Anyone Tried Google BUZZ yet. What if SHTF could it help? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Tried Google BUZZ yet. What if SHTF could it help?

1. Wouldn't the post office still work in a SHTF scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_I_Am View Post
    Wouldn't the post office still work in a SHTF scenario?
    Sounds like a plot for a movie. No wait, that was done. Forgot the title but the guy was simply wearing a USPS jacket. The surviving towns people were portrayed as totally helpless until the Hero / Government arrived wearing a jacket. It was now up to him to protect them from the other survivors with guns. Typical Clinton era Hollywood disaster movie. Gun owners bad - Government Good!

Did they work after Katrina? The houses were gone, the people in the houses were scattered in 4 states.
    I'll bet they still have the mail somewhere......

Quote Originally Posted by golocx4 View Post

What if we all started building a GMail Address
    Then we could all be hacked like I was by China.
    There's gotta be a better way than email, than cell phones.

If every pro-Second Amendment gun owner had a structured g-mail account.
    The secret would be a uniformly structured email prefix.

What if we all started building a GMail Address - that with a structured prefix allows you to find other like minded people near you.
    The first part must be uniform and the second part can be unique.
    Example:
    [email protected]

You can use your name or Forum Name or what ever you want.
    Example - [email protected] or [email protected]

The important thing is that everyone begins with pro2a.
    Lets say that you are at a your kids hockey game for instance, and there are 20 people nearby that are using BUZZ. 5 of those people show pro2a._________. You can instantly connect with them, join and follow, and you have just made 5 new pro-Second Amendment friends.

"Hey, lets meet at the Hot Dog Stand during the 2nd period break and introduce ourselves."

Now I know that in some parts of the country Hockey is alien, but you get the idea.

I'm only thinking out loud here. Sure there are pros and cons of the idea but think about it for a second.
    Discuss the pros and cons and we may even reach a consensus. Of course the consensus may be to do nothing and leave things the way they are.

NOTE: the pro2a. thing is just and example for discussion purposes. It could be anything as long as it is uniform. Then we all go to other forums and spread the word, or is this to underground?
    May or may not help in SHTF, but what about elections and rallies etc. There are possibilities here.
    Again just thinking.

"just because your paranoid, it doesn't mean you are not being watched"
    Or you could start it with USAC.yourname.com but that is my two cents worth
    A good friend will sit next to you in jail and say damn we had fun

Google has apologized for the the security SNAFU and they're working on a bunch of changes. It could come in handy for trying to rendezvous with people in an emergency situation. You could check Buzz to see who had or hadn't checked in at the assembly point.

Here's the apology story:

BBC News - Google admits Buzz social network testing flaws
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

7. Quote Originally Posted by golocx4 View Post
    Sounds like a plot for a movie. No wait, that was done. Forgot the title but the guy was simply wearing a USPS jacket. The surviving towns people were portrayed as totally helpless until the Hero / Government arrived wearing a jacket. It was now up to him to protect them from the other survivors with guns. Typical Clinton era Hollywood disaster movie. Gun owners bad - Government Good!

Did they work after Katrina? The houses were gone, the people in the houses were scattered in 4 states.
    I'll bet they still have the mail somewhere......

What I was getting at is most people don't realize that we still have general delivery. For instance assuming the post office was not destroyed, I could address a letter to Joe Doe, General Delivery, anytown, NC 12345 and they would just have to walk into the post office and pick it up. That would work if you were "on the move" and didn't have a street address, maybe not the best option if you were "wanted" as you might be walking into a trap.

My dad travels a lot all over the U.S. and I can use GD to send him mail if he tells me what city he will be in in a day or so. i just address it to him general delivery and he goes to the post office and shows an ID and picks it up.

Maybe not "instant communication" like a cell phone, but if nothing else works, a message that takes a couple days to get there is better than no message at all.

to connect with some likeminded people i'd take the chance most of us are probably allresdy on a list just for being on sites like this
    molon labe

I turned mine off...husband and son are both in face book. I wish I have time to really sit down and chat, but I don't. I'd rather play with my dog in my off-times...

"Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Question

As long as the power is up and cell towers are operating it could be great in SHTF situations.
    If you had a group set up with your family members you could know where they were and have instant
    contact as well as leave messages for them.

With Google Buzz on a phone, you don't need Gmail. You can see the tweets of people whether you're
    following them or not. In the "Nearby" mode, you're automatically "following" whoever happens to be or
    has been near wherever it is you are.

If you were at a large event and you were following other members of a group such as a forum or other
    pro gun groups, you would be able to see that there are 40 other members of this forum nearby.

In a SHTF situation, as long as the cell phones are working, imaging the possibilities.
    Hopefully you and all your family members have a plan and meet points.
    So instead of sparypainting instructions on the side of your house. You send one message out to all
    stating you are ok and that the new meet point is ________.

I have to admit, I never really got the Facebook and twitter thing. My kids use it all the time and I
    just can't figure out why you would want to make your life an open book. I mean just because you are
    paranoid it doesn't mean you are not being watched. LOL

Could it be abused? OH Yeah!
    Could it be helpful in a SHTF senerio? Some, not all.
    Electromagnetic Pulse - forget it. We are all back to the 1800's. Those with horses win.
    Power Grid Failure - as long as phones and cell towers are up.

Has anyone tried this yet, what are the possibilities for like minded people using this to identify
    other like minded people. ie other forum members nearby, NRA members nearby, other CCW's nearby etc.
    i just wish i knew what you were talking about
    molon labe

tried it for a week, removed it it was causing problems with my gmail add ons in firefox.
    Roy
    Dacono CO
    CCW, Ruger LCR, Winchester 94, S&W 686-3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast