The Deadly Passage of the All-American Canal - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Deadly Passage of the All-American Canal

In other news, Arizona has begun construction of a canal that will run the length of its border with Mexico. This one has a slightly different design, as it has piranha instead of climb-out ladders.

I have a question.

Who is going to pick the lettuce, carrots, tomato's, grapes, oranges, almonds, peaches, the rest of the truck crops and operate the cannery's?

I just want to ask, how am I going to have my California fruits and vegetables at a reasonable price.

I am sure the agri giant corporations, like ADM, Cargil, and the California Growers Association are not going to sit still and have their long term, and historic labor force banned from the fields.

I just want tomato's in my salad in the winter.

The other work the illegals perform, their Illegal residence, and drain on the infrastructure, and of course creating huge family's how about another another topic?

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    I have a question.

Who is going to pick the lettuce, carrots, tomato's, grapes, oranges, almonds, peaches, the rest of the truck crops and operate the cannery's?

I just want to ask, how am I going to have my California fruits and vegetables at a reasonable price.

I am sure the agri giant corporations, like ADM, Cargil, and the California Growers Association are not going to sit still and have their long term, and historic labor force banned from the fields.

I just want tomato's in my salad in the winter.

The other work the illegals perform, their Illegal residence, and drain on the infrastructure, and of course creating huge family's how about another another topic?
    Let me ask you a question first. Do you support or oppose minimum wage laws?
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Heck why don't the Federal government just buy a fleet of air conditioned buses to go down to Mexico and pick up the illegals and bring them up. Perhaps they could serve food and drinks for them.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

wolfhunter Guest
    The work would get done. How many people are out of work thanks to the incompetent regulating of most large aspects of the economy? Get the Government OUT of the economy and LET economic factors balance. Yes, this means getting rid of Fannie, Freddie, the Fed Reserve, and MINIMUM WAGE laws. If you're not worth $2.00 an hour why should the GOVERNMENT force an employer to pay you $8.00 an hour? If you want the higher wage, demonstrate that you DESERVE it.

I just want my California fruits, and vegi's. I don't want to pay bigger prices then I already am.
    I don't care how much the workers are paid. I don't care if they are bussed in.
    Most Americans can not do this kind of field work. It is stoop labor. I have done it, it is hard on the body.

The job has historically fell to the immigrants from Mexico, and south. Americans did the picking during the great depression.
    My question was, and still is who is going to pick the tomatoes?

Is there an answer out there?

wolfhunter Guest
    I just want my California fruits, and vegi's. I don't want to pay bigger prices then I already am.
    Most Americans can not do this kind of field work. It is stoop labor. I have done it, it is hard on the body.

The job has historically fell to the immigrants from Mexico, and south. Americans did the picking during the great depression.

My wife and I have both done this type of work. Just because many "Americans" have been indoctrinated by Big Brother to believe that they are "too good" to actually WORK, doesn't mean they can't adjust. Maybe a little field labor will help with that Obesity problem I heard about, and the FDA won't need an Unconstitutional regulation controlling what we eat.

First of all, the slight increase in cost for your precious tomatoes would easily be offset by relieving the taxpayers of the financial burdens the illegals impose on us.

But yes there is an answer, but it's not a single stage remedy. The short answer is that there ARE Americans who will do the work, even for the going rate. The only problem is that we have made that illegal via minimum wage, and un-preferable to collecting unemployment. Good grief, no one here doesn't know that the unemployment rate is hovering around 9 or 10%. That's a lot of cheap labor that the farmers just do not have access to. So, the solution to the problem isn't to bring in more people, because the cause of the problem isn't a lack of people. The cause of the problem (you'll notice a trend here) is government intrusion. Get rid of minimum wage and tighten the rules for unemployment (almost to the point to where it is impossible to get, but certainly to the point where it isn't more desirable to collect). And that is just for starters. CUT TAXES across the board. Stop bleeding money through all these entitlement programs.

Long story short, if the government didn't regulate the hell out of us up front, bleed us dry on the back end, and still spend far more than they take from us, the price of your tomatoes (and pretty much everything else for that matter ) would most likely be even cheaper than they are now (relatively speaking).
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    First of all, the slight increase in cost for your precious tomatoes would easily be offset by relieving the taxpayers of the financial burdens the illegals impose on us.

But yes there is an answer, but it's not a single stage remedy. The short answer is that there ARE Americans who will do the work, even for the going rate. The only problem is that we have made that illegal via minimum wage, and un-preferable to collecting unemployment. Good grief, no one here doesn't know that the unemployment rate is hovering around 9 or 10%. That's a lot of cheap labor that the farmers just do not have access to. So, the solution to the problem isn't to bring in more people, because the cause of the problem isn't a lack of people. The cause of the problem (you'll notice a trend here) is government intrusion. Get rid of minimum wage and tighten the rules for unemployment (almost to the point to where it is impossible to get, but certainly to the point where it isn't more desirable to collect). And that is just for starters. CUT TAXES across the board. Stop bleeding money through all these entitlement programs.

Long story short, if the government didn't regulate the hell out of us up front, bleed us dry on the back end, and still spend far more than they take from us, the price of your tomatoes (and pretty much everything else for that matter ) would most likely be even cheaper than they are now (relatively speaking).
    +1. Some very good points but unfortunately I am dubious about it every happening because I think that is the whole Marxist plan in this country. In other words they want to destroy the middle class. Everything you suggested is not rocket science. Anyone with half a brain should e able to figure it out so if the bureaucrats are not doing it then it is obvious they don't want to fix the problem.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Immigration isn't the issue. ILLEGAL immigration is. If you want to come here do it the right way. I'm not saying the immigration system doesn't need an overhaul but that is a separate discussion. Perhaps that can be done with the funds that will open up after we get the strain off the system that all the illegal immigrants put on it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast