Snopes exposed - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Snopes exposed

When it comes to U.S. policiy don't we all have skin in the game? I don't see how anyone can truly be objective. So don't trust anyone's "facts". Listen to their arguments (both sides) and see if there is sound logic on either side or if it is somewhere in the middle. Vote according to ideas and logic - not feelings or ideology. And always follow the money. Someone is bankrolling Sopes. Who?
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

I've know for quite awhile that snopes was just a married couple. And in looking at anything about Oprahbama, they tend to soften any criticism. Most of their stuff, especially email hoaxes, is fairly accurate but yeah, you can't take them as the absolute gospel truth on everything.

I remember following their posts back around the mid 90's on Usenet and it really has been fun to whatch how their information and status has grown from just another poster to creators of their own TV show. Ther have been times that I wish what they said wasn't true (wanting to believe rumors) but have found that they are as reliable or more reliable than any other source out there. I really haven't found them to be slanted politically one way or the other and seldom give opinions but rather stick to facts. Of course with any source of information they can make an error and you need to take that into account. I will be glad to put their track record on reliability up against any newspaper, media source or radio talk show host including Rush Limbaugh.

they are and continue to be a liberal media tool.... I have caught them multiple times being flat out wrong or just plain lieing....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

6. Snopes exposed

Analysis: It apparently never occurred to this anonymous emailer to cite even one actual instance of Snopes.com promulgating "half-truths" or "lies" under the guise of providing reliable information. So much for credibility (the email's, I mean).

It's doubly ironic that such a scurrilous attack (which first began circulating in October 2008) should be mounted against the oldest and most respected fact-checking site on the Internet at the denouement of an election year marked from beginning to end by unrestrained smear-mongering, much of which it fell to Snopes.com to debunk.

Let's examine the accusations.

Is the owner of Snopes.com an avowed liberal?
    The email alleges that Snopes.com is "owned by a flaming liberal" who is "in the tank for Obama."

First off, Snopes.com is owned by two people, not one. They are husband and wife David and Barbara Mikkelson of Agoura Hills, California.

Second, these charges are laid without evidence. At no time have the Mikkelsons publicly stated a political preference or affiliation, or expressed support for any particular party or candidate.

Moreover, Barbara Mikkelson is a Canadian citizen, and as such cannot vote in U.S. elections or contribute to political campaigns. In a statement to FactCheck.org, David Mikkelson said his "sole involvement in politics" is voting on election day. In 2000 he registered as a Republican, documents provided to FactCheck.org show, and in 2008 Mikkelson didn't declare a party affiliation at all. Says Mikkelson: "I've never joined a party, worked for a campaign, or donated money to a candidate" (source: FactCheck.org).

Anyone who claims proof to the contrary needs to come out with it.

Is Snopes.com 'in the tank' for Obama? Do they 'tell lies' about McCain and Palin?
    You'd think it would be easy for someone so blithely asserting that the owners of Snopes.com are "flaming liberals" to offer evidence that they're "in the tank" for Obama and "covering up" for him. None is provided.

As of this writing dozens of forwarded texts pertaining to Barack Obama and his running mate have been analyzed on Snopes.com, each meticulously researched with copious references cited. I have perused them all, not to mention the twenty-odd texts concerning Republican candidates John McCain and Sarah Palin, and find no discernible pattern of bias or deception, nor any evidence of advocacy for or against. To the contrary, I see a consistent effort to provide even-handed analyses of texts which more often than not are themselves dripping with political bias.

That's my assessment, as someone who has investigated the bulk of these rumors himself and can boast a better-than-average familiarity with the subject matter. I invite you to make your own.

Is TruthorFiction.com a more reliable source than Snopes?
    First off, TruthorFiction.com has condemned this anonymous attack against Snopes.com and, in fact, lauds the site as an "excellent" and "authoritative" resource.

What's ironic about claims to the contrary is that when you compare the contents of the two sites their findings rarely diverge in any substantive way. Shouldn't we therefore conclude that TruthorFiction.com is biased too?

Where the sites do differ is in the depth and quality of their coverage. On Snopes.com the Mikkelsons go to extraordinary lengths to address the finer details of each text, supplying critical analysis as well as background and contextual information. Most importantly, they cite sources.

Not to disparage TruthorFiction.com owner Rich Buhler, who does maintain an up-to-date and generally trustworthy resource, but by comparison his analyses tend to be perfunctory, and his sourcing minimal at best.

Snopes.com boasts a 13-year record of providing accurate, dependable information and analysis, and in that time has earned the confidence of the media, government agencies, the business community, and the general public alike.

Given all of the above, Snopes is surely the preferable resource.

7. You live in California, but your insurance agent lives in Mandeville, LA? That's weird.

If Snopes was liberal, why would they stick up for Bush Jr.? If you go to Snopes.com and enter "Bush" in the search engine, you will find several ugly stories about Bush that Snopes labels as "False." Why would they do that if they are so liberal?

And why is this story on a concealed carry website?

8. Have some more Kool Aid.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

9. Very well done HK. I read somewhere a while back that the BAMSTER was in the tank with NOPES SNOPES. Keep your guards up. Thanks!
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

10. Quote Originally Posted by amyjuly1973 View Post
    You live in California, but your insurance agent lives in Mandeville, LA? That's weird.

If Snopes was liberal, why would they stick up for Bush Jr.? If you go to Snopes.com and enter "Bush" in the search engine, you will find several ugly stories about Bush that Snopes labels as "False." Why would they do that if they are so liberal?

And why is this story on a concealed carry website?
    Just last president the liberal websites were claiming Snopes was a tool of the neo-cons trying to dismiss the truth about GWB.

Quote Originally Posted by Booga View Post
    Just last president the liberal websites were claiming Snopes was a tool of the neo-cons trying to dismiss the truth about GWB.
    Simple in every silo some grains of truth must exist, for if they were all fallacy's then no one would ever believe them....

Last election cycle they wrote a bunch of stuff that BHO said, was documented via news services, as false and reported as fals...... caught them at that 3 times.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast