I remember to good and th bad about the man
Career highlights
Overall 238–72–10
Bowls 6–6

3 National (1954, 1957, 1968)
1 Mid-American (1950)
13 Big Ten (1954–1955, 1957, 1961, 1968–1970, 1972–1977
Yet most that may have heard aboiut him will only know him from that one moment in time, one shot that killed a great coach.
Sad to say I also saw the hit.

1978 Gator Bowl
Ultimately, Hayes' volatile temper ended his career. On December 29, 1978, Ohio State played in the Gator Bowl against Clemson. Late in the fourth quarter, the Buckeyes were down by two points. Freshman quarterback Art Schlichter drove the Buckeyes down the field into field goal range. On 3rd and 5 at the Clemson 24-yard line with 2:30 left and the clock running, Hayes called a pass rather than a run because Schlichter was having a great game up to that point.

The pass was intercepted by Clemson nose guard Charlie Bauman, who returned it toward the OSU sideline where he was run out of bounds; after Bauman rose to his feet, Hayes punched him in the throat, starting a bench-clearing brawl, then stormed onto the field and abused the referee. When one of Hayes' own players, offensive lineman Ken Fritz, tried to intervene, Hayes turned on him and had to be restrained by defensive coordinator George Hill. The Buckeyes were assessed two 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalties for Hayes' punch on Bauman and his abuse of the referee, and Hayes was ejected. Bauman was not injured by Hayes' action and shrugged the incident off. Even though the game was being telecast by ABC, announcers Keith Jackson and Ara Parseghian did not comment about the punch. The incident was not in their field of view, and at that time, replay footage was relayed through the studio in New York City; therefore, they did not see the event.

After the game, OSU Athletic Director Hugh Hindman—who had played for Hayes at Miami University and had been an assistant under him for seven years—privately confronted Hayes in the Buckeye locker room. He said that he intended to tell school president Harold Enarson what happened, and strongly implied that Hayes had coached his last game at Ohio State. After a heated exchange, Hindman said he then offered Hayes a chance to resign, but Hayes refused, saying, "That would make it too easy for you. You had better go ahead and fire me." Hindman then met with Enarson at a country club near Jacksonville, and the two agreed that Hayes had to go.[8]

The next morning, Hindman told Hayes that he had been fired. A press conference was held at the hotel where the team had been staying. The team returned to Columbus around noon, and Hayes left the airport in a police car. Enarson said that he had fired Hayes because "there isn't a university or athletic conference in this country that would permit a coach to physically assault a college athlete."[9] After the incident, Hayes reflected on his career by saying, "Nobody despises to lose more than I do. That's got me into trouble over the years, but it also made a man of mediocre ability into a pretty good coach." Earle Bruce succeeded Hayes as head football coach at Ohio State University.

Many years later, Leonard Downie, Jr., former executive editor of The Washington Post and student journalist at Ohio State, said he regretted not reporting an incident in the 1960s where Hayes instructed a player to take off his helmet and then proceeded to hit him in the head

YouTube - Woody Hayes vs Charlie Bauman - 1978 Gator Bowl