Got kicked out of the mall for open carry - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got kicked out of the mall for open carry

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    Is it time for you to arrange OPEN CARRY DAY at the mall???
    Thats what I was just thinking.

To the OP, you did the right thing. I believe. And what the other feller said about going back and debating it unarmed, that was a great idea if in fact you had intention of doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by aosailor View Post
    they told me it was illegal to open carry in the mall and to conceal it if I had a CCW, which I told them I didn't.
    Just about every mall in the country has the No Weapons rule posted...so the fact that they would have allowed you to carry concealed is actually pretty awesome.

Although...if it is posted like they claim...then even CC is illegal...

§ 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer. In addition to these requirements, a military permittee whose permit has expired during deployment may carry a concealed handgun during the 90 days following the end of deployment and before the permit is renewed provided the permittee also displays proof of deployment to any law enforcement officer.

(b) The sheriff shall issue a permit to carry a concealed handgun to a person who qualifies for a permit under G.S. 14‑415.12. The permit shall be valid throughout the State for a period of five years from the date of issuance.

(c) A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in the areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, and 14‑277.2, in an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1, in any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. § 922 or any other federal law, in a law enforcement or correctional facility, in a building housing only State or federal offices, in an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in his body any alcohol or in his blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in his blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.

Actually it sounds like it went well. It didn't get out of hand, & no one got arrested. I don't know NC law but in Va you cannot carry in private property (which a mall is) as per below.
    §18.2-308 (O.): Private property when prohibited by the owner of the property, or where posted as prohibited.
    Unfortunately, the security guards act on behalf of the owners. Although it wasn't posted once you are notified, that acts as your notice to remove the firearm from the premises.
    Just another reason to have a CCW. It allows you to conceal it from the scared masses & you will always have it at the ready.

Mall carry

Quote Originally Posted by aosailor View Post
    I was shopping at North Lake mall this afternoon openly carrying my .45 in a serpa holster. I've done it before several times. there are no stickers on the doors and their plaque with the rules and guidelines say nothing about weapons, firearms, or anything of the sort.

a mall security guy stopped me and asked if I was a cop, but before he even stopped me he had called CMPD (who has several officers patrolling the mall) because as he started to ask me about my gun I could see a cop hustling my way.

they told me it was illegal to open carry in the mall and to conceal it if I had a CCW, which I told them I didn't. I was asked to remove my gun from the premises. I was polite and said I would, but asked how it was illegal, where it said that? they were both adamant that there were signs posted, the officer even said that the plaque states it. I read the plaque and even video recored what it said, nowhere does it even mention firearms or weapons.

i put the gun in my car and finished my shopping. what should I have done? any thoughts or suggestions? anybody know the letter of the law here?
    Malls are private property. If they ask you to remove the weapon from the premises, most states will back them up because you are on private property. Signage is helpful because it states their policy at the door, but if they specifically ask you then you should comply or be slapped with a trespass violation.

I'm glad they were cool with concealed carry, however--who among us would like to rely on Paul Blart, Mall Cop to save us when the next crazy comes to the mall armed to the teeth and intent to taking as many with him as possible???

Like I said before there were no signs anywhere about their gun policy, trust me I looked. Whichr I did think was cool because most if not all malls I've ever been in has said no weapons. That's why I tried OCing.

I am very open for the OC day at North Lake mall! Anybody willing
    to show up for it?

I agree, get your CCW, then you won't be confronted. I bet the malls will post "No Weapons" policy in the future. Problem is, criminals with bad intent won't obey it.

OC day at the mall is just flaunting it ....... in my opinion.

I am all for the 2nd amendment, open carry, conceal carry, either one. However, in my opinion, the OC day will bring negative publicity to your cause.

Find a governor candidate (as in Gov. Jan Brewer) my Gov. in AZ - who supports conceal carry without a permit and elect him/her.

I've posted earlier in this my reasons why I refuse to get my CCW in NC.

in other threads ppl have talked about some sort of nc carry pamphlet...... what exactly is this and where can I find one?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast