Castle Doctrine in North Carolina?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castle Doctrine in North Carolina?

1. Castle Doctrine in North Carolina?

I am moving to NC and have a CCP issued from MI. I know that NC honors reciprocity with MI but if you know of a problem I would like to know so I may avoid it. My actual question is this. In MI I am protected on my personall private property and car by the Castle Doctrine. What protection do I have in NC?

No protection from civil lawsuit.
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan .When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

4. Castle Doctrine

Here is a link that may help-I would also contact the state personally.

GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF NORTH CAROLINA
    SESSION 2009
    S 2
    SENATE BILL 928
    Judiciary II Committee Substitute Adopted 5/12/09
    Short Title: The Castle Doctrine. (Public)

North Carolina General Assembly - Site Search Results

Quote Originally Posted by jguessrn View Post
    I am moving to NC and have a CCP issued from MI. I know that NC honors reciprocity with MI but if you know of a problem I would like to know so I may avoid it. My actual question is this. In MI I am protected on my personall private property and car by the Castle Doctrine. What protection do I have in NC?
    NC has the castle doctrine also. Someone breaking into your house, residence or company to comit a felony may be halted at the door. Once inside, you must meet the same criteria for deadly force as required outside the house, yet, you do NOT have a duty to retreat.
    If you are to have a NC address, you WILL need a NC concealed carry permit. Drivers licence address and concealed carry address must match.
    That would the be only problem I can anticipate.

Quote Originally Posted by gunf1ght View Post
    NC has the castle doctrine also. Someone breaking into your house, residence or company to comit a felony may be halted at the door. Once inside, you must meet the same criteria for deadly force as required outside the house, yet, you do NOT have a duty to retreat.
    If you are to have a NC address, you WILL need a NC concealed carry permit. Drivers licence address and concealed carry address must match.
    That would the be only problem I can anticipate.
    If I just moved to NC, and have a TX and AZ permit/license, what are my option until I can get my NC permit? I'm a resident but don't meet the full requirements to get my NC permit for at least 30 days before I can even apply and it takes up to another 90 to issue. Am I supposed to huddle in the closet for 120 days while NC gets their act together?

You said you already checked that NC honors the MI permit? Can you get that updated with your new address, does MI do non res permits?

Quote Originally Posted by billv View Post
    If I just moved to NC, and have a TX and AZ permit/license, what are my option until I can get my NC permit? I'm a resident but don't meet the full requirements to get my NC permit for at least 30 days before I can even apply and it takes up to another 90 to issue. Am I supposed to huddle in the closet for 120 days while NC gets their act together?
    Schedule the NC CCH class ASAP. Talk to the sheriff of the county that you are moving to. They, at their discretion, may issue a temporary concealed carry permit. I will check on residency requirements for you. Last experience I had with someone with residency change was girlfriend. Gaston County said there was no residency requirement, just have to have a NC drivers license.. There is still the possibility of a 90 day wait for records check... Most counties have been turning them in about 6 weeks.

9. Update from John Richardson - No Lawyers Only Guns and Money

S&W M&P 40

FYI: This Bill had passed the NC House, by a WIDE margin early last year (or so?). It was sent to the Senate where a rabid anti-gunner committe chair named Ross (since deposed) sandbagged the Bill and would not let it come out of committee.

I contacted all the prime players last year to urge a "forced out" of committee vote, but the posturing for the next election was in full force and nothing happened.

I expect this to come out to the floor most ricky tick and if the other side of the legislature is any indication..... the Bill should be law before the end of the year.

About bloody time, I might add.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

11. More good news...an update thanks to JOHN RICHARDSON from onlygunsandmoney.blogspot,

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 22, 2011

Castle Doctrine In North Carolina Is Out Of Committee
    SB 34, the first castle doctrine bill filed, has been reported out of the NC Senate Judiciary II committee. It will come to the floor of the State Senate as early as tomorrow.

As I discussed earlier, this bill had been criticized as not going far enough as it did not cover people in their vehicles nor did it have a "stand your ground" provision. These defects have been remedied as the Judiciary II committee adopted substitute language to strengthen the bill. It now adds both of these provisions.

Both the NRA and Grass Roots North Carolina have indicated their support and approval of the strengthened bill. The NRA released this tonight:
    Earlier today, NRA-supported “Castle Doctrine” self-defense legislation was favorably amended and reported by the Senate Judiciary II Committee. The full Senate will now consider this important legislation, which could take place as early as tomorrow.

Introduced by state Senators Andrew Brock (R-34), Doug Berger (D-7) and Kathy Harrington (R-43), Senate Bill 34 would codify the “Castle Doctrine” in the home, as well as establish immunity from civil lawsuits for those who use lethal force to defend themselves or their loved ones while in their home. The bill was amended to add automobiles to the Castle Doctrine protections, as well as "Stand Your Ground" language. This greatly expands the legislation to offer more protections for law-abiding citizens who use their firearms for personal protection.

Please contact your state Senator TODAY and respectfully urge him or her to support your right to self-defense and pass Senate Bill 34 when it comes up for a vote.
    From an alert sent out by Grass Roots North Carolina this evening to its members:
    Under guidance from Grass Roots North Carolina, the Senate Judiciary II Committee today passed SB 34: "Castle Doctrine" in a stronger version which could ultimately create the most comprehensive such law in the country.

Thanks to the efforts of Sens. Buck Newton (R-, GRNC ****) and Andrew Brock (R-Davie/Rowan, ****), an amendment was made to the bill to incorporate most of the desirable features of HB 74, plus an added protection against crime in the workplace.

GRNC Legislative Action Team members were heavily involved in improving the language of the bill, drafting and reviewing sections, and providing information to sponsors and committee members.

Speaking on behalf of the bill were Sens. Berger, Clary, Daniel, Newton, and Tucker. Raising questions about the bill were Sens. Dannelly and McKissick. Sen. Berger initially offered an amendment to remove workplaces, but later withdrew the amendment and voted for the bill. SB 34 passed unanimously.

Improvements made to SB 34 include:
    * Presumption of reasonable fear of imminent death or great bodily injury when an attacker makes an unlawful and forcible entry not only of a home, but also a motor vehicle and a workplace. Beyond including the carjacking protection long-sought by GRNC, this may be the first law in the country to include the workplace among protected areas
    * "No duty to retreat" before using deadly force in anyplace the victim has a lawful right to be.
    * Protection against malicious prosecution: Police may not arrest a victim forced to use deadly force unless they have probable cause to believe the use of force was unjustified.
    POSTED BY JOHN RICHARDSON AT 11:14 PM 0 COMMENTS
    LABELS: CASTLE DOCTRINE, GRASS ROOTS NORTH CAROLINA, NRA
    S&W M&P 40

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast