Ulster County Application - Page 7
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Ulster County Application

1. Quote Originally Posted by Sights on Target View Post
    Rumor has it that a large number of CCW permit holders were arrested for various offenses earlier in the year. Because of that, virtually all permits are now being issued restricted. This change occurred in June.
    I don't know if it was a large number--I imagine it would only take a few for the issuing judges to start getting squeamish. This is all just hearsay too, but the rumor I heard was that some judge or judges found themselves presiding over felony cases involving defendants whose permits they had signed. That's got to make a judge nervous. You and I and the lamp-post know that there isn't a significant amount of crime that is caused by CCW permit holders "going rogue," but the anti-gun forces would certainly like general public to believe that. Judges are elected officials, and they're sensitive to that kind of thing.

Judges have so much discretionary power--that's part of the problem. The state has no clear issue criteria, and the judges are putting their reputations on the line every time they sign a permit. I don't like restricted permits, but in some ways they're a compromise; upstate judges might otherwise start to follow the city pattern and reject permits right and left by setting arbitrary "need" criteria. That would suck.

If Ulster County ends up with mandatory training for concealed carry, it won't be the end of the world; training is good, right? By rights the county should provide this training free of charge, but given the current fiscal condition of this county, that's got a Sno-Cone's chance in Hades.

3. hi everyone .just signed up and my first post.finally got all my ducks in arow and turned in last week.have two questions.regarding military service there was nothing on the app about it.should i bring my 214 to the sherrifs to include it with my app,or bring it to court?also regarding privacy issues do they contact your employer?

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    hi everyone .just signed up and my first post.finally got all my ducks in arow and turned in last week.have two questions.regarding military service there was nothing on the app about it.should i bring my 214 to the sherrifs to include it with my app,or bring it to court?also regarding privacy issues do they contact your employer?

I would bring your 214 to court with you. I have not heard of them contacting employers lately, and they did not contact my employer when I received mine. Just be aware that UC is now restricting most, if not all permits and they are requiring either the Federated Sportsman's Club Pistol Safety Class, or the NRA Basic Pistol Class.

Quote Originally Posted by Sights on Target View Post
    I would bring your 214 to court with you. I have not heard of them contacting employers lately, and they did not contact my employer when I received mine. Just be aware that UC is now restricting most, if not all permits and they are requiring either the Federated Sportsman's Club Pistol Safety Class, or the NRA Basic Pistol Class.
    I did bring my DD214 with me to court, along with other documents to prove land ownership and other situations. The Judge did not want it, nor hear about it. The entire system is a catch-22. Bring it with you (any and all documentation) just so you have it, you never know.
    As for the sudden restrictions on permits here in Ulster county. The reason is a few permit holders were caught displaying i.e. menacing. Like I said, "reason". Its actually an excuse.
    The real reason for all the restrictions in Ulster and other Counties is from political pressure from higher up. Our wonderful leaders are using back door communications to try heavily restricting permits in all of New York. Ulster fell to its knee's from this pressure. Most counties in western NY have not. It is more important now more then ever to be involved in politics and vote in the proper leaders/lawmakers.
    I think more training is a great idea before you are allowed to carry around a tool capable of taking a life. I just wish they could set the laws up that you can train and learn before you apply.
    Just my 2 cents.

Mandatory Reading Material For CCW

Whether you already have your CCW license or are in the application process, do yourself a HUGE favor and pick up a copy of "In The Gravest Extreme - The Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection" by Massad F. Ayoob. The information in this easy reading 130 page book could very well keep you from going to jail for a long time due to a dumb mistake or simply lack of knowledge.

Let's face it, most if not all of us have never had professional training in the area of the law with regard to "rules of engagement" and in other important legal areas. In the military we were taught some of this, but this was in the context of a battlefield conflict or guard duty. It's not the same in the civilian arena. Carrying a deadly weapon and knowing when, by law, you are allowed to defend yourself is not as cut and dry as you might think. You don't want to find yourself involved in a coroners inquest second guessing why you did what you did in the heat of the moment. There are a lot of these types of gray areas that will be cleared up for you in this book. Here are some of the chapters:

• Self-Defense and Lethal Force
    • The Dangerous Myth Of Citizen Arrest
    • Samaritans With Guns
    • A Gun In Your Home
    • A Gun In The Street
    • A Gun In Your Car
    • Deterrent Effect Of Defense Handguns
    • Basic Gunfighting Techniques

This is a quick read, and includes some real life cases of CCW holders who thought they were "in the right" when defending themselves but the jury didn't agree. This certainly won't cover every possible scenario you may run into but may help you avoid jail or a huge civil lawsuit that will bankrupt you and your family.

Here's a link to the book on Amazon. It'll be the best $15 you ever spent.

Stay safe out there.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest whatsoever in
    recommending this book.
    Last edited by JayRoe; 12-04-2009 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Update

7. thanks for the input people.this forum is great.the reason its getting so much harder to get accw is the reason im finally applying.youd think quallifying expert in the marines would mean something,who knows with the wrong judge it might even hurt. been voteing every 2 yrs for over 20 yrs but this was the first time for an off year election.i hope i get wilson.

That is a great book. I like "The Concealed Handgun Manual: How to Choose, Carry, and Shoot a Gun in Self Defense" by Chris Bird as well. It too can be had for around 15 bucks off of amazon.

9. Many of the judges are pro gun.Most counties issue a restricted permit now,this is because of many problems with gun calls where a person is seen with a gun on him exposed not concealed.The lack of training is the reason for this type of problem.One good example was I joined a gun club in one of the southern Catskill outdor ranges where I was shooting my Ruger10/22 at paper targets 50 yards.I was shooting alone when a car pulled up with a guy getting out of his vehicle with a S&W model 60 .38 special revolver on his hip.I stopped shooting the rifle and unloaded it and made it safe.This person asked for my ID and placed his hand on the grip of his revolver, I said no problem, said to the guy that I'm a new member here is there a reason why your getting ready to draw your weapon on me, he said that his training taught him to be ready at all times because he doesn't know me and that I can be a threat.No problem here I showed him my ID and club membership and he said ok.This guy was on a power trip,no doubt he was the type who would have a confrontation over a minor incident.I talked to him for a few minutes and asked him how he got an unrestricted permit,he said that he was unable to apply for a CCW in Milford PA because his NY permit was restricted and a year later made an appointment with the judge and asked for an unrestricted permit because he travels to PA and can't get a permit there because of his NY restricted pistol permit.So that was the way he obtained his unrestricted permit.

10. book him for open carry, menacing and beeing a tool.

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    book him for open carry, menacing and beeing a tool.
    Precisely. We do not carry to confront individuals. When carrying you take a more backseat role in your surroundings. Your firearm is for self defense in the gravest of situations. Not for checking the membership card of somebody at a gun club.

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast