CCW endorsement on NCDL
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: CCW endorsement on NCDL

  1. #1

    CCW endorsement on NCDL

    Has there been any discussion about approaching our elected officials about having our CCW permit issued as an indorsement on NC drivers license?

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Moore County, NC
    Posts
    343
    I'm not sure that it would be plausible for the fact that the DMV is not in charge of CCWs.
    I'm also not sure I want the DMV having anything to do with CCWs.

    Reap the Vision...
    ...Mike

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Green Valley (Henderson) NV
    Posts
    853
    That's how they do it in MO so yes it can be done. The issue with that would be privacy, any time you have to show your DL they would see the CCW endorsement. MO has gotten around that by issuing a separate ID card with the CCW endorsement to those who request it.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Moore County, NC
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    That's how they do it in MO so yes it can be done. The issue with that would be privacy, any time you have to show your DL they would see the CCW endorsement. MO has gotten around that by issuing a separate ID card with the CCW endorsement to those who request it.

    Interesting... It is as if the state is actually helping its resident CCW. How revolutionary!

    Reap the Vision...
    ...Mike

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC USA
    Posts
    108
    I'm not sure I see the reason. You already have a CCW card. An anytime a cop runs your license tag in NC he gets a check of the pistols database so he knows you have a permit to carry.

  7. #6

    CCW endorsement on NCDL

    Thanks NCjones for the question.

    My thoughts were 2 fold. First it would eliminate the need to show two pieces of ID. Second, it would be one less thing to carry in the wallet. One common form of ID, just like the CAC.

    It could be done just as NC CCW Permit #, on your licences, add "NC" after your license number. For example, 1234567NC.
    However, the logistics involved could be horrendous.

    Thanks again.
    cwoods

    Quote Originally Posted by NCjones View Post
    I'm not sure I see the reason. You already have a CCW card. An anytime a cop runs your license tag in NC he gets a check of the pistols database so he knows you have a permit to carry.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Moore County, NC
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by cwoods View Post
    Thanks NCjones for the question.

    My thoughts were 2 fold. First it would eliminate the need to show two pieces of ID. Second, it would be one less thing to carry in the wallet. One common form of ID, just like the CAC.

    It could be done just as NC CCW Permit #, on your licences, add "NC" after your license number. For example, 1234567NC.
    However, the logistics involved could be horrendous.

    Thanks again.
    cwoods


    While it is not a problem to me, some folks with CC have issues with others knowing they have a CC, and thus every time they show their ID they would be disclosing their CCWP.

    Reap the Vision...
    ...Mike

  9. #8

    CCW endorsement on NCDL

    Quote Originally Posted by mbass View Post
    While it is not a problem to me, some folks with CC have issues with others knowing they have a CC, and thus every time they show their ID they would be disclosing their CCWP.
    While I see your point. However, unless you know what to look for, to most people asking for ID would not know the difference.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Moore County, NC
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by cwoods View Post
    While I see your point. However, unless you know what to look for, to most people asking for ID would not know the difference.
    True...

    Reap the Vision...
    ...Mike

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eastern North Carolina
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by cwoods View Post
    While I see your point. However, unless you know what to look for, to most people asking for ID would not know the difference.
    The other issue would be dealing with LEOs in recirocal states. Unless the notation on your DL clearly indicated that you had a CCW permit, you might have difficulty establshing that during an out-of-state traffic stop.

    I know that LEOs in other states often don't know that the "M" in my DL indicates that i have a motorcycle endorsement.

    bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast