Web People amaze me.. WTF???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Web People amaze me.. WTF???

Question Web People amaze me.. WTF???

I'm not the most technical, but I'm not stuck in the 80's either..

I came across this website.. Why would ANYONE us it??? WTF??

Best as I can tell, it informs the website when you are NOT home and provides your address... WTF??

What am I missing here??

Please Rob Me . com

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Lots of potential for bad using the site. Seems more of a parody site more than anything.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

4. It's not a parody and people aren't posting on it. The site is pointing out how stupid people are when they announce online that they are not home. They are aggrigrating "tweets" from Twitter whenever somebody mentions they are not home. They are getting a lot of press which I believe what they want. I think they are trying to make people understand how unsafe it can be.

Quote Originally Posted by smcnally View Post
    It's not a parody and people aren't posting on it. The site is pointing out how stupid people are when they announce online that they are not home. They are aggrigrating "tweets" from Twitter whenever somebody mentions they are not home. They are getting a lot of press which I believe what they want. I think they are trying to make people understand how unsafe it can be.
    OK.. So.. How do they get peoples addresses???
    Sorry - not a big twitter fan.. I really don't want to know if R. Lee Ermey is taking a dump or not..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

6. Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    OK.. So.. How do they get peoples addresses???
    Sorry - not a big twitter fan.. I really don't want to know if R. Lee Ermey is taking a dump or not..
    The address being shown is actually the address of where the person was when they "tweeted". When you tweet from a mobile phone you can actually have it set to sent the gps coordinates of where you tweeted from.

7. From the site:

The danger is publicly telling people where you are. This is because it leaves one place you're definitely not... home. So here we are; on one end we're leaving lights on when we're going on a holiday, and on the other we're telling everybody on the internet we're not home. It gets even worse if you have "friends" who want to colonize your house. That means they have to enter your address, to tell everyone where they are. Your address.. on the internet.. Now you know what to do when people reach for their phone as soon as they enter your home. That's right, slap them across the face.

The goal of this website is to raise some awareness on this issue and have people think about how they use services like Foursquare, Brightkite, Google Buzz etc. Because all this site is, is a dressed up Twitter search page. Everybody can get this information

Actually it looks like it was to prove a point to using services that are location aware like twitter. It can show when people are out of town or not home, because they are actively "tweeting" and thus posting that they are ripe to be robbed.

This article should explain better:

I Twitter, therefore please rob me | IT PRO

I guess if you were trying to pull off an insurance scam it would make sense.

There are so many useless things brought to us by advancements in technology...

Twitter is like telling your boss that you have to use the bathroom every time you need to go. Who cares where you are and what color the sky is in your world. Keep that little nugget under wraps... Some Sh!t the rest of us don't need to know.

Now that my rant is over.. Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

This is just another reason why you should be careful about the information you put online.
    Today it's about being a victim of burglary. Tomorrow it's about being convicted of some random crime that the government decided was illegal.

Right now businesses claim that 20% of applicants are denied jobs because of the content found on their facebook and myspace pages. It only gets worse from here.

I am not home right now but my three huge Rottweilers are. So is my husband who is ready with a Mossberg 500 just in case you ever touch a hair off our dogs!!!

Now how about that???
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast