North Carolina Open Carry - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: North Carolina Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    I don't know ... I work in the RTP area and Raleigh in general is pretty liberal ... I think it would be freak out central around here. Mainly I just wanted to say that I myself just have never seen anybody OCing (and I would have seen it) which I find odd considering that there seems to be quite some popularity to it.
    jp1967 There are quite a few aroud the Triangle area that open carry. If you would like to meet us go to
    Triangle Open Carry (Raleigh, NC) - Meetup. We have over 300 members and we have meetups around the triangle area.
    We have a meetup this Saturday at McCalls BBQ and seafood in Clayton at 12:00PM. You can meet 12-20 open carriers and discuss open carry. Go to our website to see other Meetups in the area.

Lannie(Host and Event organizer)
    GRNC volunteer and open carry advocate
    host and Event organizer)

3. I've lived in rural N.C. for more than 25 years, and I've seen 2 people OC, the last was 2 years ago. The most I've OC'ed is probably 3 times.
    My .38's are Special.

Quote Originally Posted by lannie View Post
    jp1967 There are quite a few aroud the Triangle area that open carry. If you would like to meet us go to
    Triangle Open Carry (Raleigh, NC) - Meetup. We have over 300 members and we have meetups around the triangle area.
    We have a meetup this Saturday at McCalls BBQ and seafood in Clayton at 12:00PM. You can meet 12-20 open carriers and discuss open carry. Go to our website to see other Meetups in the area.

Lannie(Host and Event organizer)
    GRNC volunteer and open carry advocate
    host and Event organizer)
    A bit far from me but will keep you all in mind. Just moved in from SC, Charleston area and need to get out and meet some like minded individuals
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

I use to open carry until I got my C.C.W.P. and I went to a convenient store one night it was about 11:30 pm and a wayne county officer looked at me and said you can carry a wepon but the guy working here can not have one. I said that is bs if I worked here I would have to have one on me. That is not right. I am just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by E James View Post
    I use to open carry until I got my C.C.W.P. and I went to a convenient store one night it was about 11:30 pm and a wayne county officer looked at me and said you can carry a wepon but the guy working here can not have one. I said that is bs if I worked here I would have to have one on me. That is not right. I am just saying.

What's a C.C.W.P.? Do you mean a CHP?

Thank you aosailor. Yes CHP is what I ment. :-) I just put it that way. :-)

8. Quote Originally Posted by E James View Post
    I have a CHP but still OC

9. Educating the law... Ok.. I recently pickup up my concealed permit. and when doing so I asked the deputy there in the office about open carry..
    He said, no permitted AT ALL IN NC..

When I said that can't be right as I read the law and spoke to a DA.
    He proceeded to tell me that OC is an arrestable event...

Then I asked about Bank carry as it is now legal..
    HE said NO IT IS NOT.
    I mentioned HB 650 and how it specifically stated it was legal.
    He laughed and said Well that really doesn't matter as I have never seen a bank that does NOT have a no firearms sign.

Well...
    Looks like law enforcement just does not know the law!

RT

Quote Originally Posted by radartech View Post
    Educating the law... Ok.. I recently pickup up my concealed permit. and when doing so I asked the deputy there in the office about open carry..
    He said, no permitted AT ALL IN NC..

When I said that can't be right as I read the law and spoke to a DA.
    He proceeded to tell me that OC is an arrestable event...

Then I asked about Bank carry as it is now legal..
    HE said NO IT IS NOT.
    I mentioned HB 650 and how it specifically stated it was legal.
    He laughed and said Well that really doesn't matter as I have never seen a bank that does NOT have a no firearms sign.

Well...
    Looks like law enforcement just does not know the law!

RT
    Oh heavens, please protect me from such clowns in the business of protecting us! (that is directed to the sherif's deputy that is unaware of the laws)
    Knarren und Zigarren!!!

11. I have checked this out before. OC is legal in NC but full of caveats and is very risky. Statutes do not forbid OC, but NC has a statute about "going armed to the terror of the people". That is so vague that it can be used in nearly any situation. Example: Walk down the street doing OC, minding your own business, bothering no one. No one complains, all is well. A bedwetter happens by and sees your weapon, screams out "he's got a gun!" and starts a panic. Guess who gets arrested and charged? That 1 person's overreaction defines you as "armed to the terror of the people". At the least, if you OC, prepare to be stopped & questioned in most areas.

The few times I have seen OC in NC were isolated circumstances. I used to see a few people OC while fishing at a lake or river, probably loaded with snake shot. I have seen a few store owners or gas station clerks OC every now and then. A store owner in Durham always has his .357 on his hip. A person on his own premises is much less likely to be bothered, as others can use his services or not, their choice. I saw one guy in a book store, carrying on his hip & not wearing any uniform, badge or police T shirt. He looked like he could easily be police or military but not identified.

I only OC'd one time. I worked a job in a BAD neighborhood after a major theft at the property. I was alone much of the time & this was a place where people come up to bum money frequently. I had property owner's permission & stayed on the property, barely ventured on the street at all. I carried crossdraw, where it was not obvious to casual passersby but obvious to someone approaching me. A neighbor there came over to ask about work & was not disturbed at sight of my weapon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast