Collecting money for charity and packing a gun... - Page 2

View Poll Results: Packing a weapon/gun while collecting charity money:

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • You think it is okay to pack a gun collecting charity money.

33 82.50%
  • Against packing a gun collecting charity money.

1 2.50%
  • Don't care if they do or don't.

6 15.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Collecting money for charity and packing a gun...

Quote Originally Posted by smcnally View Post
    It sounds to me like you don't care about hte 2nd amendment at all. You only care about what fits YOUR purpose.
    Yes, I am sure the $1,000 I spent on NRA Life Membership is because when I was making $6 an hour and money was really tight, that I didn't give a damn about the 2A at all. Even bought my wife at the time an NRA Life Membership. I must have been pretty stupid, doing that, eh? And YOU are a NRA Life Member too, right?
    IF you don't have all the money now, you can buy a membership on payments.

You also seem extremely narrow minded. Don't ignore the fact that you'vce just been very lucky your whole life that nothing bad has happened to you. Bad things happen to good people all the time and to ignore that fact is ignorant.
    Wow, I have had loaded guns pointed at my head TWICE, touching me, not from 500 feet away... and you call me "very lucky your whole life that nothing bad has happened to you."
    You have some weird ideas about "lucky". What do you call "UNlucky"?

Also, don't ignore the fact that your thoughts on this matter are the same thoughts that will eventually ban guns all together...even for people like you that only like to carry and use them when they see fit.
    I would think that most people who are carrying a gun are people who "like" to carry them and do so "when they see fit."

And, you have NO idea whether I pack a gun or not, or when I pack one either. Well, unless you are psychic I suppose.

I found the survey needed to allow multiple answers as I think it's ok and frankly I don't care if you do or don't.
    Good Luck!!!
    John
    http://www.packing4life.com

Quote Originally Posted by astute View Post
    I found the survey needed to allow multiple answers as I think it's ok and frankly I don't care if you do or don't.
    +1, Around here, Red Kettles are favorate targets.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Vet View Post

Works for guns just fine, Debi.
    You got that right!

6. Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Vet View Post
    Yes, I am sure the $1,000 I spent on NRA Life Membership is because when I was making $6 an hour and money was really tight, that I didn't give a damn about the 2A at all. Even bought my wife at the time an NRA Life Membership. I must have been pretty stupid, doing that, eh? And YOU are a NRA Life Member too, right?
    IF you don't have all the money now, you can buy a membership on payments.
    What exactly makes you assume I'm not an NRA member? The fact that you are a lifetime member means nothing about your thoughts of the 2nd amendment. If you believed fully in the 2nd amendment then this thread wouldn't even exist. The right to bear arms means just that...not the right to bear arms, except when I think you shouldn't need to. Whether or not you permit your employees to carry while on the job is your decision. I have no idea what your company does, so I really can't comment on that. But, to say that someone collecting money for a charity should not be carrying a firearm or knife for protection is silly. That is you putting your beliefs above everyone elses.

Wow, I have had loaded guns pointed at my head TWICE, touching me, not from 500 feet away... and you call me "very lucky your whole life that nothing bad has happened to you."
    You have some weird ideas about "lucky". What do you call "UNlucky"?
    And after that you think that people shouldn't be able to carry where they want, when they want? You don't find that as a hypocritical thing to say?

I would think that most people who are carrying a gun are people who "like" to carry them and do so "when they see fit."
    The difference is that most people that carry a gun where they see fit don't tell others that they shouldn't carry a gun where they don't see fit.

And, you have NO idea whether I pack a gun or not, or when I pack one either. Well, unless you are psychic I suppose.
    The difference between you and I is that I don't care where you carry a gun. In my opinion, you can carry it wherever you want as long as you are following the laws. I don't feel that I know what is better for others. Do what you wish.

With few exceptions I believe it is alright to carry concealed whenever someone legally able to do so wishes.

I think that there is no difference packing and collecting money for charity than packing at any other time. I am not a clairvoyant so can not see the future therefore I choose to pack at all times rather than second guess when my life might be on the line.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

PLUS: If you add everything up and divide it down the middle, you have half above and half below.

IQ's too. That means that instantly, HALF of the people packing guns are BELOW average IQ. Not a good thought. Are those people smart enough to make the CORRECT decision when it is decision time? IF they have a LOT of common sense, they MAY make the correct decision... MAY.
    This may be true, but you are using very primitive logic. You cannot assume that the population of people who are licensed to carry concealed weapons has the same IQ as the general public. Like I said, this may be true, but not all qualities of the general public apply to the population of CCW licensed individuals. If this were true, you could say that the distribution of the number of violent crimes committed by CCW individuals was the same as the general public. We all know that this is NOT true. I would think that it takes above average IQ to go through the steps necessary to get a CCW license, but maybe others disagree. I also bet there are very few, if any, mentally handicapped people who are legally carrying, thus removing that group of people from the CCW distribution.

Anyway, to throw my 2 cents in. . . If I were collecting charity money in a Santa Outfit I would be carrying. No one would ever see the weapon, and if the news got out I was legally carrying a firearm I would offer them a choice. Either I spend my free time VOLUNTEERING to help you with a legally carried weapon, or I sit at home enjoying time with my family. Your choice. . .

Steve
    Last edited by srshadwi; 12-20-2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: punctuation

I tried. I really did.

I tried. I really did. Yes, I did. Tried what? Tried to make people THINK.

Didn't work. Sort of a "I've got a permit, piss on the world and what they think."

About what I expected. WHAT was I HOPING for?

I was waiting for SEVERAL if not MORE of the posters to say:

"I called the Salvation Army and ASKED them if it were okay to pack a gun if I could legally to that AND they said .... yada yada yada..."

But, NO, not one person did as far as I can tell. I DID. SEVERAL of them. Local and National.

Some of the answers I received... one woman even went so far as to say:"We do background checks on ALL of our bell ringers, even volunteers, AND if they had EVER had a problem with VIOLENCE, then NO, they could NOT ring bells for the Salvation Army since only violent people pack guns."

THEN, I explained to her that to get a permit you could NOT have any violence on your record, you had to be clean as new snow.

She did NOT have a clue. So, I talked to her BOSS, he has a permit but doesn't pack while ringing. Talked to him quite a bit. Then talked to the regional director, a Major. He started asking "all these questions..." and I told him, whoa, slow down. And explained the facts to him.

ANOTHER person withOUT a clue.

I guess they are just a typical bunch of "hate guns" type of people.

Done.

I really wished a few of you would have called and posted that here instead of everyone doing the old "If I have a permit, the hell with them." answers.

Hey, have a Merry Christmas or whatever you normally do today, on the 24th of December. The best to you and yours.

11. The question you asked is whether or not we think it is alright for someone to carry while collecting money for a charity, not whether or not they permitted to. If the Salvation Army doesn't permit it then what is the purpose of calling them? You have been an NRA member for close to 25 years and you don't permit your employees to carry at work, so how would we make them understand?

Merry Christmas to you too and get well soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast