Ulster County Application - Page 6
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Ulster County Application

1. Quote Originally Posted by Lunytoon95 View Post
    Finally had my interview with the Judge here in Ulster County. Judge Schneer.
    There were about 12 of us scheduled for that day and time. Court officers marched us all in the courtroom at once and we were instructed to sit. The Judge arrived and started to call names. You had to answer personal questions and explain the reasoning for your request to the amusement of all. Most of the people were not even dressed appropriately for court (sweatshirts, jeans, sneakers). Everyone I saw had no reason whatsoever for a permit, they had no idea what to say regarding the questions.
    When it was my turn at bat I explained myself, tried to offer paperwork, proof of qualifications and other items which Judge Schneer was not interested in viewing. After less then 10 questions, including your name and address, she was done.
    "Thank You for coming in, we will let you know" is all you get and out the door you went. Felt like a drive thru.
    I personally did not like explaining anything having to do with my life in front of other people, those are private issues concerning my life and the court should be aware of that.
    So now I wait (even longer) to even know what I may or may not get for a permit.
    Sounds like my first meeting with Judge Berry in Orange Co. He made us all arrive at 9:00AM and sit in his court room while he tried cases in front of us. He didn't start calling names until 11:00AM or so and went in Alphabetical order. I didn't get to go up to his bench to talk with him until 12:00PM. At least he was willing to listen to me and had an actual conversation with me about the right to carry, guns and responsibility. Unfortunately, In a court of law there are no private issues. Everyone that is there can hear what is going on.

At least when I went in to meet the Ulster Co. judge, he held it in his chambers. Everyone was marched in 1 at a time and the door was closed.

3. Just FYI, Judge Schneer did not get reelected on Nov. 3rd. She lost to former DA Don Williams by about 7000 votes. Maybe I should say "didn't get elected," because she wasn't elected the first time around either: she was appointed to fill the vacancy when Bruhn retired.

Williams says he is a friend of 2nd Amendment rights. We'll see what happens. I have the feeling it's going to be tighter than it was when Bruhn was on the bench, but not as tight as it was with Schneer. Let's hope the days of unrestricted permits aren't over in Ulster County.

I know Judge Schneer was not "re-elected". I think one of those reasons is her stance on the 2nd.
    Makes you wonder how she will handle the permit apps she has in front of her right now, like mine, when she knows Williams is on his way in and he is pro 2nd rights.
    I wonder what she will do? I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

5. Even if the judge is pro gun,the permits are going be restricted until you exhibit a reason to carry concealed.Many of the applicants wait a few years and apply for an upgrade.Most permit holders are not properly trained in the use of force and weapon retention.A CCW course may be required prior to applying for a no restriction permit.

6. You may request to meet in the judges chambers if you believe the questions are too personal for others to hear.Not every court is that way.Most important is how you appear and present yourself in the court.

7. Quote Originally Posted by hunter won View Post
    Even if the judge is pro gun,the permits are going be restricted until you exhibit a reason to carry concealed.Many of the applicants wait a few years and apply for an upgrade.Most permit holders are not properly trained in the use of force and weapon retention.A CCW course may be required prior to applying for a no restriction permit.
    That has not always been the case in Ulster County. Until this past spring/summer, unrestricted permits were being issued regularly. No interview, no training requirement.

8. Something is definately wrong with our system. I just got my Non Res PA CCP in the mail this morning. 11 Days exactly from when I dropped it off in the mail.

finally got the time and everything all together and submitted my application yesterday along with a receipt for a purchase I made. I am in no hurry but don't want to wait forever either. One good thing is that Williams will be in office when my time comes.

You should expect a 4-6 month wait. You need to take a training course if you have not done so already. I am surprised they let you drop off a receipt with your permit. They usually tell you to hang onto the bill of sale until your signed permit is ready to be picked up at the Sheriff's office.

Quote Originally Posted by toivo View Post
    That has not always been the case in Ulster County. Until this past spring/summer, unrestricted permits were being issued regularly. No interview, no training requirement.
    Rumor has it that a large number of CCW permit holders were arrested for various offenses earlier in the year. Because of that, virtually all permits are now being issued restricted. This change occurred in June.

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast