Dogs - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Dogs

I have been talking about the Border Terrier but without a doubt the best (I am biased) all around dog is the Rottweiler. Big lap dog plus great guard dog. For first timers to this breed I would suggest a female. Have had them since 1982, before many people actually knew what they were. Heard one person call it a Rottenwiler, no joke, he thought that was what they were called.

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    I have been talking about the Border Terrier but without a doubt the best (I am biased) all around dog is the Rottweiler. Big lap dog plus great guard dog. For first timers to this breed I would suggest a female. Have had them since 1982, before many people actually knew what they were. Heard one person call it a Rottenwiler, no joke, he thought that was what they were called.
    Mine was a female, too. Always had male dogs. What a guard dog! Once she "adopted" my kids, they were hers and no one was gonna get between her and her "pups". Every bit as good a watch dog as any alpha male I ever had. You're right too: nothing but a big ol' lap dog, when things were mellow.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Quote Originally Posted by .38 girl View Post
    Thanks for adopting the pitties. Sadly the breed is so misrepresented and reviled by all the misinformation out there.

I love those dogs.

On a bad note, I stopped at the mailbox this morning to send back some movies. My neighbor was outside with her dog. I'm not sure what kind it was, looked like lassie, but a mini version. That dog went running up the drive, into the road, and someone ran over her. It was awful. The lady driving the car stopped, got out, and cried with my neighbor. Then she said she was a vet. Of all things... I was late to work because I burried her dog for her. Not a good way to start the day. I've been through losing a pet a few times, and my heart goes out to my neighbor, and anybody else who has to do it.

I have two spoiled Shtzu's that are year apart brothers. One is six and the other is five years old. They had a hand in raising the newest addition. A three year old English Bulldog that I brought home at six weeks old. Shtzu's still boss him around.

6. I might 'win' this one. Growing up my mom was crazy animal lady (still is). The most dogs we ever had at one time was 27. All inside dogs. I've had pet dogs, cats, birds, gerbils, fish, goats, cows, possums, a pet fox and a pet bear. All the dogs were mutts we rescued except the Basenji my sister brought back from Sierra Leone so he wouldn't get eaten (civil war there, folks are starving). We stole two or three dogs off neighbours because they eventually came over and said, Ok, screw it, he obviously would rather live here than with me; you keep him. We'd be like, we're sorry, we didn't do it on purpose...

The bear was cool; a little roly-poly black dude, rotund, as wide as he was high, an orphan. You get a bear and you think, what the hell!?? We have a damn bear!? Ok, so it's a dog. Then you let him out of his cage and you're like, oh but quick like a cat! Then he bites you and you think, oh but strong like a BEAR! My sister has a damn BEAR! What the hell!? Letting him out of his cage meant wrestling. Little dude was really loyal but he kept score; every point you scored would cause him to escalate, and play always ended with him getting too rough and you'd have to be no, no stop you stupid bear, ow back to the cage. She took him to camp and went on the canoe trip and the dude that was supposed to give him water didn't, and he died. Very sad. Bears are cool.

FYI. if your mother has just waxed the kitchen floor and the cows come in the kitchen and whump! do the splits use carpet scraps out of the attic. Didn't make it to school that day. Carpet scraps.

Right now we have a 10 yr old male black lab, Zevon, a 1 yr old Male Eglish Pointer, Council and a new female (10 wks) yellow lab puppy, Selena. Right now my wife is out with the pointer, looking at maybe a new female English Pointer. We hope to have a litter of pointer pups next year.....stay tuned.

At the moment, my 2 yr old daughter is feeding Cheerios to our balck lab....he's the only one that is allowed people food. I guess he'll have lower cholesterol! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by surfcc View Post
    At the moment, my 2 yr old daughter is feeding Cheerios to our balck lab....he's the only one that is allowed people food. I guess he'll have lower cholesterol! LOL!
    I think you should also be allowed people food too!

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    I think you should also be allowed people food too!
    Funny....I meant the only dog allowed people food. LOL!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345