Snopes exposed - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49

Thread: Snopes exposed

  1. #21
    How's that go: Believe half of what you read and none of what you hear? Or is it the other way round!

  2.   
  3. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    For those of you that think snopes is god when it comes to knowing the truth or not. By the way you might want to check this out on snopes.

    I present this for your own evaluation.
    Who "Snopes" are was written up in READERS DIGEST and agrees with this account.
    (no politcal bias was mentioned in the article).

    SNOPES EXPOSED




    For the past few years (http://www.snopescom/ has positioned itself, or others have labeled it, as the 'tell-all final word' on any comment, claim and email. But for several years people tried to find out who exactly was behind snopes.com. Only recently did Wikipedia get to the bottom of it - kinda makes you wonder what they were hiding. Well, finally we know. It is run by a husband and wife team - that's right, no big office of investigators and researchers, no team of lawyers. It's just a mom-and-pop operation that began as a hobby. David and Barbara Mikkelson in the San Fernando Valley of California started the website about 13 years ago and they have no formal background or experience in investigative research. After a few years it gained popularity believing it to be unbiased and neutral, but over the past couple of years people started asking questions who was behind it and did they have a selfish motivation?

    The reason for the questions - or skepticisms - is a result of snopes.com claiming to have the bottom line facts to certain questions or issue when in fact they have been proven wrong. Also, there were criticisms the Mikkelsons were not really investigating and getting to the 'true' bottom of various issues.

    A few months ago, when my State Farm agent Bud Gregg in Mandeville hoisted a political sign referencing Barack Obama and made a big splash across the Internet, 'supposedly' the Mikkelson's claim to have researched this issue before posting their findings on snopes.com. In their statement they claimed the corporate office of State Farm pressured Gregg into taking down the sign, when in fact nothing of the sort 'ever' took place. I personally contacted David Mikkelson (and he replied back to me) thinking he would want to get to the bottom of this and I gave him Bud Gregg's contact phone numbers - and Bud was going to give him phone numbers to the big exec's at State Farm in Illinois who would have been willing to speak with him about it. He never called Bud. In fact, I learned from Bud Gregg that no one from snopes.com ever contacted anyone with State Farm.

    Yet, snopes.com issued a statement as the 'final factual word' on the issue as if they did all their homework and got to the bottom of things - not!

    Then it has been learned the Mikkelson's are very Democratic (party) and extremely liberal. As we all now know from this presidential election, liberals have a purpose agenda to discredit anything that appears to be conservative. There has been much criticism lately over the Internet with people pointing out the Mikkelson's liberalism revealing itself in their website findings. Gee, what a shock?

    So, I say this now to everyone who goes to snopes.com to get what they think to be the bottom line fact 'proceed with caution.' Take what it says at face value and nothing more. Use it only to lead you to their references where you can link to and read the sources for yourself. Plus, you can always Google a subject and do the research yourself. It now seems apparent that's all the Mikkelson's do. After all, I can personally vouch from my own experience for their 'not' fully looking into things.

    http://http//www.wikipedia.org/ or http://http//www.snopes.com/

    I have found this to be true also! Many videos of Obama I tried to verify on Snopes and they said they were False. Then they gave their liberal slant! I have suspected some problems with snopes for some time now, but I have only caught them in half-truths. If there is any subjectivity they do an immediate full left rudder.

    Truth or Fiction, is a better source for verification, in my opinion.
    TruthOrFiction.com-Is that forwarded email Truth or Fiction? Research into stories, scams, hoaxes, myths, and urban legends on the Internet

    I have recently discovered that Snopes.com is owned by a flaming liberal and this man is in the tank for Obama. There are many things they have listed on their site as a hoax and yet you can go to You tube yourself and find the video of Obama actually saying these things. So you see, you cannot and should not trust Snopes.com, ever for anything that remotely resembles truth! I don't even trust them to tell me if email chains are hoaxes anymore.

    A few conservative speakers on MySpace told me aboutSnopes.com. A few months ago and I took it upon myself to do a little research to find out if it was true. Well, I found out for myself that it is true. Anyway just FYI please don't use Snopes.com anymore for fact checking and make your friends aware of their political leanings as well. Many people still think Snopes.com is neutral and they can be trusted as factual. We need to make sure everyone is aware that that is a hoax in itself.

    Thank you,
    Alan Strong

    Alan Strong CEO/Chairman
    Commercial Programming Systems, Inc.
    4400 Coldwater Canyon Ave. Suite
    200 Studio City, CA. 91604-5039
    Alan, why do you not supply links to the many claims you are making? I'm not doubting your claims but anyone willing to research them would have to spend hours doing so since you have not supplied links to the claims.

    My opinions:
    1) Wikipedia should not be the sole source for anything, but it's pretty good for getting the "gist" of a varity of subjects.
    2) Snopes should not be the sole source for anything, but it's pretty good for getting the "gist" of a varity of subjects.
    3) People should not care who runs either site.
    4) People should get their opinions from a variety of sites... and base their opinions on what they found from a variety of sites... and pay close attention to references, links and citations... and give "extra credence" to Reliable Sources.

    To be honest, I only made it through your first two paragraphs.

    Can you summarize your point in a sentence or three?

    All consumers and readers of anything should beware: Just because someone says something in a book, magazine or website does not mean that it is true. Folks need to research a variety of sources, give more credence to "reputable sources" and then make their decisions, and/or take action, from there.

  4. #23
    From California none the less. I wonder if they are citizens? At the risk of being redundant... I'm not surprised.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

  5. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by OldOwl View Post
    From California none the less. I wonder if they are citizens? At the risk of being redundant... I'm not surprised.
    No, at least one is Canadian if I remember correctly without looking it up.

  6. You can not trust Snopes.

    I have been telling people not to trust snopes for two years now. I saw first hand during the 2008 election the out and out bias snopes has.
    I passed on the e-mail showing Obama NOT putting his hand over his heart during the playing of the national anthem. My brother sent an e-mail back saying it is false, and had a link to snopes so I could look it up myself! I clicked it and it said it was “FALSE“, “a picture is NOT worth a thousand words. He may not have put his hand up yet, or he might have just lowered his hand before the picture was taken“. Snopes went on to say there is no law that you have to. THEN they gave a link to a Video showing from start to finish, everyone put their hand over their heart, except Obama.
    I began to look at more Obama and McCain claims saw more flat out lies. All the Obama post were slanted in his favor.
    Example 2; McCain used the “N” word when referring to Obama. Snopes said, They could not find anyone that could confirm he didn’t say it. So they listed it as “probable”
    After the election, I went back to look up some of the many I had looked at before and the post were removed or changed.

  7. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Dane Williams View Post
    I have been telling people not to trust snopes for two years now. I saw first hand during the 2008 election the out and out bias snopes has.
    I passed on the e-mail showing Obama NOT putting his hand over his heart during the playing of the national anthem. My brother sent an e-mail back saying it is false, and had a link to snopes so I could look it up myself! I clicked it and it said it was “FALSE“, “a picture is NOT worth a thousand words. He may not have put his hand up yet, or he might have just lowered his hand before the picture was taken“. Snopes went on to say there is no law that you have to. THEN they gave a link to a Video showing from start to finish, everyone put their hand over their heart, except Obama.
    I began to look at more Obama and McCain claims saw more flat out lies. All the Obama post were slanted in his favor.
    Example 2; McCain used the “N” word when referring to Obama. Snopes said, They could not find anyone that could confirm he didn’t say it. So they listed it as “probable”
    After the election, I went back to look up some of the many I had looked at before and the post were removed or changed.
    That's odd. Maybe you should take a look at this Snope's which says it's True:

    snopes.com: Barack Obama and the National Anthem

  8. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    No, at least one is Canadian if I remember correctly without looking it up.
    Maybe Guido Sarducci was on to something when he said "We shouldn't worry about Russia WAY over there, but we should NUKE Canada looming over us."
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

  9. Huh?

    I have a few questions for you...

    Could you please post examples of those 'multiple times being flat out wrong or just plain lieing' you mentioned?

    If Snopes is a 'liberal media tool', then does that mean that there's a 'liberal conspiracy' to decieve to us?

    If that's true, then my next question is... are these the same 'liberals' who couldn't get organized enough to overcome the minority conservative oppostion in the last two years? Is there a group of better organized 'liberals' out there running things behind the scenes? Why aren't they in Washington enacting the 'liberal agenda'? What, exactly, is the 'liberal agenda'? Who is behind it?

    I'd really like to know.



    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
    they are and continue to be a liberal media tool.... I have caught them multiple times being flat out wrong or just plain lieing....

  10. Quote Originally Posted by DeathNACan View Post
    I have a few questions for you...

    Could you please post examples of those 'multiple times being flat out wrong or just plain lieing' you mentioned?

    If Snopes is a 'liberal media tool', then does that mean that there's a 'liberal conspiracy' to decieve to us?

    If that's true, then my next question is... are these the same 'liberals' who couldn't get organized enough to overcome the minority conservative oppostion in the last two years? Is there a group of better organized 'liberals' out there running things behind the scenes? Why aren't they in Washington enacting the 'liberal agenda'? What, exactly, is the 'liberal agenda'? Who is behind it?

    I'd really like to know.
    Can you say Communist Socialism Marxism??? Do you not see that the Marxist has surrounded himself with a bunch of communist???? They will protect their own.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

  11. Eric Shinseki
    U.S. Army general

    Secretary of Veterans Affairs

    Shinseki graduated from the United States Military Academy in 1965 with a bachelor's degree. He earned an M.A. in English literature from Duke University. He has also taken the Armor Officer Advanced Course and attended the Army Command and General Staff College and the National War College. He received two Purple Hearts and four Bronze Star Medals for his service in Vietnam. He then served for more than ten years in Europe. Shinseki was named a lieutenant general and deputy chief of staff for operations and planning in 1996. The following year, he was promoted to general, later being made commander of the U.S. Army in Europe, the allied land forces in Central Europe, and the NATO force in Bosnia. In 1998 he was named vice chief of staff of the army, and was chief of staff from 1999 until he retired in 2003.


    This is a communist?


    Quote Originally Posted by wooddoctor View Post
    Can you say Communist Socialism Marxism??? Do you not see that the Marxist has surrounded himself with a bunch of communist???? They will protect their own.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Snopes ain't always right!!!
    By festus in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-23-2010, 07:12 PM
  2. Obama party crashers exposed...Obama is a liar
    By festus in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-11-2010, 05:46 PM
  3. I tried to Snopes this...
    By festus in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-02-2008, 01:56 AM
  4. The Church of Oprah Exposed
    By HK4U in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 06:53 PM
  5. Unusual way to dry-fire guns with exposed hammers?
    By John Wesley in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-30-2007, 09:33 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast