Questions about the Bible - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions about the Bible

I'm wading into this discussion at the risk of casting my pearls before swine. I won't deign to preach to Iceman because he strikes me as someone who's been around this earth for a while. Surely, someone who can critique the Bible as he has obviously has read it from cover to cover, so I won't re-hash it for him. I will say that for most of my life, I believed much as he did. I was very anti-Christian for many of the same reasons. I was master of my own destiny and no God was going to tell me what to do or not to do. When I read the Bible for the first time, it was not to find God; I was going to prove Him a liar, as well as all those filthy Christians who were responsible for all the ills and hurts of the world.

What I found was not a book, but a mirror. This mirror showed me that I was not the good boy I thought I was, but that I was a sinner and had done some downright evil things in my life. My blind eyes were opened to the fact that this universe is governed by laws, whether those laws be physical laws which govern the motion of planets or moral laws imprinted in our conscience, which we violate to the point of callousness. If there are laws, then there has to be a Lawgiver. And if there is a Lawgiver, then there has to be a Judge who judges those who violate these laws. Praise God that there is One who not only satified the law, but paid the penalty for those of us lawbreakers who will trust in Him!

The Iceman is right. Christianity is for the weak-minded. I readily confess that. Isn't it amazing that the Lord uses the weak things to shame the strong, the foolish things to shame the wise? I find it amusing that he says he likes to only talk about guns (and that's fine, because this IS a forum about guns, carrying guns, etc.), but he readily dismisses the faith of the men who 230 years ago purchased for him the ability to be on this forum today. Quite frankly, I don't understand how any person can advocate for 2A, but not want to allow discussions about the Creator from whom these "inalienable" rights come from. To be honest, it is because of the very rejection of God that we are even in this fight today. I think it's very pertinent to the discussion to 2A to include God.

I did not post this to try to convince the Iceman to see my POV. No amount of human reasoning and argument will accomplish that. No man led me to Christ. God changed me through the exposure to His Word. I write in the hope that those silent ones who peruse through these posts will be moved by God to go deeper. Please don't judge Jesus Christ by those who label themselves "Christian". I think that the recent attempts by anti-Tea Party activists to infiltrate and discredit the Tea Party are a prime example of the tactics that the opposition will use to discredit Christianity. Some fakes are easy to spot; others are far more insidious. Read the Book. For those of you who are truly born again, please remember that you are an epistle of Christ. For some people, you may be the only Gospel that they read. But everyone must understand the Christians are not superhuman, we are fallible just like you. I am only a beggar telling other beggars where to find bread.

I wanted to respond to the 1 Kings 7:23 discussion, but I see that Alaska's already got that in hand. Personally, I think a 4.5% error in the value of PI is pretty darned accurate when you are measuring a 45 foot circle with a piece of string.

Sorry for the long post.

Grace, Mercy and Peace

Very well said G&RClinger. Thank You.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by G&RClinger View Post
    ... a 4.5% error in the value of PI is pretty darned accurate when you are measuring a 45 foot circle with a piece of string...
    The verse does not explain how the measurement was made. If the Bible is the inspired and inerrant word of God, why was the amanuensis not capable of recording accurate values? Perhaps God chose to provide inaccurate information to test your faith? That appears misleading and dishonest to me...

The problem with belief is that it necessitates equivocation in order to maintain it against fact:

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”
    Robert Heinlein quotes
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”
    Robert Heinlein quotes

My thoughts exactly. Or as the scripture says "Cast not your pearls before swine".
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Beautifully stated, G&RClinger. I need to remember your quote: "I'm just a beggar leading other beggars to the bread". Thank you for such a wonderful, spirit-filled post!
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Conservative Wife & Mom View Post
    Beautifully stated, G&RClinger. I need to remember your quote: "I'm just a beggar leading other beggars to the bread". Thank you for such a wonderful, spirit-filled post!
    C&RClinger. Very well put. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    To my well meaning internet christian friends,

The last few days, I have spent a few hours watching the TV preachers. They are using the same bible, and talking about the same God, and Jesus you nice people are.

These TV men of God are telling me, what they say is true. They can justify it with "his word". You are telling me what you say is true. Because it is "his word".

The TV men are using the same bible quotes that can be used to justify anything they want it to. Just like you kind, well christian folks.

Both the TV men, and you are trying to sell me on the idea that the bible is like a tool and spare parts box all in one. What ever you need, it is in there. Instructions are included.

The TV men of God use accessories like Miracle spring water from Russia, red blood of Jesus prayer-kchiefs, green prayer cloths. Miracle get out of debt tools. Special manna. The list is quite large.

These TV men tell me, if I believe in God, and Jesus, do what they say, all my bills will be paid. I will even get checks in the mail.

The TV men of God cure cancer, bladder infections, old broken down bodies right there on TV. I seen them put their hands on folks, and they heal the sick.

Many of them even talk in "tongues" Just like in that bible.

The Prosperity Gospel will give me financial success for life.

Many of the TV men are selling God supplies. Benny has a good sized line of God accessories.

Another has several people who are selling the "power of prophecy.

Many of these TV men of God, have titles, like apostle, Bishop, master prophet. Titles right out of the bible.

I have read that many people accuse these TV men of God of being cheats, and crooks.

Who is to say who is wrong, and who is right. The TV men are using the same book you are. They sling the same quotes at their audience as you do.

The TV men have a fancy TV studio, and a large staff. They make millions a year, and travel the country in private jets.

You well meaning folk are just another group of rubes on a internet chat board.

Remember, same book, same God, same Jesus are used by both groups.

I have a hard time beleving any of this. It all seems so made up, and phony.

Tell me who I should belive, and who not.

Explain this to me like I am six years old?
    I've been a Christian for 35 years. One thing I have learned and keep learning is that as you study God's word over and over you learn something new everytime. Then you become aware of what sounds right and what does'nt. When you accept Christ as your Saviour you recieve the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit helps you decide what is in line with God's laws. I agree with you about the TV scammers. The Bible tells us all about false teachers and how Satan can corrupt God's word. He even tried it on Jesus. There are and will continue to be people that follow corrupt religious leaders making them rich and famous in the process. Being a Christian is making a choice to live life the way God intended it and recieving his gift of eternal life at the end.

[QUOTE=gestu1;132876]I've been a Christian for 35 years. One thing I have learned and keep learning is that as you study God's word over and over you learn something new everytime. Then you become aware of what sounds right and what does'nt. When you accept Christ as your Saviour you recieve the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit helps you decide what is in line with God's laws. I agree with you about the TV scammers. The Bible tells us all about false teachers and how Satan can corrupt God's word. He even tried it on Jesus. There are and will continue to be people that follow corrupt religious leaders making them rich and famous in the process. Being a Christian is making a choice to live life the way God intended it and recieving his gift of eternal life at the end.

It is a shame there are others on here who IMO are just terrible representatives if your faith. Thank all of you for sharing your thoughts, and beleifs.

I was wrong in thinking all Christians were just like most of the members of the paranoid christian club, which attempts to dominate this website with their doomsday theories, and their judgemental , hypocritical beatings of anyone who attempts to disagree with them.
    Thank you for your postings.

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    Gestul1, it is very refreshing to hear from you, and the other gentlemen Alaska, and clinger, who IMO are true representatives of the Christan faith.

It is a shame there are others on here who IMO are just terrible representatives if your faith. Thank all of you for sharing your thoughts, and beliefs.

I was wrong in thinking all Christians were just like most of the members of the paranoid christian club, which attempts to dominate this website with their doomsday theories, and their judgmental , hypocritical beatings of anyone who attempts to disagree with them.
    Thank you for your postings.
    Ok.. Well since I was excluded.. I guess I fall into the "terrible representatives if your faith" category..

I think I'll add some more judgment and hypocritical beatings in my next Doomsday Theory.. Thanx for the ideas, that should get those disagreeable Bastages in line!!!

Love you man..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    Ok.. Well since I was excluded.. I guess I fall into the "terrible representatives if your faith" category..

I think I'll add some more judgment and hypocritical beatings in my next Doomsday Theory.. Thanx for the ideas, that should get those disagreeable Bastages in line!!!

Love you man..
    Gezzz, I am sorry for those of you I missed.
    I guess I got so pissed at the bad ones I was blinded by my anger.
    Thanks for reminding me hoot.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast