I hate guns - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate guns

Good job. Always good to here of another convert.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Good on ya, mate!

Good work Iceman... Hate is often synonyms with ignorance... Education replaces ignorance and dispels hatred.
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Lightbulb Tools lack motivation of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    In the past I've used the "TOOL" angle to convert some. A firearm is merely a tool. If handled properly, a safe and fun tool. It's just another a tool in ones tool box of life skills to be utilized as one deems necessary. Some have grasped the idea, some just walk away shaking their heads.
    My favorite introduction for antigunners consists of the following:

First, after "safing" a pistol and going over the basics of gun safety, I let the anti handle the firearm, ask questions, and simply get used to the sensation. I then explain how the handgun is simply a tool, just like the hammer that I placed there earlier. I ask if, upon entering the room, the person got nervous at the sight of a hammer on the kitchen table. Their answer has always been "No."

I explain that, like a hammer, a firearm is simply a tool, and completely lacking of volition or independent action, evil or otherwise.

I then pick up the hammer, walk to the far side of the room, and dim the lights. I face my guest, plant a dark scowl across my face, and ask them to imagine me as an intruder in their home. I stress that the tool in hand, the formerly innocuous hammer, could easily be misused to cause them great bodily harm. I then direct them to pick up the handgun, and imagine it loaded and ready for use in just such an occasion.

It is a beautiful thing to see the "lights turn on" in their eyes with the realization that holding a gun didn't turn them into a homicidal maniac, but did give them a strength previously unknown when confronted by a crazy dude with a hammer.

My little spiel has resulted in many trips to the range to further understand my point. Thus far, it has been amazingly effective!
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Good Job man!

Great job! I just think it is interesting that the word hate was used for something that she had no real knowledge of. (Ignorance). Maybe like when they use the word hate in talking about the Tea Party, Conservatives, Or insert any ethnicity. No knowledge or experience =ignorance and gives way to using the word hate. Yep mostly from anti gunners (ignorant) and quite a few , you know ... begins with "L"

Quote Originally Posted by Boomboy007 View Post
    My favorite introduction for antigunners consists of the following:

First, after "safing" a pistol and going over the basics of gun safety, I let the anti handle the firearm, ask questions, and simply get used to the sensation. I then explain how the handgun is simply a tool, just like the hammer that I placed there earlier. I ask if, upon entering the room, the person got nervous at the sight of a hammer on the kitchen table. Their answer has always been "No."

I explain that, like a hammer, a firearm is simply a tool, and completely lacking of volition or independent action, evil or otherwise.

I then pick up the hammer, walk to the far side of the room, and dim the lights. I face my guest, plant a dark scowl across my face, and ask them to imagine me as an intruder in their home. I stress that the tool in hand, the formerly innocuous hammer, could easily be misused to cause them great bodily harm. I then direct them to pick up the handgun, and imagine it loaded and ready for use in just such an occasion.

It is a beautiful thing to see the "lights turn on" in their eyes with the realization that holding a gun didn't turn them into a homicidal maniac, but did give them a strength previously unknown when confronted by a crazy dude with a hammer.

My little spiel has resulted in many trips to the range to further understand my point. Thus far, it has been amazingly effective!
    I like this scenario. Don't mind if I "borrow" it, do you?

9. First off, nice job on the conversion! I'm still working on my own wife, who was a "hater", but has come to see the practicality (and the necessity, if the SHTF) of learning how to shoot. I've actually gotten her to dry-fire my .45 and she has tentatively committed to taking "that NRA class".

Boomboy - i really like your approach, and i hope you won't mind if i use that exact strategy from time to time. I've done the "drop shotgun on the bed, it doesn't go off, imagine that, okay i guess its just a tool that needs human intervention to be either useful or dangerous" routine, but i like yours even better. Though i shudder at the thought of even a known emptyand safe pistol being pointed at me. Still, some things teach concepts much better than words .

I still hold out hope of actually shooting with my wife. I've already corrupted (sorry, i really meant to say enlightened) our son and 3 of his friends, all of whom now own rifles and love shooting.

It is an excellent observation that very often, "HATE" actually means "IGNORANT AND THEREFORE AFRAID".
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants ... for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Daugherty16 View Post
    Though i shudder at the thought of even a known emptyand safe pistol being pointed at me. Still, some things teach concepts much better than words .
    I like the scenario, also, as I posted BUT I don't think he actually said that the newbie was pointing the gun at him. Don't do this, would be my advice, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomboy007 View Post
    OK, that's a little spooky... which I'm sure is exactly why it works. I like it.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast