Sinkhole in Guatemala...WOW!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sinkhole in Guatemala...WOW!!!

Sinkhole in Guatemala...WOW!!!

What a sinkhole and it's getting bigger! It looks like a big drain...

Sinkhole in Guatemala: Giant Could Get Even Bigger

Ker Than

for National Geographic News

Published June 1, 2010

A huge sinkhole in Guatemala City (map), Guatemala, crashed into being on Sunday, reportedly swallowing a three-story building—and echoing a similar, 2007 sinkhole in Guatemala.

The 2010 Guatemala sinkhole has likely been weeks or even years in the making—floodwaters from tropical storm Agatha caused the sinkhole to finally collapse, scientists say.

The sinkhole appears to be about 60 feet (18 meters) wide and about 30 stories deep, said James Currens, a hydrogeologist at the University of Kentucky.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

That doesn't even look real! If I had not seen the pics on other new sites I'd swear it was photoshoped. That's some crazy stuff.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by KimberPB View Post
    That doesn't even look real! If I had not seen the pics on other new sites I'd swear it was photoshoped. That's some crazy stuff.
    I thought the same thing when I saw it. Luckily I first saw it on Fox News so I knew that they checked it out before reporting on it. It looks like someone bored a hole in the ground. Perfectly round!

After looking it seems that they have had their share of sinkholes! http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&s...og&sa=N&tab=wi
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    I thought the same thing when I saw it. Luckily I first saw it on Fox News so I knew that they checked it out before reporting on it. It looks like someone bored a hole in the ground. Perfectly round!

After looking it seems that they have had their share of sinkholes! guatemala sinkhole - Google Search
    Yep I saw that this was not there first one. It is wild how it's like someone just drilled a hole straight down. You'd think it'd have more of a cone shape. Makes you wonder what was under there before it collapsed or if there are more hidden underground caves, ect.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Looks like the hole that is swallowing up our tax money.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Looks like the hole that is swallowing up our tax money.
    No, that one is too small!

8. Is Guatamala going to "Tip over, and capsize"?
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by kn1080 View Post
    Is Guatamala going to "Tip over, and capsize"?

No just fall in the hole and come out on the other side of the world.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

It looks like the gateway to Hell, doesn't it?

One can understand how the ancient Maya and Aztec would throw offerings into the sinkholes, called cenotes, that dot Mesoamerica to appease the evil spirits they believed dwell down there.

Ob punchline: I don't think all of the highway maintenance units in all of Guatemala can patch that pothole.

Would be intriguing to send a UAV down in there to see what the extent of the cavern is. If it shows a throne of skulls, call me.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyInBlue View Post
    It looks like the gateway to Hell, doesn't it?

One can understand how the ancient Maya and Aztec would throw offerings into the sinkholes, called cenotes, that dot Mesoamerica to appease the evil spirits they believed dwell down there.

Ob punchline: I don't think all of the highway maintenance units in all of Guatemala can patch that pothole.

Would be intriguing to send a UAV down in there to see what the extent of the cavern is. If it shows a throne of skulls, call me.
    ɔp 'uoʇƃuıɥsbɐʍ uı ʇno dod noʎ op 'ǝloɥ sıɥʇ oʇuı llɐɟ noʎ ɟı
    Semper Fi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast