter to the judge to get the restrictions taken off too so I want to make sure that I make my best argument the first and only time I get to.

gopryanhoy-
    check out the Dutchess County Pistol Association. They offer classes 1 weekend a month and it cost $50.00. I am getting certified to teach the NRA basic pistol course with live fire in 2 weeks, and I will be holding those classes in Ulster County.

8. That's positive that a justice said he wanted training.The problem is many of the old time permit holders carry guns open in public and have caused alarm to many people who are not familiar with seeing handguns.The law is concealed in New York state.There has been many incidents with guys walking in a rest stop with the gun on the hip after target shooting or hunting and get in trouble for menacing for placing a person in fear.Many counties have adopted a restrictive permit policy modeled after NYC,Nassau,Suffolk,Westchester.The problem with those counties you are not going to ever get unrestricted carry.I think training on how to use your weapon and retention is very important.

9. Training

dendrokeeper -

Let me know where & when and I will be there.

hunter won -

I have no problem with training at all, everyone can always use improvement. My problem is with how they will not tell anyone how to get an unrestricted permit if they want it. We already jumped through hoops of fire to get the permit, but now you are "hinting" that you want permit holders to take a course that isn't even offered in Ulster County? Really? Connecticut has an interesting policy, they require you to go and prove that you are capable of handling a firearm before they will give you a permit. Not an amazing thing, but at least they tell you what they want you to do to get an unrestricted permit.

10. For training

Quote Originally Posted by gopryanhoy View Post
    dendrokeeper -

Let me know where & when and I will be there.

hunter won -

I have no problem with training at all, everyone can always use improvement. My problem is with how they will not tell anyone how to get an unrestricted permit if they want it. We already jumped through hoops of fire to get the permit, but now you are "hinting" that you want permit holders to take a course that isn't even offered in Ulster County? Really? Connecticut has an interesting policy, they require you to go and prove that you are capable of handling a firearm before they will give you a permit. Not an amazing thing, but at least they tell you what they want you to do to get an unrestricted permit.
    It's positive that a justice in Ulster county mentioned he would like training in order to carry.Some judges believe that nobody should have a carry permit, so that wouldn't be fair for someone who has the training and is capable of carrying a concealed weapon.Anyone who applies for a handgun permit has a chance to include a letter to the judge that you respectfully request a unrestricted permit for your safety for the following reasons.Now go to a reputable NRA instructor in a class in self defense.Gander mountain offers courses.Some county justices require that you have the restricted handgun permit for a minimum of 2 years before they upgrade your permit.

This is the problem. Ulster County issued unrestricted until June. Now, all the judges have different requirements for issuing a permit. I knew about the training requirement. Which judge wants a two year wait? Also, I have not heard you can only petition the judge once. Since there is no statue that allows for a restricted permit, where is this clause derived from?

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast