I hate guns - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I hate guns

I love hearing stories like this. The more information we get out there, the better for our cause, and the Second Amendment rights. BRAVO!!!

3. Red face

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    I like the scenario, also, as I posted BUT I don't think he actually said that the newbie was pointing the gun at him. Don't do this, would be my advice, FWIW.
    JJ - you're right, of course. My mind filled that in where Boomboy didn't say it. Doesn't take a big leap of imagination, but it was a leap all the same.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants ... for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

4. Congrats! I have taken 5 antis (including my wife!) to the range in the last three months and they are all converts! I would suggest about an hour at home first going over range rules and learning how to handle the weapon(s) correctly, clear a jam, keeping fingers off the triger, dont point that thing at me, ect. Seems to help them relax when they are familiar with the weapon before they have to handle one with those nasty bullet thingees in there, and I felt much better knowing my chances of surviving the session had improved greatly! I can tell you that the fun they have is about half the fun you will have watching them and knowing that you did a good thing! Kind of gives you a warm fuzzy feeling :) Keep it up!

We should start an "Adopt a Gun Hater" program... There are currently 14,551 USA Carry Members. We could have quite an impact on the gun ban movement if we could each convert a couple...
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    We should start an "Adopt a Gun Hater" program... There are currently 14,551 USA Carry Members. We could have quite an impact on the gun ban movement if we could each convert a couple...
    That's an interesting perspective and one which I have not considered...

Talking Gone for a few days and look what happens!

I am more than happy to share my little spiel with you guys, but please pay attention to what I said:

"First, after "safing" a pistol and going over the basics of gun safety, I let the anti handle the firearm, ask questions, and simply get used to the sensation."

As most of us know, the very first rule of gun safety is that you treat every gun, even one that you "know" is unloaded, as if it were loaded. That would preclude the pointing of a firearm at a live person EVER (unless, of course, you are protecting yourself).

In fact, I believe that it is actually more effective that they don't point the gun at me. Part of that "lights come on" moment has to do with the fact that by simply HOLDING the firearm, they feel more in control of the situation in which they find them self.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Boomboy007 View Post
    Part of that "lights come on" moment has to do with the fact that by simply HOLDING the firearm, they feel more in control of the situation in which they find them self.
    Right, a realization that "Hey, if this were a real life situation, this otherwise inanimate object that I have viewed with contempt my whole life would give me the ability to defend my life against that scary looking guy with the hammer."

Kind of a "shock" into reality.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

This weekend, we had a safety and range orientation session before the drive to the shooting range. We started out with .22 LR pistols, working our way though 9mm Glock, .38 special, and ending with six rounds of .357. This young woman really enjoyed herself. She was giggling with delight.

I think she may be headed to a range near her home base soon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123