concealed carry at RDU airport - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: concealed carry at RDU airport

Look at it this way, you're not carrying a 'firearm', you're checking bags that contain a TSA legally described and locked gun case. Were they to make a deal of that, it would also make national news, and not in a positive way for RDU

So did that HB63 pass and fix this issue in the end?

4. It was signed into law and becomes effective December 1, 2011.

It extends the castle doctrine to you car, but that doesn't mean you can take it anywhere, i.e. the airport. It does address state owned property, but schools would still be prohibited property. At least, that's my understanding.

All of the CC classes will be updating their course material.

You can read the text here, SL2011-0268

Airports are federal property so treat an airport as you would a court house at CID in Iowa you have to fallow federal transport laws to leave a gun in the car no carry on property allowed

Quote Originally Posted by glockcarry View Post
    Airports are federal property so treat an airport as you would a court house at CID in Iowa you have to fallow federal transport laws to leave a gun in the car no carry on property allowed
    Airports are not federal property. They are generally owned by the city in which they are in. CID is owned by Cedar Rapids.

7. This may address the issue, from HB 63,

14-415.23. Statewide uniformity.
    It is the intent of the General Assembly to prescribe a uniform system for the regulation of legally carrying a concealed handgun. To insure uniformity, no political subdivisions, boards, or agencies of the State nor any county, city, municipality, municipal corporation, town, township, village, nor any department or agency thereof, may enact ordinances, rules, or regulations concerning legally carrying a concealed handgun. A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to permit the posting of a prohibition against carrying a concealed handgun, in accordance with G.S. 14-415.11(c), on local government.buildings and their appurtenant premises.

Two things, the sign on the approach leading to RDU International says "No Firearms", as I recall. It doesn't specifically address Concealed Carry with a valid permit. I think you could carry concealed, with a valid permit into areas of the airport that aren't posted.

For example, one of the greenways in Raleigh I use occasionally is posted against concealed carry and clearly states the statute by which authority it is prohibited.

This blanket ban on firearms wouldn't hold up against a CCH permit, carried legally. It would be worth a phone call to the airport authority asking them how anyone is expected to legally transport a firearm to the flight check-in area, as someone else pointed out. If it doesn't apply in that case, it wouldn't apply to carrying concealed with a proper permit.

Note, the sign on the approach doesn't say, "No Concealed Carry", which only a local government can enact, not a board, which the statute clearly states, it says, "No Firearms". I wouldn't want to find out the hard way how they intend to enforce it, but I also think there is a defense if you were to be charged, which I also don't think would happen once you explain the law to whoever is in charge.

There have been cases of guns being brought to the airport causing a lock down. Don't know if these were legally carried concealed handguns or if the terminal is posted. I know you wouldn't want to try to carry past the concourse checkpoint. Does anyone know if the terminal is posted?

I would be most interested in how that is actually handled.

New to the forum, but I think we missed the bigger picture. Since the airport is under the authority of the FAA and the TSA, I think it is considered "Federal" property. Perhaps the Feds don't want guns at the airports.

10. Quote Originally Posted by carry357 View Post
    New to the forum, but I think we missed the bigger picture. Since the airport is under the authority of the FAA and the TSA, I think it is considered "Federal" property. Perhaps the Feds don't want guns at the airports.
    Completely false. The definition of Federal facility is in 18 USC 930:
    United States Code: Title 18,930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities | LII / Legal Information Institute

(g) As used in this section:
    (1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
    The airport is neither owned nor leased by the Federal government. The Federal prohibition against carrying guns in airports is located in 49 CFR 1540.11 and begins only at the passenger screening point:
    http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...2.10.6&idno=49

1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.
    (a) On an individual's person or accessible property—prohibitions. Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, an individual may not have a weapon, explosive, or incendiary, on or about the individual's person or accessible property—

(1) When performance has begun of the inspection of the individual's person or accessible property before entering a sterile area, or before boarding an aircraft for which screening is conducted under this subchapter;

(2) When the individual is entering or in a sterile area; or

(3) When the individual is attempting to board or onboard an aircraft for which screening is conducted under 1544.201, 1546.201, or 1562.23 of this chapter.
    For example, both open carry and concealed carry are perfectly legal at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport in Washington. I've open carried there picking up a passenger, right in front of TSA and SEATAC police, right up to the exit of the secured area.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

11. Anyone one care to test this at RDU,I am too chicken

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast