I'm moving... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm moving...

I live in Greensboro and Greensboro sucks. you need to be west of interstate 77.

3. As a resident of NC, may I suggest Tennessee :)
    http://NCgunOwners.com

Ok! Just got my Pennsylvania permit in the mail, so I should be good to go through most of the states on the Eastern Seaboard. Wow! I can't believe how quick the turn around was on that! It took 2 weeks (mailed the app out on Jan. 17th!)
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNNERDOGGY View Post
    NC isn't particularly friendly to open cary. While not explicitly forbidden, it is also not specifically called out as being legal, and is open to intrerpretation by the authorities. They have this thing called "going armed to the terror of the public"... which could be anything...

Also, check out the interactive reciprocity map:

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

If i were you, i would get an NC permit as soon as you move. It covers lots of states.
    I don't think I would open carry anyway. Personally, I like to keep the element of surprise! It makes for potent deterrence.
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidr1 View Post
    I live in Greensboro and Greensboro sucks. you need to be west of interstate 77.
    I just looked at the maps, Asheboro is the only city west of 77. Charlotte is kind of on the line though. I would depend on the economy down there and whether I could find a job.
    Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    As a resident of NC, may I suggest Tennessee :)
    Why Tennessee? I mean, I have heard nothing but good things as far as gun laws go, but isn't Western North Carolina pretty fair too?
    Freedom isn't free.

Moving

I am a resident of NC. Gun laws are Ok. Can't carry where alcohol is sold and consumed on premises. Can't carry in a movie theater and a few other wierd places that you actually might need to. You can open carry without a permit. The "going armed to the terror of the public" statute is vague, but could be used against you by a prick cop. Just get the NC permit. It is good for 33 states.

Stay out of Mecklenburg county (Charlotte), go north(cabarrus county) or south (union county). Ashville is a liberal bastion in NC, but NYC it aint. More granola than anything.

Tennessee has better laws, but finding work is tough (try nashville). Trying to move back there myself.

Kentucky might suit you. Laws are GREAT. Could probably find a job in Lexington/Cincinatti area.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Ok! Just got my Pennsylvania permit in the mail, so I should be good to go through most of the states on the Eastern Seaboard. Wow! I can't believe how quick the turn around was on that! It took 2 weeks (mailed the app out on Jan. 17th!)

I don't think I would open carry anyway. Personally, I like to keep the element of surprise! It makes for potent deterrence.

I just looked at the maps, Asheboro is the only city west of 77. Charlotte is kind of on the line though. I would depend on the economy down there and whether I could find a job.

Why Tennessee? I mean, I have heard nothing but good things as far as gun laws go, but isn't Western North Carolina pretty fair too?
    Ashboro is not west of i-77. Ashville is west of i-77. Ashboro is south of Greensboro.

I live in Mooresville NC (I-77 north of Charlotte south of Statesville) I open carry everyday, everywhere I'm legally allowed to(which is more places than Concealed Carry). NC is Open Carry friendly, the laws are not vague or iffy. Going Armed to the Terror of the Public is an old common law that gets misused by LEOs. they like to use it to threaten you into submitting to their commands. buts its all BS and if you stand your ground they usually back off. 1 out of the 4 stipulations required to convict you is that you must be going about a public highway. if you are walking around a grocery store, you are not on a highway.

most cops dont bother you, but there are the VERY FEW that want to be a bully.

Have you looked at Boone, NC ant that area? Banner Elk, Jefferson etc. absolutely gorgeous area. Good Luck with the move and dont be afraid to OC time and again!

8. OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost! ...

While you have a PA permit, you can get a NH non-res permit simply thru the mail by sending a copy of your PA permit and some $ to NH.

If you get a NC permit you gotta go thru all the classes and crap again. A NH non-res permit is valid in NC. The only disadvantage is that you can't use it as an alternative to the NICS check to purchase a handgun IN nc, you'd have to go to the sheriffs office for a Permit-to-purchase which takes about 2 weeks and costs $5 PER ppp.

DO NOT MOVE TO CARY. They have a ban on OC'ing and CC'ing within the city limits unless you're on your own property.
    "The Town of Cary does not allow the open or concealed carry of a weapon while on any public property within our community including on greenways, in public parks or Town facilities, or in Town-owned parking lots. The ordinance does not allow the open carry of any firearm on public sidewalks or right-of-ways. See Section 22-51(a) of the Town of Cary Code of Ordinances." RE: Firearms within the Town of Cary

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_I_Am View Post
    OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost! ...

