Alert Issued for 17 Afghan Military Members AWOL From U.S. Air Force Base

Thread: Alert Issued for 17 Afghan Military Members AWOL From U.S. Air Force Base

Exclamation Alert Issued for 17 Afghan Military Members AWOL From U.S. Air Force Base

This can't be good.

FOXNews.com - EXCLUSIVE: Alert Issued for 17 Afghan Military Members AWOL From U.S. Air Force Base
    EXCLUSIVE: Alert Issued for 17 Afghan Military Members AWOL From U.S. Air Force Base

By Jana Winter

Published June 17, 2010

| FOXNews.com

U.S. Air Force

FILE: Air traffic controllers from the 37th Operations Support Squadron prepare to navigate F-16 Falcons down the runway on Lackland Air Force Base.

A nationwide alert has been issued for 17 members of the Afghan military who have gone AWOL from a Texas Air Force base where foreign military officers who are training to become pilots are taught English, FoxNews.com has learned.

The Afghan officers and enlisted men have security badges that give them access to secure U.S. defense installations, according to the lookout bulletin, "Afghan Military Deserters in CONUS [Continental U.S.]," issued by Naval Criminal Investigative Service in Dallas, and obtained by FoxNews.com.

The Afghans were attending the Defense Language Institute at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas. The DLI program teaches English to military pilot candidates and other air force prospects from foreign countries allied with the U.S.

"I can confirm that 17 have gone missing from the Defense Language Institute," said Gary Emery, Chief of Public Affairs, 37th Training Wing, at Lackland AFB. "They disappeared over the course of the last two years, and none in the last three months."

Each Afghan was issued a Department of Defense Common Access Card, an identification card used to gain access to secure military installations, with which they "could attempt to enter DOD installations," according to the bulletin. Base security officers were encouraged to disseminate the bulletin to their personnel.

"The visas issued to these personnel have been revoked, or are in the process of being revoked. Lookouts have been placed in TECS," it reads.

Treasury Enforcement Communications System
    (TECS), which is shared by federal, state and local law enforcement agencies, is a computer-based database used to identify people suspected of violating federal law.

Included in the bulletin are photos of the 17 men, accompanied by their dates of birth and their TECS Lookout numbers.

The bulletin requests, "If any Afghan pictured herein is encountered, detain the subject and contact your local Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) office, the FBI or NCIS."

A senior Defense Department official in Washington told Fox News he had no direct knowledge of the 17 men being AWOL. The official added that this is not the first time foreign trainees have gone missing, and said some cases in the past have turned out to be more of an immigration concern than a national security threat.

The FBI and NCIS did not respond to requests for comment. A Department of Homeland Security spokesman referred FoxNews.com to the FBI.

Click here for the names of the 17 Afghan military members named in the alert.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

That is putting it mildly, HK. Other than Fox news, this story is pretty quiet on the other news sites.
    Semper Fi

wolfhunter Guest
    The article expresses concern about these 17 having DOD CAC cards. The good news is that CAC access can be turned off faster than a visa can be revoked.

From the original post in this thread: "I can confirm that 17 have gone missing from the Defense Language Institute," said Gary Emery, Chief of Public Affairs, 37th Training Wing, at Lackland AFB. "They disappeared over the course of the last two years, and none in the last three months."

The LAST TWO YEARS? And why are they just now releasing this information? The fact that 17 Afghans WITH SECURITY BADGES have disappeared is disturbing enough but add to that the delay in reporting this and one has to wonder how committed, to preventing/fighting terrorism within our borders, our government (DHS) really is.
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    The article expresses concern about these 17 having DOD CAC cards. The good news is that CAC access can be turned off faster than a visa can be revoked.
    While they can be "turned off" many bases only do visual checks of I.D., especially during the busiest times. This allows the possibility of them slipping onto one of these bases. I would hope that all security forces squadrons have been notified and are on the look out. But wait, wouldn't that be "profiling"? If ever there's a time to do that, it's now.

Thumbs down 17 awol afghan military

i raised these same concerns on a diffrent forum and was flammed for sounding like i was trying to stir up things. but if this is not a national security issue i dont know what is. i was told hundreds of us military go awol in conus and overseas each year. but just think about the awol solider from kansas who tried to gain access to McDill AFB with his girlfriend and fortunatly the security was doing there job and found a large supply of weapons and ammo and military gear. and then there was the guy impersonatiting a Msg. and talked a young officer out of night vission goggles again luckely security caught him. things are happening that need to be publisized in a timly manner so that these type of national security issues can be shut down quickly. it is uncocevable that it takes 18 months to 2 yrs for this to come to light.

Check the local strip joints.
    Heavily medicated for your protection.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    While they can be "turned off" many bases only do visual checks of I.D., especially during the busiest times. This allows the possibility of them slipping onto one of these bases. I would hope that all security forces squadrons have been notified and are on the look out. But wait, wouldn't that be "profiling"? If ever there's a time to do that, it's now.
    +1, ronwill. I'm so sick of the touchy feely PC "profiling" garbage...to the detriment of the safety of our own citizens and our national interests. I've said it before, I feel like I'm living in an insane asylum and the patients are in charge!
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by oldvet53 View Post
    i raised these same concerns on a diffrent forum and was flammed for sounding like i was trying to stir up things. but if this is not a national security issue i dont know what is. i was told hundreds of us military go awol in conus and overseas each year. but just think about the awol solider from kansas who tried to gain access to McDill AFB with his girlfriend and fortunatly the security was doing there job and found a large supply of weapons and ammo and military gear. and then there was the guy impersonatiting a Msg. and talked a young officer out of night vission goggles again luckely security caught him. things are happening that need to be publisized in a timly manner so that these type of national security issues can be shut down quickly. it is uncocevable that it takes 18 months to 2 yrs for this to come to light.
    Sounds like THAT other forum is a "sheeple/liberal forum". oldvet. Stick with us at USACarry. Lots of like-minded Patriots and conservatives here who are NOT in denial and who embrace the same ideals that our Founding Fathers did!
    Last edited by Conservative Wife & Mom; 06-19-2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: punctuation error