Sinkhole in Guatemala...WOW!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Sinkhole in Guatemala...WOW!!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Gray Court, SC
    Posts
    2,934

    Sinkhole in Guatemala...WOW!!!

    What a sinkhole and it's getting bigger! It looks like a big drain...

    Sinkhole in Guatemala: Giant Could Get Even Bigger





    Ker Than

    for National Geographic News

    Published June 1, 2010

    A huge sinkhole in Guatemala City (map), Guatemala, crashed into being on Sunday, reportedly swallowing a three-story building—and echoing a similar, 2007 sinkhole in Guatemala.

    The 2010 Guatemala sinkhole has likely been weeks or even years in the making—floodwaters from tropical storm Agatha caused the sinkhole to finally collapse, scientists say.

    The sinkhole appears to be about 60 feet (18 meters) wide and about 30 stories deep, said James Currens, a hydrogeologist at the University of Kentucky.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay Area
    Posts
    1,854
    That doesn't even look real! If I had not seen the pics on other new sites I'd swear it was photoshoped. That's some crazy stuff.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Gray Court, SC
    Posts
    2,934
    Quote Originally Posted by KimberPB View Post
    That doesn't even look real! If I had not seen the pics on other new sites I'd swear it was photoshoped. That's some crazy stuff.
    I thought the same thing when I saw it. Luckily I first saw it on Fox News so I knew that they checked it out before reporting on it. It looks like someone bored a hole in the ground. Perfectly round!

    After looking it seems that they have had their share of sinkholes! http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&s...og&sa=N&tab=wi
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay Area
    Posts
    1,854
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    I thought the same thing when I saw it. Luckily I first saw it on Fox News so I knew that they checked it out before reporting on it. It looks like someone bored a hole in the ground. Perfectly round!

    After looking it seems that they have had their share of sinkholes! guatemala sinkhole - Google Search
    Yep I saw that this was not there first one. It is wild how it's like someone just drilled a hole straight down. You'd think it'd have more of a cone shape. Makes you wonder what was under there before it collapsed or if there are more hidden underground caves, ect.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

  6. #5
    Looks like the hole that is swallowing up our tax money.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Gray Court, SC
    Posts
    2,934
    Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Looks like the hole that is swallowing up our tax money.
    No, that one is too small!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

  8. Is Guatamala going to "Tip over, and capsize"?
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by kn1080 View Post
    Is Guatamala going to "Tip over, and capsize"?

    No just fall in the hole and come out on the other side of the world.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    993
    It looks like the gateway to Hell, doesn't it?

    One can understand how the ancient Maya and Aztec would throw offerings into the sinkholes, called cenotes, that dot Mesoamerica to appease the evil spirits they believed dwell down there.

    Ob punchline: I don't think all of the highway maintenance units in all of Guatemala can patch that pothole.

    Would be intriguing to send a UAV down in there to see what the extent of the cavern is. If it shows a throne of skulls, call me.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyInBlue View Post
    It looks like the gateway to Hell, doesn't it?

    One can understand how the ancient Maya and Aztec would throw offerings into the sinkholes, called cenotes, that dot Mesoamerica to appease the evil spirits they believed dwell down there.

    Ob punchline: I don't think all of the highway maintenance units in all of Guatemala can patch that pothole.

    Would be intriguing to send a UAV down in there to see what the extent of the cavern is. If it shows a throne of skulls, call me.
    ɔp 'uoʇƃuıɥsbɐʍ uı ʇno dod noʎ op 'ǝloɥ sıɥʇ oʇuı llɐɟ noʎ ɟı
    Semper Fi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2009 - Wow! What a Year, another blog from Terri
    By gdcleanfun in forum Women & Guns
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 06:12 PM
  2. Words from Commander Jerry Wilson...Wow...OMG!
    By festus in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-09-2009, 04:22 PM
  3. Wow just Wow
    By Sheldon in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-03-2008, 07:41 PM
  4. Texas Sinkhole Becomes Lake
    By HK4U in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-18-2008, 10:06 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-09-2008, 12:09 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast