UTAH CCW class

Thread: UTAH CCW class

UTAH CCW class

Hi!

I just completed the class with TAKEAIM TRAINING (Home) and just wanted to say that the course was well done. I expected it to be boring since it naturally had to go over a lot of safety rules that I had heard a number of times already but the instructor did an excellent job of explaining things in a very practical and straightforward fashion. Instead I found myself enjoying the course a lot!

For those it might benefit: The Utah permit is valid in NC and you can get it without being a citiizen which you would have to be in order to get a NC permit. Worth considering if that applies 2 u.

3. Could you tell me the advantage of getting a CC permit from Utah? Is this one easier to get?

UT is currently valid in these blue states

also may consider

AZ is currently valid in these blue states...you may already have sufficient training, it's only $60/$43 initial/renew, and also done entirely thru the mail.

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms training program that is approved by the department of public safety and that is conducted by instructors who are authorized by the department of public safety or who possess current national rifle association instructor certifications in pistol and personal protection and who submit to a background investigation, including a check for warrants and a criminal history records check.

2. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety.

3. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

4. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

5. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

6. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

7. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

8. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

9. Completion of any other firearms training that the department of public safety deems acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgooch View Post
    Could you tell me the advantage of getting a CC permit from Utah? Is this one easier to get?
    It is easier to get. The NC permit for example requires that the training course has a mininum of 8 hours, it costs more initially and on renewal, too.

In this case the course was done in about 2 hours and it did not require range time. Now, please don't get me wrong, I think range training is great. However, if the people taking the course have been shooting for some time already and have already taken other training courses it becomes a bit redudandant to take them to the range again and start from zero one more time.

Essentially the Utah permit is as simple and straightforward and inexpensive as they could make it and I appreciate that attitude. Permits are far too often just seen as a way to milk off the applicant .

There are other permits that may have better reciprocity or offer other perks but if you're looking for a no nonsense permit and are on budget I would consider this one.