Out of State CHL - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Out of State CHL

1. Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaJohn View Post
    From what I am finding out, it is perfectly legal to obtain an out of State CHL and have it be valid in NC. So the question is, since it is so much easier to apply for and obtain an Out of State CHL, why bother getting the North Carolina Licence? After all, they make it difficult to obtain and the wait is ungodly.

Any input?
    I am not an LEO but I will say this -- I moved from Tennessee and had a permit from Tennessee which is valid in NC but you cannot purchase using it. You must get a purchase permit to purchase a handgun unless you have a NC carry permit. So I took the class and filed for my carry permit. It took 60 days start to finish. Now I can purchase anytime I want where ever I want without getting a permit each time I want to purchase a handgun. By law they must issue within 90 days max or tell you in writing why you have not been issued a permit. That is not "ungodly" just take the class and follow the instructions and in less then 90 days you will have your permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc and his Glock View Post
    I am not an LEO but I will say this -- I moved from Tennessee and had a permit from Tennessee which is valid in NC but you cannot purchase using it. You must get a purchase permit to purchase a handgun unless you have a NC carry permit. So I took the class and filed for my carry permit. It took 60 days start to finish. Now I can purchase anytime I want where ever I want without getting a permit each time I want to purchase a handgun. By law they must issue within 90 days max or tell you in writing why you have not been issued a permit. That is not "ungodly" just take the class and follow the instructions and in less then 90 days you will have your permit.
    No matter. I have now obtained the CHL here in NC. Working with several people now to hopefully change some of the anti-self defense laws in this state!
    You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. Remember -- all I am offering is the truth, nothing more.

This is why I just went ahead and applied for my FL non-res instead of dealing with NC's crap, which is made even worse by them getting my chain of command involved.
    It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaJohn View Post
    From what I am finding out, it is perfectly legal to obtain an out of State CHL and have it be valid in NC. So the question is, since it is so much easier to apply for and obtain an Out of State CHL, why bother getting the North Carolina Licence? After all, they make it difficult to obtain and the wait is ungodly.

Any input?
    No shortage from me.
    • NICS check exemption
    • Permit to purchase exemption.
    • One of the better States with reciprocity and recognition; reciprocity with SC and WV.
    • Civil liability. You have no civil suit immunity whatosever in NC. A good PI or WD attorney could use the argument you bypassed the NC CHP training requirement and not qualified to carry in NC as a NC resident. Given your castle doctrine with full civil suit immunity did not pass, it would not surprise me if there were no shortage of NC State Bar members that would take on such lawsuits. They probably were the ones that lobbied to have the bill die.
    • The law could change were NC residents are required to get a NC CHP at the drop of a hat. Not only did it happen in CO, they also passed a residency requirement in CO so non-resident CCWs are no longer honored there.
    • Not all NC LEOs being aware of your CHP statute pertaining to recognition and reciprocity. It would not surprise me if this was in the counties where the Sheriff takes the full 90 days to issue.

Conventional wisdom is get your (declared) State of residency first, if possible then any additional States you may need. If you travel, NH and UT would be the best choices for broad spectrum backup coverage for your money. Only get CT or ME if you perceive a need for them. If you live in a shall issue State with a NICS exemption and very good to excellent recognition or reciprocity, only carry on an out of State CCW if there's an issue with your residential CCW (i.e. sheriff taking too long to issue, you had a bout cerebral flatulence and let it expire).
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

6. Quote Originally Posted by Teufel View Post
    This is why I just went ahead and applied for my FL non-res instead of dealing with NC's crap, which is made even worse by them getting my chain of command involved.
    How in the world did your chain of command come into play??? They have nothing to do with getting a CCL..

Quote Originally Posted by Doc and his Glock View Post
    How in the world did your chain of command come into play??? They have nothing to do with getting a CCL..
    Sadly they do.

You're "not supposed" to have one if you reside in the barracks, also you have to get records checks from PMO and obtain an authorization letter from your commanding officer.

There are ways around it all of course.
    It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!-Emiliano Zapata

Not Supposed To Have One?

What I think they meant was that you are not allowed to have a personal firearm in the barracks. Now, depending on the post/base policy, soldiers may have the option of storing the firearm off post or in the company arms room. I know back in '92, that's 1992, I had a CCW in the state of Washington. Fort Lewis allowed me to store the firearm off post, even as I was a single soldier living in the barracks. While I was at Hood (TX), 2001-2004, I was married living off post. I had the option of storing my firearms in the Arms Room or in my residence off post. However, I do feel that there is a double standard in regards to soldiers that live in the barracks and those that live in government quarters on post. Soldiers that live in the barracks have to store their personal firearms in the Arms Room whereas those not living in the barracks have the option of storing them in their quarters. What is the justification in this? I don't know. Perhaps those living in the barracks are irresponsible. No, I don't agree with that. I do agree with the chain getting involved though. After all, who knows the individual best? Law abiders with guns don't bother me. It's the idiots and criminals with guns, that bothers me!

deleted

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaJohn View Post
    The unfortunate thing is that I cannot get ANYONE from the DOJ or Attorney General's office to respond to my direct questions. The guy that taught the NC CHL class feels that, after scrutiny, it appears that I may carry in North Carolina on my Ohio License as well as the PA and New Hampshire License that I possess as there is nothing that clearly states that I must be a resident of the reciprocal state.

I just do not desire to become a test case.

Like I have said numerous times, nothing gets done fast here, even answering emails.

Hi John.
    I have had the same question regarding my VA non-resident permit. After writing the NC AG I did get a response from the NC DOJ. They enclosed a full copy of the reciprocity agreement and state that "As you can see from the attatched agreement and correspondence from the Virginia State Police, it is the desire of Virginia that a non-resident Virginia permit be recognized in North Carolina.--Jouh J. Aldridge III, Asst. AG, law enforcement liason section

Also enclosed from the NC DOJ is a letter from the Virginia State Police which states in part, "As you may be aware Virgina, through the Department of State Police, issues non-resident concealed carry permits. It is our desire that, to the extent permitted by North Carolina law, those permits also be granted the same reciprocity that is provided for resident permits."--W. Steven Flaherty, Virginia State Police, letter to John Aldridge, Special deputy NC AG.

If you would like a copy of these documents for your personal records please PM me. I intend to carry a copy of both in my wallet for so when I run into the cop who declares my VA non-res permit is not valid in NC.
    Last edited by NCjones; 10-27-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: typos

There is one advantage for the local permit which is it will keep you away from any issues with the infamous GUN FREE SCHOOL ZONE ACT. While that's a whole new can of worms I thought I'd mention it. Nobody has been prosecuted yet for just driving past a school within 1,000 ft which a valid out of state permit but according to the LETTERS if not the SPIRIT of the law you could be hassled.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12