Ut-oh, CCW holder plays cowboy. Oops.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ut-oh, CCW holder plays cowboy. Oops.

Ut-oh, CCW holder plays cowboy. Oops.

He should have NEVER pulled his gun. Should never do what he did. Wonder how bad that will make CCW people look?

Ken

052710 1845

Breaking News Police: Witness to iPhone theft shoots at suspects, faces own arrest

By Noelle Crombie, The Oregonian

May 26, 2010, 1:00PM

View full size

Stuart Tomlinson/The Oregonian

Roger Witter demonstrates the stance he took before firing twice into the bumper of a car containing two suspected I-phone thieves in Gresham last night. Roger Witter's good intentions landed him in jail late Tuesday.

Gresham police say Witter, 48, was in an AT&T store at 533 Northwest Division Street in Gresham when two men stole multiple iPhones. Witter witnessed the theft and, instead of waiting for police, he took off after the men, firing at their getaway car.

He told police he intended to "shoot out the tires," but it is unclear where the rounds ended up, though police said he fired in a direct line with the Gresham City Hall Max station and the adjacent Park & Ride.

Witter, a customer at the store, told police he didn't feel that his own life or anyone else's was in danger. He said he was trying to help police. But instead he got himself into hot water.

View full size Witter

Multnomah County Officers ended up arresting Witter, accusing him of unlawful use of a weapon, reckless endangerment disorderly conduct and unlawful discharge of a firearm. His handgun and concealed weapons permit were seized.

"It is important to remember that no matter how frustrated one may be with crime and the criminal justice system, it is not permissible to use deadly force in this type of situation," Gresham Sgt. Rick Wilson said in announcing Witter's arrest. "Those two rounds could've gone anywhere. In fact, we're still not sure where they went. They could've struck an innocent bystander or damaged property."

Wednesday morning, a gun lobbyist said he realized that Witter was trying to do the right thing but didn't show good judgment.

"I understand the person's frustration," said gun lobbyist Kevin Starrett, with the Oregon Firearms Federation, a pro-firearms group. "I can understand his desire to be helpful. But it was not the thing to do. You cant shoot someone's tires out; its just not TV."

The two suspects, who fled in a silver-colored Chrysler, remained at large this morning.

Both are described as 5-foot-10 to 5-foot-11 inches tall, and about 20 to 30 years of age.

One was wearing a gray and black horizontally striped hooded sweatshirt, blue jeans and white tennis shoes. The other was wearing a brown hooded sweatshirt, blue jeans and dark shoes. Their Chrsyler was last seen heading westbound on Northwest Division.

Witter, meanwhile, has been released from jail.

Reached at his Rockwood home this morning, Witter talked to The Oregonian.

"I'm not a cowboy," he said. "I'm not a hero. I was just doing what I always try to do: help."

AT&T employees at the store Wednesday morning declined to talk about the incident, but a spokeswoman for AT&T issued a statement.

"AT&T takes this matter very seriously," said Colleen Smith, spokesperson for AT&T. "We are cooperating with law enforcement and I'd refer you to law enforcement for any further details or comment."

-- Noelle Crombie

View Larger Map

Oregon law:

When to shoot
    Oregon's laws are very specific about when it's appropriate to fire guns to thwart crimes.

Citizens can fire weapons at other people -- acts known as "deadly force" -- only to prevent a violent felony or the imminent risk of serious physical injury or death, said Doug Harcleroad, a retired Lane County district attorney and senior policy adviser for the Oregon Anti-Crime Alliance.

Those who shoot at vehicles or nonhuman targets to thwart crimes can be charged with a number of offenses, including reckless endangerment, disorderly conduct, unlawful use of a weapon or discharging a firearm inside city limits, he said.

wolfhunter Guest
    This isn't going to go well for Witter.

Oregon Vet, Long time, no see! Missed your input lately.

Not good but good to here from you Oregon Vet.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

6. I've said it a million times, training, learn the Use of force laws pertaining to your State laws and/or guide lines. Train, practice, and classroom instructions will give you gun discipline and confidence while carrying in public.

I hate to see a good guy do something really dumb and end up in trouble due to the lack of training and knowledge.

You must realize the liabilities of carrying a weapon, drawing it, pointing it at someone, or discharging it. DO NOT let your emotions dictate your actions/tactics. He did a bad thing with good intentions.

This guy wanted to shoot out the tires of the getaway vehicle because somebody stole an i-phone.....

Some people learn more from a good scar than good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsite View Post
    I hate to see a good guy do something really dumb and end up in trouble due to the lack of training and knowledge.
    I'd characterize him as more of a "bad" guy. Or maybe a dimwit, or just plain stupid. The dude obviously had no buisness carrying and now thank goodness, probably never will again.

This could of went real bad. Someone could of been hit.
    I doubt if he was paying attention in his training class
    Having the firearm on your waist don't give one super hero powers. Everyone should take the timer to review the law regarding carry in your state.
    I wonder what pistol would work best for shooting out tires?
    9 mm, 357 sig, or 40 cal with FMJ?

9. I have to tell you friends... My firearm would never, ever leave my holster unless it was my family or myself in immediate danger and we could not get away. I am not superhuman... I have learned that lesson.

I choose not to get involved in anything I see happening in the world. My kids need me and that is what my cell phone is for.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

Did I miss something or did the reporter describe everything about the perps except their race?

When did an i-phone become so important as to fire a gun in a public place with people around and potentially in harms way? What a dope.

Complacency will get a person in trouble every time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast