Tornadoes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tornadoes

Tornadoes

Interesting afternoon, yesterday.

My business partner stopped at my office and asked: "Is that the sirens I hear?" Yup, sure is. So, outside we go (the authorities sound the civil defense sirens which means to "take cover" as tornadoes are about; around here, the sirens are the signal for everyone to go outside and gawk, which I did).

Holy smokes! Tornadoes everywhere! A big 'un about 15 miles west of town, another big 'un about 10 miles west, 2 smaller ones touched down at the airport about 3 miles west of town, and several north and east. Had one client, who operates a welding shop on his farmstead get a call from his daughter telling him a twister was headed for him. Sure enough, he sees it about a mile away. He and his wife contemplated going into the crawl space of his house but opt instead to pile into the pickup and take off. Good thing they did: the farmstead took a direct hit while he sat watching and completely blew the place to smithereens, right down to the concrete pad of his house.

My son was pinned down at work over in Minnesota where the twisters killed 1 person, criticallly injured another and blew some guy out of sight (still haven't found him) at our favorite bait shop/convenience store at the lake.

There were so many twisters around that I met several folks who had pictures on their cell phones. All in all, an interesting evening.

Wadena, MN really got hammered.

So, prayers out for families of those killed and for survivors who lost homes and businesses.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Wow. Tornadoes are not all that common in your neck of the woods are they? Your son was not hurt was he? Seems like there has been a lot of bad storms already this year.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Wow. Tornadoes are not all that common in your neck of the woods are they? Your son was not hurt was he? Seems like there has been a lot of bad storms already this year.
    We're pretty far north, so it's not quite tornado alley, but they're around. I've seen maybe 12-15 in 20 years.

Son was ok, but he wasn't going anywhere, When he was about 15 (10 years ago), he got caught in a bad storm in his truck; he couldn't see to drive and parked. The storm blew his truck around a little and scared the crunch out of him (as it would have me, too). Since then, he takes the warnings pretty seriously.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Prayers will be said for all involved. I'll try and call ya this weekend JJ.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

LEO friend of mine just called: 35 tornadoes were confirmed. Unreal!

He was at the airport doing training with TSA and HS and they watched the twister approach. Just as it got to the southern end of the airport, it lifted, floated above the airport terminal (and all the people taking shelter) and then came back down on the north side. Talk about Divine intervention.

Look forward to the call, 6SC.

From the NOAA site:
    NOUS43 KFGF 180207
    PNSFGF
    MNZ001>009-013>017-022>024-027>032-040-NDZ006>008-014>016-024-
    026>030-038-039-049-052>054-181415-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND FORKS ND
    907 PM CDT THU JUN 17 2010

...STORM DAMAGE SURVEY TEAMS PLANNED FOR FRIDAY JUNE 18...

IN THE WAKE OF THIS AFTERNOONS DEVASTATING TORNADO OUTBREAK
    ACROSS PORTIONS OF EASTERN NORTH DAKOTA AND NORTHWESTERN
    MINNESOTA...THE GRAND FORKS NWS WILL BE DEPLOYING DAMAGE SURVEY
    TEAMS TO BETTER ASCERTAIN THE SEQUENCE AND MAGNITUDE OF THIS
    EVENT.

ONE TEAM WILL VISIT THE HARDEST HIT AREAS OF WEST CENTRAL
    MINNESOTA INCLUDING THE WADENA AREA. A SECOND TEAM WILL INSPECT
    THE DAMAGES REPORTED IN THE FISHER...CROOKSTON AND MENTOR AREAS
    OF NORTHWEST4 MINNESOTA. A THIRD TEAM WILL VISIT THE CENTRAL AND
    NORTHERN RED RIVER VALLEY AREAS OF NORTH DAKOTA INCLUDING THE
    MAYVILLE AND THOMPSON AREAS.

AT THIS TIME THE EXACT EXTENT OF THE DAMAGE OR THE ENHANCED
    FUJITA SCALE OF THE TORNADOES THAT OCCURRED IS UNKNOWN.
    PRELIMINARY INDICATIONS SUGGEST THAT SEVERAL OF THE TORNADOES
    WERE AT LEAST EF3...POSSIBLY GREATER IN INTENSITY.

ALSO...PRELIMINARY STORM DATA SUGGESTS THAT AS MANY AS 20
    TORNADOES MAY HAVE OCCURRED IN THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING HOURS. A
    FINAL NUMBER WILL BE AVAILABLE WITHIN A FEW DAYS.

$$

EWENS
    National Weather Service Text Product Display

What that JJ guy forgot to mention is that the news of the out break of storms made a local TV station out of Detroit. I called JJ While He was standing out side listening for the sirens. Gee George, What are 'hem 'here cool clouds?

JJ, I'm glad the family and friends are safe...
    And thank you for sending the weather this way. NOAA has issued a Storm watch for us now.
    Semper Fi

I wish you guys could send some rain down to Texas. You can keep the tornadoes though we get more then we need already.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by ricbak View Post
    From the NOAA site:

What that JJ guy forgot to mention is that the news of the out break of storms made a local TV station out of Detroit. I called JJ While He was standing out side listening for the sirens. Gee George, What are 'hem 'here cool clouds?

And thank you for sending the weather this way. NOAA has issued a Storm watch for us now.
    I'm obviously pretty clueless when it takes friends from several states away to call me and tell me to take shelter! Pays to have friends who are retired and have the time to watch this stuff. If Ricbak and my partner hadn't said anything, I suppose I would just have sat here in my office until the windows blew out and then looked up...duh...

Glad you and your son are ok, JJ. In Virginia we get hurricanes, but at least we get many days advance warning. Not with tornadoes! Stay safe, My Friend!
    Prayers for ALL who have been adversely impacted by this horrendous weather.
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by ricbak View Post
    From the NOAA site:

yep.. I've had my scanner on a bit listening to NOAA and HAM radio storm chasers.. interesting to hear.. and good to get heads up before the news stations even know.

JJ.. you and your family stay safe.. that's one thing guns can't really protect you from..:)
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast