If I have a general Discharge am I DQ'ed from getting a CCP?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If I have a general Discharge am I DQ'ed from getting a CCP?

1. If I have a general Discharge am I DQ'ed from getting a CCP?

I received a general discharge from the Army in 1989 (I was young and stupid). Am I disqualified from receiving a concealed carry permit in NC? I have gotten pistol purchase permits with no issues.

http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299...-gun-Laws.aspx

Page 16:
    The sheriff must deny the permit if certain prohibitions exist. The application must be denied if the applicant:
    6. Has been discharged from the U.S. armed forces under conditions other than honorable;
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Depends on which kind of administrative General Discharge you were issued. Did you get General (Under Honorable Conditions) or Other than Honorable (OTH)?

Hard question. You will need to ask your local state police.

If for them "other than honorable" means "other than" honorable then that would be bad news.

My discharge says "honorable discharge" and it came with a letter saying "thank you for your faithful service".

It took 6 years to get it.

The DD214 says nothing of course.

Your DD-214 will show what kind of discharge you got. That includes Separation information (type of separation, character of service, authority and reason for separation, separation and reenlistment eligibility codes). That's the only official documentation that matters. Fancy certificates are for your "I-Love-Me" wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Reba View Post
    Your DD-214 will show what kind of discharge you got. That includes Separation information (type of separation, character of service, authority and reason for separation, separation and reenlistment eligibility codes). That's the only official documentation that matters. Fancy certificates are for your "I-Love-Me" wall.
    Officers do not get discharges upon separation. So my DD214 says nothing on it about that.

My only proof of honorable discharge is my I-Love-Me certificate and the transmittal letter that came with it.

Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    Officers do not get discharges upon separation. So my DD214 says nothing on it about that.

My only proof of honorable discharge is my I-Love-Me certificate and the transmittal letter that came with it.
    For the OP it's the DD-214.

Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    Hard question. You will need to ask your local state police.

If for them "other than honorable" means "other than" honorable then that would be bad news.

My discharge says "honorable discharge" and it came with a letter saying "thank you for your faithful service".

It took 6 years to get it.

The DD214 says nothing of course.
    You should really keep your pie hole shut when you don't have a clue about a states law. The "state police" doesn't have a damn thing to do with permits in NC. Actually we don't have any agency called "state police". We do have the NC Highway Patrol, and the SBI.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

10. At least in my home state of PA I know some with carry licenses and general discharges

WeissMaus,
    As usual, the trolls took off with your thread with little to no information and you have supplies little to none. So why not answer the questions posed? What was the real story of why you were given a general discharge under conditions other than honorable. You will never get an answer without the truth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast