Questions about the Bible - Page 4
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 110

Thread: Questions about the Bible

  1. Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    The verse does not explain how the measurement was made. If the Bible is the inspired and inerrant word of God, why was the amanuensis not capable of recording accurate values? Perhaps God chose to provide inaccurate information to test your faith? That appears misleading and dishonest to me...

    The problem with belief is that it necessitates equivocation in order to maintain it against fact:
    Like many so called errors in the Bible, what we instead see is a test of faith on whether you believe what is written may actually be true. In addition, there are many true word puzzles in the Bible especially in the area of Bible prophecy. The I Kings verse is only missing the definition of a cubit and a handbreadth. With our approximation using what we know believe those measurements to be, we can still approximate the value of Pi to 3.14. If we had the definitions in cm of what those measurements really were, it would be exactly Pi. No error here at all. We likewise no longer know what the Egyptian's King's cubit was either, only modern day approximations. If you look at how accurate the value of Pi is from this word puzzle and go backwards, it actually is a modern day record of what the handbreadth and the cubit really were. God's word is eternal. Having a known value we can look backwards to define the other values by a very close approximation. It does confirm the relative values between forearm length and hand width, but not the absolute values.


    As far as how do we tell who is the real preacher of God's word and who is the counterfeit, we once again and likewise have the Bible as our measuring stick for this as well. The Bible tells us that we know them by their fruits, a good tree cannot bring forth bad fruit and a bad tree cannot bring forth good fruit. Amazing how true this is and the number of televangelists whose sin finds them out.

    But Iceman, if you are looking to find sin in all of us Christians, not too hard, we all fall short in one way or another. You are missing the message of the need to look to Jesus as our example that we should strive to be like. Read the Bible and you will find it is indeed a mirror into our soul. You will not only find yourself between the pages, but the Saviour as well who will save you from your sins if you only ask him. Try it for yourself.

  2.   
  3. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    I guess I got so pissed at the bad ones I was blinded by my anger.
    Thanks for reminding me hoot.
    Are you sure it was your Anger?? It sounds a lot like you may have had a Saul experience...

    Ahhhh ... There is Nothing like Biblical Humor...

    OK.. Maybe this puts me into the category "terrible representatives if your faith"...

    Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

  4. [quote=theicemanmpls;132884]
    Quote Originally Posted by gestu1 View Post
    I've been a Christian for 35 years. One thing I have learned and keep learning is that as you study God's word over and over you learn something new everytime. Then you become aware of what sounds right and what does'nt. When you accept Christ as your Saviour you recieve the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit helps you decide what is in line with God's laws. I agree with you about the TV scammers. The Bible tells us all about false teachers and how Satan can corrupt God's word. He even tried it on Jesus. There are and will continue to be people that follow corrupt religious leaders making them rich and famous in the process. Being a Christian is making a choice to live life the way God intended it and recieving his gift of eternal life at the end.
    _______________________________________
    GOD IS ALIVE and ACTVE.[/QUOTE
    Gestul1, it is very refreshing to hear from you, and the other gentlemen alsaska, and clinger, who IMO are true representatives of the Christan faith.

    It is a shame there are others on here who IMO are just terrible representatives if your faith. Thank all of you for sharing your thoughts, and beleifs.

    I was wrong in thinking all Christians were just like most of the members of the paranoid christian club, which attempts to dominate this website with their doomsday theories, and their judgemental , hypocritical beatings of anyone who attempts to disagree with them.
    Thank you for your postings.
    Dear Iceman, thank you for the thoughtful post, sometimes we forget as Christians that we are supposed to have a ready answer of the faith that is within and also that we are not supposed to have our good spoken evil of. There is absolutely nothing wrong with questioning the Bible, it is how I became a Christian as well as many others that I know. I like the way I heard and evangelist describe the gospel, it is just one begger telling another begger where to find good bread. We are all sinners, whether lost or saved. The Bible is the place to find salvation, that is all that the gospel is all about. If you ever have any questions that I might possible help with, please don't hesitate to ask.

    God bless,

    Alaska444

  5. #34
    Iceman,
    I will admit that I am the least able to testify to you about being a Christian,I feel like Saul,cheif among sinners. I am in no position to judge another because I also remember my own sins. All I can say is read Proverbs,I have read it over and over and each time I do I find that it is common sense decisions that God would have us make. The truth is in the Bible,for those who will accept it. Jesus said ALL have fallen short of the glory of God,I definately have,on more than a few occasions. I related to a friend in church once how that God made the Heavens and the Earth,every star in the sky,every grain of sand,yet,when it came to my redemption HE gave his only Son so that I might have everlasting life. Now think on that,yes I beleive in a just God,a God that will punish sin,I also beleive in a loving God that does not want to punish but must because He is righteous,and must do so because of that very righteousness. Quite the conundrum isnt it? Yet if we only trust and have even the faith of a mustard seed we will be saved. I pray for your understanding,and for your faith to come,even as mine did. I am unworthy of Salvation. I am a sinner. Only by the blood is there redemption,for me Jesus shed his blood. Amazing,simply amazing to me that God provided for me,among all his creation,he thought enough of me to save me. I hope you find your way as I have.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

  6. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by rugerfan.64 View Post
    Iceman,
    I will admit that I am the least able to testify to you about being a Christian,I feel like Saul,cheif among sinners. I am in no position to judge another because I also remember my own sins. All I can say is read Proverbs,I have read it over and over and each time I do I find that it is common sense decisions that God would have us make. The truth is in the Bible,for those who will accept it. Jesus said ALL have fallen short of the glory of God,I definately have,on more than a few occasions. I related to a friend in church once how that God made the Heavens and the Earth,every star in the sky,every grain of sand,yet,when it came to my redemption HE gave his only Son so that I might have everlasting life. Now think on that,yes I beleive in a just God,a God that will punish sin,I also beleive in a loving God that does not want to punish but must because He is righteous,and must do so because of that very righteousness. Quite the conundrum isnt it? Yet if we only trust and have even the faith of a mustard seed we will be saved. I pray for your understanding,and for your faith to come,even as mine did. I am unworthy of Salvation. I am a sinner. Only by the blood is there redemption,for me Jesus shed his blood. Amazing,simply amazing to me that God provided for me,among all his creation,he thought enough of me to save me. I hope you find your way as I have.
    Ok, I read the saul conversion. It reminded me of the beatles song ballad of john and yoko. Question- What happened to saul after he went to Damascus? Was he able to see again? And did saul ever go back to persecuting the christians? or did he become one of them?

    I am not as bad a saul. I do not wish to persecute all christians. Just the ones who hide behind the their religon and use the bible to get their way, cheat, steal, and make people feel bad. IMO, they are very bad people for using something very special for their own agenda.

  7. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    Ok, I read the Saul conversion. It reminded me of the Beatles song ballad of john and yoko. Question- What happened to Saul after he went to Damascus? Was he able to see again? And did Saul ever go back to persecuting the Christians? or did he become one of them?

    I am not as bad a Saul. I do not wish to persecute all Christians. Just the ones who hide behind the their religion and use the bible to get their way, cheat, steal, and make people feel bad. IMO, they are very bad people for using something very special for their own agenda.
    Great Question.. But I don't want to mislead you, so you can read it for yourself "What happened to Saul"

    Read the above passages 1st, then read below...


    Saul was THE religious guy of his day.. He was a Jew's Jew, if you will..
    He was a HIGH Priest and worked at keeping ALL of God's commandments and the Jewish interpretations of the law(600+ laws), and chastised others for not doing the same. This is why he went after the Christians (literally killing them), because he thought Jesus was Blaspheming God and he couldn't stand for that..

    Saul later was renamed Paul (this name change happens several times in the Bible to people who have an encounter with God) Names have meanings to the Jewish people and by changing their name, they in essence change who they are.

    Paul wrote MOST of the New Testament and started many, many churches all over from Turkey through Rome.. He, in the end, like almost all of the Disciples died for his faith..

    Would you die for something you did not believe in whole heatedly???

    God works in Mysterious ways... Jesus had 12 disciples follow him around for 3 1/2 years, but then he uses Paul to write much of the new testament.. Several of the Disciples also wrote books in the new testament, but Paul wrote the most.
    (Paul's books are really letters to various churches and he is dealing with the situations that they are struggling with, the same things many of us deal with today, Including false teachers!)


    AS for your 2nd Paragraph.. The Bible (word of God) is supposed to Change us, we are not supposed to change the word of God, which is what many of the Christians you speak of are doing.. They Bible says they will be judged double (By God) because they are teachers of false doctrine.

    Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

  8. Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    Ok, I read the saul conversion. It reminded me of the beatles song ballad of john and yoko. Question- What happened to saul after he went to Damascus? Was he able to see again? And did saul ever go back to persecuting the christians? or did he become one of them?

    I am not as bad a saul. I do not wish to persecute all christians. Just the ones who hide behind the their religon and use the bible to get their way, cheat, steal, and make people feel bad. IMO, they are very bad people for using something very special for their own agenda.
    Dear Iceman, I agree, great question. Let me go to the question of whether Paul was able to see again, and the answer is yes, but if you do read the Bible at some point, there is an interesting discussion on what Paul means later when he talks about a thorn in his flesh that God gave to him to keep him humble. Many have speculated on what this thorn in his flesh was, but I believe that the Bible does tell us in a few ways.

    First, when Paul later stands before the same men that he once was part of, the ruling council of the Jews, he was slapped by one of the guards at the command of the head of the Sanhedron. Paul cursed him, not with profanity, and some one told Paul he shouldn't speak evil of the high priest. Paul agreed, apologized and stated it was not lawful to say what he had said. All of these men were only a few feet apart and they were all men that Paul had known for years, he was once one of them. He could hear him, but it appears, he couldn't see him.

    Secondly, Paul always had someone write down what he dictated. Most won't get this since many of the Bibles no longer contain the post scripts at the end of he epistles. Why would he do this? In one epistle he talks of writing with a big letter and in many he also signed them. Is it possible that Paul was what we would call legally blind but not completely blind? I believe that is why some one else wrote all of his epistles for him.

    Lastly, in Galatiians, he remarks how gracious that they had been when he was among them that they did not despise his thorn in his flesh and pledged that they were willing to even pluck out their own eyes to give to him.

    I believe this is a literal statement pointing to what the thorn in his flesh was. After his conversion on the road to Damascus, the Lord after 3 days restored his sight but later in life he developed significant visual difficulties leaving him unable to read or write without assistance. I have not seen any other indications of what the thorn in the flesh could be and you need to have an answer for the issues above.

    Great question Iceman.

    God bless,

  9. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Central N.Car.
    Posts
    534
    I strongly believe that God can heal and I have seen it personally more than once. Why He does not heal all is something I will have to find out later. There is something that appalls me and that is the TV "healing ministries". If they were truly men of God then they would be in the hospitals across the land doing what God supposedly gave the gifts to do instead of exploiting the weak minded, those grasping for straws, and those with no other hope. Even there they do heal occasionally--do not deny it but then they beg for money in an ever increasing manner. I have started supporting several ministries over my life and they all continue to press for more funds for this or that. Really disgusting way for people to claim they are called of God.
    Arthur Murry is the closest to a Biblical teacher on TV that I know of. Another is Les Feldick who does not claim to be a preacher but a teacher. These men impress me with their knowledge. There are others who are fine "men of the cloth" and my hat is off to them. Be careful who you listen to. There were scoundrels in Biblical times and still are today. Out to push the gospel for personal gain. Nothing new, just in a more polished package.
    Now, let me leave you with this: may the Holy Spirit minister to you in a manner that speaks to your heart. May you begin to see where He wants you to be and the way to get there. He spoke to me many years ago through a drugged haze. It took three weeks of near total misery before I cried out that I was tired of living the way I was and wanted to turn away from it. I invited Him into my life and have never regretted it. One year later He opened my vision to see where I had been and where I was. I was astonished at what had happened. Not only had I quit drugs/alcohol, but was engaged to a wonderful woman(married now 36 yrs), had a Scout troop, was in a civic and faternal organization, working on my EMT cert., a volunteer fireman, teaching SS, and singing in the choir. All that in one year. He gave me a totally new set of friends to help shape and guide my life. A preacher bud who was a real buddy.
    There is a verse I scripture you might want to look up sometime. It goes-- He reached down into the horrible pit, into the mirey clay, and set my feet upon the rock--yea He established my goings and even put a new song on my lips.
    God can only do what we allow Him to do in our lives. We only have to be willing to let Him in.

  10. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,429
    I wish to thank those of you who are sharing your beliefs with me.

    One of the the things that gets me angry is the way some of those who call themselves "Christians". The way they speak of homosexuals, and lesbians is just down right mean.
    The bible is quite clear about homosexuality. It is also quite clear about eating hogs, and shell fish.

    Some of these "Christians" have said that the behavior of the homosexuals is a "life style" and is voluntary. They have alluded that with enough prayer, God will remove their homosexual desires, and make them "normal".

    Here is a quote from one of "those Christians"
    "My Bible, in BOTH the Old Testament and the New Testament, tells me that homosexuality "is an obimination to the Lord". If our Creator God finds it apprehensible, there is NO way that I can put my personal seal of approval on it. The bottom line is that Jesus died for the sins of the world...that includes you, me and everyone else. The necessary reaction, to the price our Savior paid, is for everyone to recognize his/her own sin, turn to God in repentance of that sin and strive, with His divine help, to live lives that are pleasing in His sight"

    I say HORSESH&TT.

    Homosexuality is something people are born with. It can't be helped, and it can't be prayed away.

    It may even be possible that one, or even more of the close followers of Jesus was gay.
    From what I read about Jesus, he wasn't a person who would turn away from another over their sexuality.

    The catholic church is filled with gay priests. Some who can't control their sexual urges.

    Gay's and lesbians don't go on recruiting drives. Having gay or lesbian parents does not make gay offspring. Having a gay lesbian teacher does not make one gay.

    Gay's and lesbians have served in the armed forces of the united states even before 1776.

    So, what is the deal with true christianity?

    Love everyone who is like you, and hate the ones who are different?
    or,
    Everyone is a child of God. Everyone is equal.?

  11. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    I wish to thank those of you who are sharing your beliefs with me.

    One of the the things that gets me angry is the way some of those who call themselves "Christians". The way they speak of homosexuals, and lesbians is just down right mean.
    The bible is quite clear about homosexuality. It is also quite clear about eating hogs, and shell fish.

    Some of these "Christians" have said that the behavior of the homosexuals is a "life style" and is voluntary. They have alluded that with enough prayer, God will remove their homosexual desires, and make them "normal".

    Here is a quote from one of "those Christians"
    "My Bible, in BOTH the Old Testament and the New Testament, tells me that homosexuality "is an obimination to the Lord". If our Creator God finds it apprehensible, there is NO way that I can put my personal seal of approval on it. The bottom line is that Jesus died for the sins of the world...that includes you, me and everyone else. The necessary reaction, to the price our Savior paid, is for everyone to recognize his/her own sin, turn to God in repentance of that sin and strive, with His divine help, to live lives that are pleasing in His sight"

    I say HORSESH&TT.

    Homosexuality is something people are born with. It can't be helped, and it can't be prayed away.

    It may even be possible that one, or even more of the close followers of Jesus was gay.
    From what I read about Jesus, he wasn't a person who would turn away from another over their sexuality.

    The catholic church is filled with gay priests. Some who can't control their sexual urges.

    Gay's and lesbians don't go on recruiting drives. Having gay or lesbian parents does not make gay offspring. Having a gay lesbian teacher does not make one gay.

    Gay's and lesbians have served in the armed forces of the united states even before 1776.

    So, what is the deal with true christianity?

    Love everyone who is like you, and hate the ones who are different?
    or,
    Everyone is a child of God. Everyone is equal.?
    Homosexuality is something people are born with. It can't be helped, and it can't be prayed away.

    Wrong again.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New To The Site, Had A Few Questions, Open To All Suggestions, 1st Post
    By FieldTester in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-18-2010, 01:33 PM
  2. My introduction, along with a few questions.
    By Aresye in forum Concealed Carry Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-23-2010, 07:42 PM
  3. U.S. Military Weapons Inscribed With Secret 'Jesus' Bible Codes
    By matthewaynelson in forum Military & Veterans
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-21-2010, 08:53 PM
  4. Questions Regarding The Fort Hood Massacre
    By BigSlick in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-12-2009, 07:07 PM
  5. San Diego banning bible study in the home
    By festus in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 02:24 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast