Ulster County Application
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ulster County Application

Ulster County Application

I just dropped off my application for a permit yesterday at the Sheriff's Office in Ulster County. The clerk was extremely nice and told me about 3 months, sometimes shorter. She also told me to call at 3 months if I do not hear back so she can make sure it is not hung up anywhere.

The countdown begins...

3. Mine took almost exactly three months--just a few days short. Your mileage may vary.

At least it gives you something to look forward to in the mailbox every day. Good luck!

I heard from the pistol unit today. My application is in court, but as of now Ulster County will be requiring interviews with the issuing judge and I was told it may take a while now.

5. Quote Originally Posted by dendrokeeper View Post
    I heard from the pistol unit today. My application is in court, but as of now Ulster County will be requiring interviews with the issuing judge and I was told it may take a while now.
    I thought it depended on which judge you draw. Are they all doing interviews now?

They are all doing interviews. I had mine today. The Judge will now only issue concealed carry if you are in the security business or carry large amounts of cash. He approved me for a restricted license today.

7. A few questions: Which judge was it? What's your restriction? Is it "target and hunting only"?

Judge Bruhn has either already retired or will be retiring soon. Gov Patterson has appointed an interim replacement, but there will be an election for the position in November. Depending on the outcome of that election, you may be able to apply to have your restrictions removed. It might be a good idea to do a course or two while you wait; there seems to be a trend in upstate counties to upgrade permits to unrestricted if you get training. I know Broome County has done that recently.
    Last edited by toivo; 06-23-2009 at 01:01 AM. Reason: too many questions

Deborah Schneer - Gun Friendly?

Has anyone had a CCW interview yet with the new Ulster County Judge - Deborah Shneer? Is she allowing unrestricted licenses or ?

I had Justice Cahill and got the standard "hunting / target" restrictions. I am actually going to take the instructor class for the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course. As far as I know from many people I have talked to, all judges will be issuing restricted permits due to the amount of permits being applied for. This came from gun dealers at 3 separate shops.

One of the questions that was asked during the interview was about your experience with pistols specifically. I am hoping the NRA courses I am taking and becoming a NRA instructor will help.

10. Quote Originally Posted by dendrokeeper View Post
    One of the questions that was asked during the interview was about your experience with pistols specifically.
    That's interesting, because technically in New York State you're not even supposed to handle a pistol until you get your permit.

This is just hearsay, but I heard that Ulster County judges are restricting perrnits because a few judges had people that they had issued permits to come up before them as defendants. Not good for RKBA.

Hello, I dropped off my permit beginning of April. Im in the same boat as you guys. TOIVO, I have heard the same rumor about the CCW's coming back as defendants from "people" inside the system.
    Im still waiting for my appointment for my face to face with the Judge. I will push for my CCW but I am aware that I will not get it.
    I personally do not think its fair that because of a few knuckleheads who cant control themselves ( maybe they should have done better background checks?) that we all have to pay the price.
    I know a few friends who have already gone in front of Judge Cahill. They have all said the Judge here in Ulster County blatantly states during court that "NO ONE can show him a "NEED" to carry concealed and he will not issue them"

WHERE IS OUR FAIR DAY IN COURT?

Ulster County is now like living just north of the city. With the rise of crime, home invasions, assaults, drugs, muggings and a slew of other crimes that are committed on good citizens every day in this county our right to protect our families and ourselves has been stripped from us. We are lucky to even hear about one tenth of the violent crimes that occur around us, they are not newsworthy enough.
    Ulster County residents need to stand up and defend OUR rights!
    If anyone has any info concerning getting this fixed please let me know, I am willing to volunteer time and energy to correct this perverted view of our "Elected" leaders.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast