Selling a handgun in N.C. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selling a handgun in N.C.

Yeah, it's a bit muddy. Personally I like to have a local FFL handle the transaction as what they call an "In house transfer", they do that for a measly 10$ and it gives buyer and seller peace of mind.
    Knarren und Zigarren!!!

Well I was going to create another topic for this question but figured it'd fit in pretty well here. I am attempting to sell my Beretta Subcompact on Armslist and just spoke with an interested party. I asked if he had a Pistol Purchase Permit or a Conceal Carry Permit and he said he has a pistol purchase permit from South Carolina. Am I allowed to accept this as proof for purchase?

4. Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Bryant View Post
    Well I was going to create another topic for this question but figured it'd fit in pretty well here. I am attempting to sell my Beretta Subcompact on Armslist and just spoke with an interested party. I asked if he had a Pistol Purchase Permit or a Conceal Carry Permit and he said he has a pistol purchase permit from South Carolina. Am I allowed to accept this as proof for purchase?

My best friend is a Char-Meck Police Officer and he said that in NC you DO NOT need to keep a copy of the purchasers PPP. However you do need to verify that he is not a fellon, as selling to a fellon is illegal, and having a PPP or concealed carry permit is that proof since it's issued by the Sheriff after a background check. So it's up to you to retain the proof or not. Example, If i'ts your buddy and you know he's not a fellow you can make the exchange with cash and that's it. It's smart though to keep a bill of sale at the minimum, and a copy of the PPP if you wish. It's just to cover your own butt. When you buy a gun from a dealer or FFL they take the permit to show you bought the gun as they are required by the ATF who issues their FFL license to show who they're selling to for inventory purposes as they sell alot of guns and it protects them from selling to fellons as well. I thought the ATF would show the gun registered to you but guns in NC do not have to be registered so you just show as the initial purchaser. The gun could be sold 10 times and you would still be that initial buyer and your records of sale show who you sold it to and is the paper trail should that gun be involved in a crime.

Firearm bill of sale - http://www.dan-shannon.com/storage/F...ll_of_Sale.pdf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12