Selling a handgun in N.C.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling a handgun in N.C.

Selling a handgun in N.C.

I was just thinking.... the person buying the handgun has to have either a permit to buy from their county sheriff or a concealed carry permit....

Does the seller in a private sale have to have anything besides being a "resident">

3. Not according to statute. If it was me, I'd get a dated receipt and the buyers PPP.

following up on this.....

I have been under the impression that both private and FFL sales of a handgun in N.C. required the permit from the sherrif unless the buyer had a valid NC concealed permit....

I've now been told on another forum that this is only a requirement for a purchase through an FFL not when dong a private sale.

Can somebody more informed on N.C. laws help me out here and clear this up?

Regardless of where you're getting the handgun from you need either a PPP or CHP.
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan .When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

Not perfectly clear on pistol transfers either. Have bought several w/o toilet tissue but do not know whether it is legal or not. Supposedly personal transfers are OK as a gift.

North Carolina

To acquire a handgun in North Carolina (including private sales, gifts, and inheritance) an individual must go to the county sheriff's office in the county in which they reside and obtain a pistol purchase permit. This is not required if one has a CCW (Carrying a Concealed Weapon) permit.[201] State law requires the applicant to appear in person with government ID, pay a $5 fee, undergo a background check similar in scope and scrutiny to NICS, and have a reason for owning a pistol (hunting, target shooting, self defense, or collecting). Because there are 100 different counties in North Carolina, there are different sets of rules and requirements for obtaining such a permit, which can be determined arbitrarily by the local sheriff. Some sheriffs impose other restrictions such as a limit on the number of permits applied for at a time, waiting periods, and/or proof of good moral character (a witness or references, in some cases notarized with affidavits).[202][203][204][205][206] The Pistol Purchase requirements are a holdover from Jim Crow laws that were designed to prevent African-Americans and other minorities from easily obtaining handguns.[207]

Durham County requires the registration of handguns. In accordance to North Carolina Law, no other county or local government may require handgun registration.[207]

North Carolina is a "shall issue" state for the concealed carry of handguns. Application for a concealed carry license is made through the local county sheriff's office. Applicants must complete a state approved training course. State approved courses are not highly regulated, and can be found everywhere. A CCW license is valid for a period of five years. Regardless of the possession of a CCW permit, absolutely no person may possess a concealed weapon at any government-run facility or any educational establishment.[208]

North Carolina honors concealed carry permits issued by Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and West Virginia. North Carolina's permit is valid in approximately thirty states, more than any other CCW permit.[209][210]

Open Carry is also legal throughout North Carolina[211] except within the town of Cary, which forbids it by local ordinance. In the city of Chapel Hill, open carry is restricted to guns of a certain minimum size, under the theory that small, concealable weapons are more often associated with criminal activity. No permit is required to carry a weapon openly in North Carolina. You shall be able[citation needed] to carry weapons if no one is harmed.[clarification needed] If someone feels threatened by your open carrying, you may be arrested under the state's "Going armed to the terror of the public" statute. Simply feeling threatened at the sight of openly carried weapon does not rise to the level of "Going armed to the terror of the public."[citation needed] Interaction with law enforcement is often largely dependent on the attitude[clarification needed] of the officers involved and the conduct of the individual.[clarification needed]

Gun laws in the United States (by state) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law..._United_States

Thanks for the replys... that is what I thought. You would think someone would challenge this law.

I know there are alot of what we call Bubba sales at every gun show i have ever been to and I have bought some that way too. And the Hillsville Va flea market every labor day weekend is a huge bubba sale.

Can anybody recommend HIllsville worth going to. We've recently move to central NC and wonder if it's worth the 1 1/2 hour drive on Labor Day weekend?
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

for private sales, the buyer must be legally allowed to own/possess a firearm. (I.E. a have a PPP or CHP) the seller doesnt need to keep the PPP or make a copy of the CHP, but does need to at least see proof. If as a seller you wish to keep said proof on file, that's purely your choice. No legal requirement though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast