North Carolina Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: North Carolina Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information

Links to NC Firearms Laws.

For your review & use:

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NCSL.pdf

NC Firearm Laws

Grass Roots NC is an excellent resource

If clicking on the above links doesn't work, then copy and paste into Browser.

BGB

North Carolina is NOT a Castle Doctrine state. The General Assembly just had a meeting yesterday about whether or not to bring Castle Doctrine to NC. the proposed bill I saw stated that it would go into affect Dec of 2011

Quote Originally Posted by aosailor View Post
    North Carolina is NOT a Castle Doctrine state. The General Assembly just had a meeting yesterday about whether or not to bring Castle Doctrine to NC. the proposed bill I saw stated that it would go into affect Dec of 2011
    What about this?

GS_14-51.1

14‑51.1. Use of deadly physical force against an intruder.
    (a) A lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence is justified in using any degree of force that the occupant reasonably believes is necessary, including deadly force, against an intruder to prevent a forcible entry into the home or residence or to terminate the intruder's unlawful entry (i) if the occupant reasonably apprehends that the intruder may kill or inflict serious bodily harm to the occupant or others in the home or residence, or (ii) if the occupant reasonably believes that the intruder intends to commit a felony in the home or residence.
    (b) A lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence does not have a duty to retreat from an intruder in the circumstances described in this section.
    (c) This section is not intended to repeal, expand, or limit any other defense that may exist under the common law. (1993 (Reg. Sess., 1994), c. 673, s. 1.)

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    What about this?

GS_14-51.1

14‑51.1. Use of deadly physical force against an intruder.
    (a) A lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence is justified in using any degree of force that the occupant reasonably believes is necessary, including deadly force, against an intruder to prevent a forcible entry into the home or residence or to terminate the intruder's unlawful entry (i) if the occupant reasonably apprehends that the intruder may kill or inflict serious bodily harm to the occupant or others in the home or residence, or (ii) if the occupant reasonably believes that the intruder intends to commit a felony in the home or residence.
    (b) A lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence does not have a duty to retreat from an intruder in the circumstances described in this section.
    (c) This section is not intended to repeal, expand, or limit any other defense that may exist under the common law. (1993 (Reg. Sess., 1994), c. 673, s. 1.)

This is a "stand your ground" clause type of law. The difference between the two is that castle doctrine exempts me from civil law suites. As the law stands, even if my shooting is deemed legal, the family can still sue me for shooting their sweet, innocent, church going boy.

Castle doctrine would protect me from such BS.

6. Quote Originally Posted by aosailor View Post
    This is a "stand your ground" clause type of law. The difference between the two is that castle doctrine exempts me from civil law suites. As the law stands, even if my shooting is deemed legal, the family can still sue me for shooting their sweet, innocent, church going boy.

Castle doctrine would protect me from such BS.

Which explains my post on Page 1.
    My .38's are Special.

7. NC does away with RECIPROCITY requirements...

http://www.ncdoj.gov/About-DOJ/Law-E...-2006-(2).aspx

Scroll down to III C. Concealed Handgun Permit, where it reads (second paragraph):

"North Carolina also allows out-of-state concealed handgun permittees to carry concealed handguns, pursuant to such permits, in North Carolina."

This is HUGE. And I haven't seen it reported elsewhere...NRA, USA Carry, etc. The December 2011 revised North Carolina Firearms Laws does away with the reciprocity requirement that was still in the September 2010 NC Firearms Laws revision.

So, as I read it, after Dec. 1, 2011 I can conceal carry in North Carolina with my Massachusetts CC permit (No restrictions, large capacity) as long as I comply with North Carolina's CC laws.

Whaddya think?

8. The carry laws have changed in North Carolina. The main carry page should be updated with this information.

Although a person may have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, permittees are not
    authorized to carry the permitted weapon anywhere they desire. The weapon may not be carried
    in the following:
    1. Areas prohibited by G.S. 14-277.2 (Picket lines or demonstrations);
    2. Areas prohibited by G.S. 14-269.4 (Certain State properties such as
    courthouses);
    3. Areas prohibited by rules adopted under G.S. 120-32.1 (Legislative
    buildings);
    4. Areas prohibited by 18 USC 922 or any other federal law;
    5. Any law enforcement agency or correctional facility;
    6. Areas housing only State or federal offices;
    7. An office of the State or federal government that is not located in a
    building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government;
    8. Any premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is
    prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice, or statement by the
    person in legal possession or control of the premises; or
    9. School grounds under G.S. 14-269.2, except permittees can secure their
    handguns in their vehicle on school grounds. (Note: Private schools
    reserve the right to prohibit firearms altogether.)
    Permittees are specifically allowed to carry a concealed handgun in the following areas:
    1. Premises where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed unless the
    premises is posted to prohibit the possession or carrying of firearms. Of
    course, the permittee may not consume any alcohol while carrying in this
    area. N.C. Gen. Stat. 14-269.3;
    2. Premises where a fee is charged for admission unless the premises is
    posted to prohibit the possession or carrying of firearms. N.C. Gen. Stat.
    14-269.3; 20
    3. Parades and funerals unless the area is posted to prohibit the possession or
    carrying of firearms. N.C. Gen. Stat. 14-277.2; and
    4. Grounds or waters of a park within the State Parks System as defined in
    G.S. 113-44.9.
    As provided in G.S. 14-269.4(5), it is lawful for any person to carry a firearm openly,
    or to carry a concealed handgun with a concealed carry permit, at any State-owned rest area, at
    any State-owned rest stop along the highways, and at any State-owned hunting and fishing
    reservation. N.C. Gen. Stat. 14-415.11(c).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12