Are YOU curious? I am. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are YOU curious? I am.

It's just a privacy thing.You really can't "hide" on the Internet. if the guvmint is after you, they are gonna find you whether you use your real name or a screen name.

For instance when I was at Ft. Hood, I was in a laundromat and some black guy walks up and says "Hey Tony, you want to buy some chains". He had a wad of (probably stolen) gold chains on his arm. It was alarming because I had no clue how this stranger knew my name. After talking a few minutes he told me it was in silver letters on the back on my western-style belt (duh). I never wore that belt again.

It's not that I'm doing anything wrong, or trying to hide, it's just that we are all basically strangers to each other here.
    (and that episode of "America's Most Wanted" might air again)

In the beginning, the patriot is a scarce man -- brave, hated, and scorned. But when his cause succeeds, the timid join him. For then, it costs nothing to be a patriot. -- Mark Twain

My username is my name; and it's states my political position.

I'll go you one better. I've been extremely outspoken about my US House Rep. I've sent "signed" letters to the paper that have been published. YES, it has created a little heat from the IRS and others. BUT! It is "STILL" a free country.

I have NOT threatened anyone; nor done anything illegal. But, I will try and deter as many people as possible from letting this guy and others like him stay in office.

I think that people are entitled to their privacy. If some one does not want to use their name on a public forum, then they shouldn't. They should not be forced to either.

I am on another board when this very question was asked. A member on the the board told them it was for all of the aboved mentioned reasons. The OP told him that he was "paranoid." The OP then made a bet of 50 dollars that the poster would never be able to find him.

Long story short, within ten minutes the poster had the OP's home address, work address, as well as other sensitive information (like the location of his guns). Nobody is safe nowadays when it comes to cyber crime.

I'm not assuming in the least that it's about us being afraid or ashamed. I agree that privacy is the rule of thumb on this forum. Besides, I think my screen name is fun. Others' opinions may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Fat fingers and a feeble mind lead to lots of new words.
    Mine are fat AND short. Makes it hard to type because I have to life my hands all the time to reach the upper keys. :( Too late in life to grow them longer either. In fact, that isn't all that is short. I am 5'11" and only wear size 9˝ shoes. One of the guys who used to work at DAP wore 14's. Real ski's, those were.

BUT!! I DO have a BIG nose! LOL Crooked too. Put a blanket over older brothers head when I was 10 and his elbow or knee caught me. Blood everywhere and a crooked nose for 52 years. All in fun, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    I'm not assuming in the least that it's about us being afraid or ashamed. I agree that privacy is the rule of thumb on this forum. Besides, I think my screen name is fun. Others' opinions may vary.

Does the gd stand for grimy dirty? LOL I'll bet you thought it meant goodcleanfun! LOL But I'll bet that is wrong. What does it stand for Debi?

Quote Originally Posted by Springer M-14 View Post
    Long story short, within ten minutes the poster had the OP's home address, work address, as well as other sensitive information (like the location of his guns). Nobody is safe nowadays when it comes to cyber crime.
    Yes, it doesn't matter if you use a fake name or not, pretty easy to find out who you are and where you work.
    Locations of his guns, they were looking at what to get that kind of info?

That would be pretty exacting info, for example; in the back west bedroom on the east wall is a 32x42x72 Fort Knox safe, red in color with an electronic lock, combination of: 379516*, bolted to the wall with 5/8" bolts and through the floor with 3/4" bolts and wired to the alarm and contains a 1957 Daisy BB gun with two tubes of BBs and nothing else or something like that.

Who would even have such info?

Did the guy say the other guy had all the CORRECT info? Street address's etc are pretty easy, but where the guns are in the house? Hummm.

Not using my real name here is more to guard from the folks who are not members. I don't need someone who may know me or thinks they know me, causing any trouble. Perhaps the person is an anti-gun nut looking to try and provoke an incident to get someone with a license put on the spot and perhaps cause their permit to be pulled.

I know it’s a far fetched scenario and sounds like conspiracy theory, but who needs the hassle. Too many people with strange intentions trolling the internet looking for a higher life purpose like the anti-abortion wackos who bomb abortion clinics (killing or injuring people for the cause of preserving life… Explain that one to God on judgment day)… Anyway I’ll keep it private.

I respect the choice for you to post your name. It’s choice. The building block of freedom…
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Vet View Post
    Does the gd stand for grimy dirty? LOL I'll bet you thought it meant goodcleanfun! LOL But I'll bet that is wrong. What does it stand for Debi?
    "GD" is somtimes used in place of a very unholy two word expression. What's the point in this thread other than Ken Chevy lashing out on the world?

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    I respect the choice for you to post your name. It’s choice. The building block of freedom…
    Yeah, you Google my name and the 1st page is pretty well all about me and my websites and forums I am a member of.

In this case, it IS all about GUNS. You use your REAL NAME on a photography board/forum and no one thinks anything of it.

BUT, on gun or abortion boards/forums you will NOT find many REAL NAMES.

WHY can you use your real name on a photography or quilting or painting or on and on and on, board/forum but NOT on a gun or abortion board/fourm?

REAL NAME on facebook, linkedin and such sites as that. NOT on a gun site. WHY? Gun sites attract crazies? Is that it?

I DO know people on this site who are using a fake name but on other sites use their real name. WHY?

It HAS to be the type of people involved. That is the only thing different.
    Isn't it?

Yes, I agree, it is up to the person whether they are afraid to use their real name or not. It may be they are afraid of getting lots of spam e-mail, it may be for other reasons. Their choice.

I was just curious of some of the reasons. It is not named at anyone in particular.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast