anybody with Utah CCW in NC?

Thread: anybody with Utah CCW in NC?

anybody with Utah CCW in NC?

I am wondering if anybody else here in NC has a UTAH permit and what experiences he has with it? Like if local LE gave him any grief about not having the NC permit?

Quote Originally Posted by bgbrown125 View Post
    If you now live in NC, I would venture a guess that NC wants your $$$, so they will require you to get the NC permit.
    Contact your local Sherriff and they can tell you what you need to do.
    Anytime you have conflicting documentation, it can be an issue.
    NC does not require a resident to have a NC permit.

14‑415.24

14‑415.24. Reciprocity; out‑of‑state handgun permits.

(a) A valid concealed handgun permit or license issued by another state is valid in North Carolina if that state grants the same right to residents of North Carolina who have valid concealed handgun permits issued pursuant to this Article in their possession while carrying concealed weapons in that state.

(b) The Attorney General shall maintain a registry of states that meet the requirements of this section on the North Carolina Criminal Information Network and make the registry available to law enforcement officers for investigative purposes.

(c) Every 12 months after the effective date of this subsection, the Department of Justice shall make written inquiry of the concealed handgun permitting authorities in each other state as to: (i) whether a North Carolina resident may carry a concealed handgun in their state based upon having a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit and (ii) whether a North Carolina resident may apply for a concealed handgun permit in that state based upon having a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit. The Department of Justice shall attempt to secure from each state permission for North Carolina residents who hold a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit to carry a concealed handgun in that state, either on the basis of the North Carolina permit or on the basis that the North Carolina permit is sufficient to permit the issuance of a similar license or permit by the other state. (2003‑199, s. 1.)

I have in fact contacted the NC department of justice. The UT permit is valid in NC as long as they have reciprocity. As so often local LE was not much help, my local sheriff initially didn't even want to give me a handgun permit claiming he could not since I was not a citizen. That's not required by NC law so I eventually got one, my handgun and the UT permit. I would get the NC CCW permit but they won't let me because I am not a citizen which is required by NC law. So far so good, I am just wondering if anybody ever had to present his UT CCW permit in NC and how did it go?

I received mine last November. The state of NC is too strict, and expensive. If a LEO questions the validity of the Utah permit there is a number on the back of the permit that they should call.

Correct, mainly I am wondering if anybody had any encounter yet and how did it go?

Guess, I must be the only one then, chuckle...

8. I have a VA non-res and was also concerned about the BS factor. I've asked several cops and shown them the permit and none have had an issue with it.
    When I received it in the mail I wrote a letter to the NC AG inquiring as to the legality of a NC resident who has been issued a out-of-state non-res permit.

The reply I received was that it was perfectly legal. He also sent a letter from the VA state police and a copy of the recip. agreement.

PM me if you would like a copy of the reply and other stuff the NC AG sent me. I keep a copy in my wallet just in case. You know there's always one just out of the academy and knows everything. :)

Since then I have applied for and received the NH non-res and the FLA non-res. So I'm covered on nearly the whole eastern seaboard except NY and SC.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_I_Am View Post
    I have a VA non-res and was also concerned about the BS factor. I've asked several cops and shown them the permit and none have had an issue with it.
    When I received it in the mail I wrote a letter to the NC AG inquiring as to the legality of a NC resident who has been issued a out-of-state non-res permit.

The reply I received was that it was perfectly legal. He also sent a letter from the VA state police and a copy of the recip. agreement.

PM me if you would like a copy of the reply and other stuff the NC AG sent me. I keep a copy in my wallet just in case. You know there's always one just out of the academy and knows everything. :)

Since then I have applied for and received the NH non-res and the FLA non-res. So I'm covered on nearly the whole eastern seaboard except NY and SC.
    Thank you very much, you really are putting my mind at ease there! And I'd love to have a copy of that letter so I will PM you my email address.