While you have a PA permit, you can get a NH non-res permit simply thru the mail by sending a copy of your PA permit and some $ to NH.

If you get a NC permit you gotta go thru all the classes and crap again. A NH non-res permit is valid in NC. The only disadvantage is that you can't use it as an alternative to the NICS check to purchase a handgun IN nc, you'd have to go to the sheriffs office for a Permit-to-purchase which takes about 2 weeks and costs $5 PER ppp.

DO NOT MOVE TO CARY. They have a ban on OC'ing and CC'ing within the city limits unless you're on your own property.
    "The Town of Cary does not allow the open or concealed carry of a weapon while on any public property within our community including on greenways, in public parks or Town facilities, or in Town-owned parking lots. The ordinance does not allow the open carry of any firearm on public sidewalks or right-of-ways. See Section 22-51(a) of the Town of Cary Code of Ordinances." RE: Firearms within the Town of Cary
    I would avoid the R/D, Charlotte and Greensboro area of NC completely.

I say look at SC or TN. (It's JMHO; But I think the Laws in these two states are more favorable to the gun owner.)

It appears SC laws are about to change for the BETTER. They're real good already, even though we don't have OC "yet" and CC in bars/resturaunts that serve alcohol is currently illegal.

The best thing about CC in SC is most LEOs see it as a positive and fully support CC; and you also have some real good laws that protect you as a CCer.

Myrtle Beach and Charleston are two very good areas for work. I would also consider Columbia and Greenville/Spartanburg.

As a former & future resident of TN, I can HIGHLY recommend that state as well. Although, I would avoid the Memphis area, the central and eastern parts of the state have a LOT to offer in the way of jobs an CCer protections.

Before you move, be sure and check ALL the gun laws of the states you'll pass through. Also check with "Federal" law.

I am not an attorney or gun law expert. But, it shouldn't really be a big deal. Federal laws offers some protections for "transporting" firearms during a "move" from one state to another. (One thing you may be able to do is disassemble all your firearms and pack them away in the back of the moving truck.)

Here's a great place to start your research of "Gun" laws: Handgunlaw.us

PS;
    The other thing you will like about SC or TN is the fact that your firearms do not have to be registered in the same manner they do in NY.

Good Luck!

-

10. Quote Originally Posted by GUNNERDOGGY View Post
    NC isn't particularly friendly to open cary. While not explicitly forbidden, it is also not specifically called out as being legal, and is open to intrerpretation by the authorities. They have this thing called "going armed to the terror of the public"... which could be anything...

Also, check out the interactive reciprocity map:

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

If i were you, i would get an NC permit as soon as you move. It covers lots of states.
    I would disagree that NC is not opencarry friendly . There are a couple cities that are not but most are pretty good about it . There are a lot of Police uninformed and may stop you but they can not charge you with GATTOP. That is a big mis perception. They can not charge you with that for just carrying it in your holster. There is a forum called Opencarry.org I would suggest going there and do some reading. I live in Charlotte and I open carry all the time at the gas stations , walmart , grocery stores. ETC. The biggest thing about open carrying is knowing your rights and knowing all the laws . If you get stopped they take your weapon usually just while they are talking to you and some may say its illegal and try to hit you with GATTOP but if you explain the laws and they wil definitely call a super before trying to arrest you for that charge and they will then find out that they cant and hand you your weapon back and you will be on your way and the more these encounters happen the more people are knowledged about it so don't be discouraged if you get stopped and know that it is rare. But I would say getting a concealed carry is a great option but know you have the option of open carry and you dont have to get a permit. Please visit opencarry.org for some more info.

11. O and what I like about NC you have the option of Open carry or concealed and our CHP license is accepted in more states than any I believe and also we dont have some crazy law on printing where if your concealing and the shape of the gun can be seen through the shirt you can get in trouble but not here. If your in your car you can leave it loaded on the seat or the dash unlike other states close by. I wouldnt trade our gun laws for any other except maybe Arizona where you dont need a permit to carry either way. Yes you have to get a permit to purchase but I got mine in 24 hours. And if you have a NCHP you dont have to get a purchase permit. And the purchase permit is only for handguns not long guns.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast