correct open carry in car - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: correct open carry in car

I've read about a bunch of ppl on here say that when they open carry in a hip holster, they put the gun in the passenger seat cuz when they shut the door and the gun is on their hip it becomes concealed carry. has anyone been told this by a cop, or gotten in trouble this way? I almost never take my gun off while driving, no cop has ever given me a hard time about it, yet

Quote Originally Posted by aosailor View Post
    I've read about a bunch of ppl on here say that when they open carry in a hip holster, they put the gun in the passenger seat cuz when they shut the door and the gun is on their hip it becomes concealed carry. has anyone been told this by a cop, or gotten in trouble this way? I almost never take my gun off while driving, no cop has ever given me a hard time about it, yet
    I've wondered about this as well. My earlier post in this thread was from handgunlaw.us, and they don't mention this subject. I recently started OC'ing and am worried that my body and center console obstructs the view of my holstered handgun thereby becoming concealed. I'm not in the habit of getting pulled over, but I suppose I'll see what happens if I do.

I get stopped....A LOT! (lead foot syndrome) and have been through 3 ID checks this month alone, every time OCing with my gun holstered on my hip. I state that I am OPENLY carrying a firearm on my hip. I am yet to be given any grief about weather or not its concealed....this is just my experience

Well, good news, I do now have a CCW permit so no more issues for me.

Quote Originally Posted by aosailor View Post

99% of the time the cop will ask where, TELL them, DON'T show them. then go from there. in my experience they take my gun and run it to make sure its clean. no big deal, it's "for my safety as well as his" I get it back at the end usually with only a warning if that. knock on wood I have never gotten a ticket while carrying a firearm. just be polite and do what the cop asks, within reason obviously.

How is "running the numbers" for anybody's safety???? What reason are they "making sure it's clean"?

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    How is "running the numbers" for anybody's safety???? What reason are they "making sure it's clean"?

I'm a complete stranger to this officer who is stopping me. I'm carrying a gun openly for which there is no license needed. from the officer's perspective I totally understand where he is coming from. the gun doesn't have to be mine, but it has to be clean, ie not stolen or used in a shooting. most officers know enough about guns to safely unload it and handle it. however i have had a few that had no idea what they were doing, in those situations things got a little heated....

an officer has the right to take your firearm during a stop/while you are detained if they so choose to. after all is said and done, they must give it back

Well, I seem to dissent with the general belief here.

I've carried for 25 years on my hip in a car and never gotten a problem. If it is on your hip and not covered by a shirt, jacket, etc. it is "openly carried".
    Read STATE V. HUNTLEY remarks by the judge. A pistol carried in a holster on the hip is not concealed. When I get pulled over I just have my hands on the wheel and tell the cop I have a handgun on my right hip. If you keep your wallet in your right back pocket and your piece is on your right side, be sure that you tell him this before you go reaching for it. Once or twice the cop has asked me to step out of the car and he has taken the handgun while I get my DL. Once it's all over he'll give back the DL and the gun (assuming you aren't a crook).

I'm sure if carrying a gun in a holster on your hip while driving was "concealed" I would have been in jail a long time ago.
    "If it is time to bury your guns, then it is time to dig them up!"

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    BS. Anytime a handgun's serial number is run it goes into a federal database.
    So even if you bought it from a friend and didn't have to fill out the 4473, if a cop runs the serial # during a traffic stop, you're connected to it. Even if he gives it back and sends you on your way without a ticket.
    "If it is time to bury your guns, then it is time to dig them up!"

Quote Originally Posted by NCjones View Post
    Well, I seem to dissent with the general belief here.

I've carried for 25 years on my hip in a car and never gotten a problem. If it is on your hip and not covered by a shirt, jacket, etc. it is "openly carried".
    Read STATE V. HUNTLEY remarks by the judge. A pistol carried in a holster on the hip is not concealed. When I get pulled over I just have my hands on the wheel and tell the cop I have a handgun on my right hip. If you keep your wallet in your right back pocket and your piece is on your right side, be sure that you tell him this before you go reaching for it. Once or twice the cop has asked me to step out of the car and he has taken the handgun while I get my DL. Once it's all over he'll give back the DL and the gun (assuming you aren't a crook).

I'm sure if carrying a gun in a holster on your hip while driving was "concealed" I would have been in jail a long time ago.
    Well, I am glad this works well for you. But I simply can't afford to even have that go to court and I don't want to have to rely on one either (you never know with courts). So for me the CCW permit was a better choice even though I agree with you on principal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12