Something I found to be disturbing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something I found to be disturbing

Something I found to be disturbing

The past week I have been listening to one of the area's churches advertisment on the radio. The minister wants to show how the movies have a Biblical theme do n't get me wrong I am noit trying to pass judgemnet on their ministry but isn't this hugging ther world a little to close.

Here is a brief discription of what they will be teaching on.

It’s time to begin a new series that I’m especially excited about! This will be a great summer series to invite your friends to.
    We’ve titled the new series, “At the Movies,” because we’ll look at five of this year’s Academy Award winning movies. We’ll explore the Biblical themes and cultural messages that can be found in each film and see how the two intersect and influence our lives.

Here’s the movies we’ll be examining:

• Up (Embrace Life)
    • The Hurt Locker (The Priority of Community)
    • The Blind Side (Transforming Love)
    • Star Trek (The Father's Influence)
    • Invictus (Racial Reconciliation)

Isn’t it amazing how human hearts are seeking truth? People really want to know spiritual reality! Let’s try to convince them to look for truth in the right places, in Jesus Himself, who said, “I am the way, TRUTH and life” (John 14:6).
    Charlotte NC Church - Photos, Videos & Music, Worship, Bible Study, Fellowship and Counseling - South Park, Rock Hill, Ballantyne North Carolina | Forest Hill Church

mojo Guest
    Interesting list of movies and I can see their point of emphasis in each. I guess I;m a little different than some these days, when I go to the movies it is to be entertained,an escape if you will. I dont go in looking for social commentary, points like were made about Avatar and how it sheds a light on the US and what we have done *wrong* etc. Purely for entertainment, that keeps it simple and I always enjoy myself....well as long as the movie is good.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Interesting list of movies and I can see their point of emphasis in each. I guess I;m a little different than some these days, when I go to the movies it is to be entertained,an escape if you will. I dont go in looking for social commentary, points like were made about Avatar and how it sheds a light on the US and what we have done *wrong* etc. Purely for entertainment, that keeps it simple and I always enjoy myself....well as long as the movie is good.
    I totally agree. I go to the movies to be entertained and do not look for social commentary. If it is not an entertaining movie, chance are I am not going to go see it!

Avatar: Half-naked giant smurfs who worship trees for Christ.

Sorry. Hadda do it.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyInBlue View Post
    Avatar: Half-naked giant smurfs who worship trees for Christ.

Sorry. Hadda do it.
    I rarely go to movies. Is Smurfette in this one?

We are talking about a place that is suposed to be teaching the word of God

Watching movies can be like reading the Bible, you can sometimes make it say whatever you want. Watch a movie for what it is, entertainment. Read the entire Bible not just a piece here and there. It amazes me that people keep trying to see things that aren't there.

9. Quote Originally Posted by bigrebnc1861 View Post
    We are talking about a place that is suposed to be teaching the word of God
    Be careful what you say sir. We're really not allowed to be anything other than atheists here. Phrases such as "word of God" or "In Jesus" tend to offend people.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

When houses of worship are trolling for Bible lessons in the lighting, blocking, and special effects of the latest Star Trek flick... There's really no more damage anything I could lob through the church doors could do to the institution of religion as expressed therein than it is already doing to itself.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Quote Originally Posted by kn1080 View Post
    Be careful what you say sir. We're really not allowed to be anything other than atheists here. Phrases such as "word of God" or "In Jesus" tend to offend people.
    Good then I am doing what I am susposed to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast