concealed carry at RDU airport
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: concealed carry at RDU airport

concealed carry at RDU airport

What are the rules and regulations for that? I looked at their website but could find nothing whatsorever. I have a valid permit and sometimes pick up or drop off people there. I think I saw a "no firearms" sign but is that even allowed by state law?

3. Airport Carry

I don't know NC state law or the airport/municipal regs for that airport.

I do know that there are certain places we might be legally entitled to carry where it's not the smartest move and the weapon becomes a liability. If you're just dropping people off and picking them up, I'd leave the handgun in your vehicle if that's allowed, or leave it elsewhere. Realistically, what's your risk level at the RDU dropoff curb?

Airports get unannounced elevated threat levels all the time. You don't know what the airport police/security get at briefing on any given morning. Training levels of airport police can vary widely, from real pro's to Barney Fife's. You're not likely to get mugged at the airport curb, IMHO.

You may or may not be legally entitled. But personally either way I'd leave it home.

Also, this seems to be a great forum for a lot of things. But I wouldn't come here looking for serious legal advice as to state law...I would start instead with the airport website, the State Police website, and so on. You never know who's answering you here, and a lot of posts doesn't guarantee that the guy isn't an uninformed knowitall, or a bored teenager.

I like Raleigh. Beautiful part of the country.

I like Raleigh, too. What galls me is not so much the fact that RDU has a no firearms sign and I am not so much worried about getting mugged there. What galls me is that I have to drive 25 miles to get there and have to do that without my piece which I have a proper permit for. On those 25 miles no RDU airport cop is at my side in case something happened.

In the days of the old Wild West such restrictions were applied with more common sense. There would have been an attendant at the door where you'd hand over your piece and get it back when leaving. Nowadays just about anybody is allowed to put up a sign and how you are practically able to comply with it nobody cares. Basically the law abiding citizen is $###%$ and the criminals laugh untill they are blue in the face. Signs do not offer any protection whatsorever. Unless you pull them out of the ground and hit somebody over the head with them.

It's true beware the advise of Internet lawyers ... but there are some rather knowledgable people out there that ran into questions before and did get conclusive answers and there's no reason not to take that into consideration.

5. I don't know of any law that would prohibit leaving a firearm secured inside of a vehicle, or concealed on your person with a valid permit.

It's possible there's signs on the approaches that prohibit the possession of firearms on the property, that's their right. Just saying I'm not aware of any such policy, and it seems if there is, then it would be posted on their website as well.

AFAIK, the airport isn't owned by the state, which would preclude the possession of firearms on the property.

You can always call the airport to ask.

We did call and were told to not bring any firearms. But I did not get the impression hat the person answering had any real specific knowledge on the subject to be honest. I think it will be best to call the NC DOJ and get some real accurate information.

(the website does not say a darn thing. You'd think it would given that they put up signs but alas no)

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    What are the rules and regulations for that? I looked at their website but could find nothing whatsorever. I have a valid permit and sometimes pick up or drop off people there. I think I saw a "no firearms" sign but is that even allowed by state law?
    i would just leave in in the car no one should see it there slide in under the seat or in the trunk.
    Jerry

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by jerry12 View Post
    i would just leave in in the car no one should see it there slide in under the seat or in the trunk.
    That is correct but I I am primarily interested in the rules you're supposed to follow at that location.

9. Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    That is correct but I I am primarily interested in the rules you're supposed to follow at that location.
    Have you called to find out? I don't recall seeing "no weapons" signs on the approaches. I know they're not allowed at the gates, since you have to go through screening first, but if the entrances to the terminal aren't posted, you should be allowed to carry at baggage claim.

The law allows you to carry anywhere not posted, with certain exceptions. Airports aren't included in the exceptions, so you can carry there unless posted.

If you find out, please post an update, but we've already established what you want to find out. In fact, I commute out that way, and it wouldn't take 5 minutes to drive to a terminal and look around. Let us know what you find out, and I'll do likewise.

I have called them and they told me to leave my gun at home. There are signs on the approach streets stating that firearms are not allowed on airport property.

Raleigh Durham Airport....Sounds like preemption should come into play. Nothing to prevent you from carrying in any unsecured area.

About RDI

Raleigh-Durham International Airport is governed by the Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority, an eight-member board. The cities of Durham and Raleigh and the counties of Durham and Wake appoint two members each to the Airport Authority board of directors. The Airport Authority is a governmental body responsible for the development, operation and maintenance of the airport.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast